The complete idiots guide to easily setting up XPM mining on Digital Ocean

This guide will explain to you step by step how to quickly set up several miners without having to make them one by one and do it with almost no typing. As well as setting it up so that even if the server resets your miner will keep on mining.

First set up and account and billing information on digital ocean.

Important- If you are feeling nice you can use my referral code 7ea6639b1f9b so I can get some credit on my account.

Then once that is set up go to create droplet

1. Give it a hostname e.g Myfirstminer1
  2. Select a size. I have found the $20 option to be most efficient
  3. Select region either San Francisco or Amsterdam 2
  4. Select Image Ubuntu 13.04 x64 or 13.10 x64
  5. Click Create Droplet and wait until complete.

Now your droplet is read to be accessed and you will have received an email with the access details. To access your droplet you follow one of the following processes depending on your operating system.
Macs
Open Terminal and use the command ssh root@ then enter your password
Windows
Download and open http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
Paste the ip address you were emailed into the host name box and click open. Then type root as the user and paste in the password (right click to past in windows putty).

You will then enter into the command line of your program and then you copy and paste the following commands in one by one.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install yasm -y git make g++ build-essential libminiupnpc-dev
sudo apt-get install -y libboost-all-dev libdb+±dev libgmp-dev libssl-dev dos2unix
git clone https://github.com/thbaumbach/primecoin
cd ~/primecoin/src
make -f makefile.unix
cd
apt-get install supervisor
mkdir -p /var/log/supervisor
touch /etc/supervisor/conf.d/primecoin.conf
nano /etc/supervisor/conf.d/primecoin.conf

Important - When you input the install supervisor you will be prompted by the terminal to answer a question y/n just type y and press the enter button.
Important - There will be a long wait after you input the makefile.unix command

Now it should have opened a new window in the terminal where you are going to paste in your mining pools details. I have set this example text to run on the American http://beeeeer.org/ mining pool but if you want to mine with a different pool just go to their website and they will tell you the values you need to input in each section e.g. poolpassword.

Example Text below (Edit then Copy it all)

[program:primecoin]
command=/root/primecoin/src/primeminer -pooluser=AVRSjnEdfxYpXTWszca2gcSTvMSARf4wT4 -poolip=54.200.248.75 -poolport=1337 -genproclimit=1 -poolpassword=PASSWORD
stdout_logfile=/var/log/supervisor/%(program_name)s.log
stderr_logfile=/var/log/supervisor/%(program_name)s.log
autorestart=true

Important - Make sure you change pooluser to your wallet address
Important - Make sure you change the genproclimit= value to the number of cpu in your droplet eg if you chose the 20 dollar option you should put 2. Otherwise it will not utilize the other cpu and you will be paying more for nothing.

After you have pasted the edited text above you press cntrl-x for windows or cmd-x for Mac. Then answer y to the question and press enter twice.

You can now enter in these final commands and you will be able to see your miner at work.
/etc/init.d/supervisor stop
/etc/init.d/supervisor start
tail -f /var/log/supervisor/primecoin.log

Important- Here are some rough guides to payout in xpm depending on how long prime found is 7=0.00149 8=0.0165 9=0.1987 10=0.2174 X=0.2224

Now if you just wanted the single miner you can close the program (it will keep running even if the server is reset) and you have finished this guide, but if you want to easily set up copies of this miner keep on reading.

To do this we want to shut down our miner (it has to be powered down in order to clone it), by firstly exiting the log by pressing cntrl-z or cmd-z and then we shut the program down with the following command. Don’t worry it will automatically start up later in this guide.
sudo shutdown -h now
Then you log back in to digital ocean and go to your droplets. You will see the name of your miner click on it and it will take you to a new window. There you will see a tab named snapshot, click it and type in a name for your clone eg miningclone1 then you click make snapshot.

After it finished taking a snapshot go to the images tab on the left side of your digital ocean account, you should see your clone there under snapshots. Click on the globe next to your clone to make it available in all regions. Once that is complete all you have to do to create a new miner is click on the create button and follow these instructions.

1. Give it a hostname e.g Myfirstminer2
  2. Select a size
  3. Select a region
  4. In Select image click on my images and the click on your clone eg. miningclone1
  5. Click Create Droplet and wait until complete.

Now you can clone yourself and army of miners!

Important - Remember if you set up the original miner to use 1 cpu then all the clones you set up should also use the same amount of cpus. Because even if you select an option that has 2 or 8 cpus it will not use them since you have programed the original miner to only use 1 cpu. If you wish to use more or less cpus than what your original miner uses you should create another miner with the correct number of cpus. The other more technical option is to use the nano command in this guide to edit your mining instructions after stopping the supervisor and create a clone of that edited miner.

To monitor your Miners for beeeeer.org go to http://xpm.syware.de/ and paste in your wallet address or http://beeeeer.org/user/ and add your wallet address after user.

If you found this guide useful and are feeling generous you can either refer me when setting up your account in digital ocean
refcode=7ea6639b1f9b
or send a tip
XPM - AVRSjnEdfxYpXTWszca2gcSTvMSARf4wT4
BTC - 1B4c4MwjwoSfayteqQdtP9EePVhHvtjFNH
PPC - PFiAvQkuCxS2vLhnnktzf985rUgwyLFDTo

Update - Replace this line in the code if you want to mine on the new XRam Pool.

-poolip=xpool.xram.co -poolport=1339 -pooluser=AVRSjnEdfxYpXTWszca2gcSTvMSARf4wT4 -poolshare=6 -genproclimit=1

Just wanted to re-post some tips here about mining on digital ocean.

1. Setting up an account
    I advise creating an account and filling out the payment details, but not creating any droplets. Then you come back in an hour and create another account with the same payment details. Once you have filled in the payment details for a second time you should get a support ticket asking you to explain why you have two accounts on the same credit card. Just reply something along the lines you wanted the account to be on your main/work email and they should unlock both. This way you get 10 droplets instead of 5 to start off with.

2. Severs (As in how easy it is to find a droplet that will run at 70% for at least a few days)
    1.New york 1 - Terrible

3. New york 2 - Terrible

4. San Francisco - Good
    4.Amsterdam 1 - Okayish

5. Amsterdam 2 - Good

6. CPU usage
    Now after extensive testing I have found that as long as you CPU usage is above 60% then there is no great difference in the chains per day. eg. I have several time seen identical droplets where one of them is showing 90% cpu usage the others showing 60% cpu usage and they both are making 0.5 chains per day. So don’t bother destroying and rebuilding if your droplet has at least 60% juice. Your better of checking how many chains per day your droplet is making by using the tail -f /var/log/supervisor/primecoin.log command.

7. Chains per day (updated for the new 10+ difficulty)
    $5/month 1cpu option generates 0.0008-0.01 chains/day
    $20/month 2cpu option generates 0.015-0.02 chains/day
    $80/month 4cpu option generates 0.021-0.04 chains/day
    $160/month 8cpu option generates 0.035-0.05 chains/day
    $320/month 12cpu option generates 0.05-0.07 chains/day

If you found this useful and are feeling generous you can either refer me when setting up your account in digitalocean
refcode=7ea6639b1f9b
or send a tip
XPM - AVRSjnEdfxYpXTWszca2gcSTvMSARf4wT4
BTC -1B4c4MwjwoSfayteqQdtP9EePVhHvtjFNH

Bonus
I was testing the $80 a month droplet on two accounts for two days and on the third they increased my available droplets on both accounts from 5-10. Has this happened to anyone else?

Also if your planning on using ubuntu 12.04 then you have install these libraries and then paste in your mining info

apt-get update
apt-get install -y git make g++ build-essential libminiupnpc-dev
apt-get install -y libdb+±dev libgmp-dev libssl-dev dos2unix
apt-get install -y libboost1.48-all libboost-chrono1.48-dev
git clone https://github.com/thbaumbach/primecoin
cd ~/primecoin/src
make -f makefile.unix
cd
apt-get install supervisor
mkdir -p /var/log/supervisor
touch /etc/supervisor/conf.d/primecoin.conf
nano /etc/supervisor/conf.d/primecoin.conf

One question, if I close the PuTTY program, does it stop mining?

run the primeminer in a screen, then it doesn’t stop mining when u close putty.

But I mean I want to turn off the pc, when we were mining through Digital Ocean, we kept 24/7 the VPS doing all the work, but this time the perfomance has considerably decreased. If I turn off the pc and close the program I think it would stop ming right?

lol yes when you switch off the computer/vps where the primeminer is running then it doesn’t mine anything for sure! But when you connect to your mining-server with putty/ssh und you open a screen in this shell, the miner is running even when you log out. But don’t end the screen process.

So that means that it would not mine 24/7 if I have my pc turned off ? :-\

The PC where the miner runs on has to run 24/7 right … :wink:

if you’ve followed DiTo instructions you should have no need to have putty open, as thus be able to shut down your pc if you require without worriying if your mining on digital ocena is still happneing. if you bookmark http://www.beeeeer.org/user/ you should be able to check the progress of your mining.

if you’re having problems with some droplets not working ( by checking the cpu level in digital ocean) to their full potential you again should follow ditos instructions at the top to crate an image so that you can easy create new droplets and destroy ones that aren’t running above 50% cpu.

Yogi, the machine you are running putty or terminal can be shutdown as long as you’ve verified the machine you are ssh’d into is actually mining. This guide looks like a copy of another guide, I don’t know who wrote it first:

http://www.davidedicillo.com/developing/how-to-mine-primecoin-xpm-on-the-cloud/

if you’ve followed DiTo instructions you should have no need to have putty open, as thus be able to shut down your pc if you require without worriying if your mining on digital ocena is still happneing. if you bookmark http://www.beeeeer.org/user/ you should be able to check the progress of your mining.

if you’re having problems with some droplets not working ( by checking the cpu level in digital ocean) to their full potential you again should follow ditos instructions at the top to crate an image so that you can easy create new droplets and destroy ones that aren’t running above 50% cpu.[/quote]
yeah I shut down my pc and it’s still mining and also with better results compared with Debían system

[quote=“skeetnix, post:11, topic:1048”]Yogi, the machine you are running putty or terminal can be shutdown as long as you’ve verified the machine you are ssh’d into is actually mining. This guide looks like a copy of another guide, I don’t know who wrote it first:

http://www.davidedicillo.com/developing/how-to-mine-primecoin-xpm-on-the-cloud/[/quote]

You might also want to login to the miner again and use the tail -f /var/log/supervisor/primecoin.log command to see how many chains per day your minning.

Man I wish I had found that guide would have saved me some time, but its no help if your a complete noobie, dont know about putty and end up manually entering in all the commands :stuck_out_tongue:

opposite for me, i’m getting better results with debian.

opposite for me, i’m getting better results with debian.[/quote]

are you using a vps or your home computer? and how many chains are you getting?

Using vps my home pc whilst a dual quad core has nvidia cards. i love my pc and it hurts me to have it whiring along day and night!

Honestly, i’m unfamiliar with what chains are so i’ve just copied and pasted the below after logging in and using that log command.

i used about 5 droplets on digital ocean. on and off. Deleting and recreating them if any fell below 50%. using a combo of debian and ubuntu on ams 2. ubuntu constantly dropped to 50% on droplets i tried so i switched over to only debian. and then i went from 5 droplets to 2 as i kept on checking the billing balance and usage.

so far, a total of 396 hours a total billed of $11.81 at a current balance: 0.001 ( payout barrier is 3.01 XPM on beer, just received 3 primecoins in my wallet.).

[MASTER] submitted share → SHARE
[STATS] 2013-12-09 17:22:07 | 7-CH: 233 (91.4% | 2.5/h), 8-CH: 19 (7.5% | 0.2/h) , 9-CH: 2 (0.8% | 0.0/h), VL: 255 (93.8%), RJ: 17 (6.2%), ST: 0 (0.0%)
[MASTER] work received
[STATS] 2013-12-09 17:22:47 | 971 primes/s, 15020 tests/s, 360 5-chains/h, 0.5 39 chains/d
[STATS] 2013-12-09 17:23:47 | 991 primes/s, 15386 tests/s, 300 5-chains/h, 0.5 40 chains/d
[MASTER] work received
[STATS] 2013-12-09 17:24:47 | 998 primes/s, 15433 tests/s, 480 5-chains/h, 0.5 45 chains/d
[MASTER] work received
tail -f /var/log/supervisor/primecoin.log Target: 09.fe2042
Chain: 1CC07.b164ba
[MASTER] submitted share → SHARE
[STATS] 2013-12-09 17:22:07 | 7-CH: 233 (91.4% | 2.5/h), 8-CH: 19 (7.5% | 0.2/h) , 9-CH: 2 (0.8% | 0.0/h), VL: 255 (93.8%), RJ: 17 (6.2%), ST: 0 (0.0%)
[MASTER] work received
[STATS] 2013-12-09 17:22:47 | 971 primes/s, 15020 tests/s, 360 5-chains/h, 0.5 39 chains/d
[STATS] 2013-12-09 17:23:47 | 991 primes/s, 15386 tests/s, 300 5-chains/h, 0.5 40 chains/d
[MASTER] work received
[STATS] 2013-12-09 17:24:47 | 998 primes/s, 15433 tests/s, 480 5-chains/h, 0.5 45 chains/d
[MASTER] work received
[STATS] 2013-12-09 17:25:47 | 1009 primes/s, 15441 tests/s, 240 5-chains/h, 0.544 chains/d
[STATS] 2013-12-09 17:26:47 | 967 primes/s, 14776 tests/s, 360 5-chains/h, 0.526 chains/d
[MASTER] work received

Forgive me for asking a stupid question… but i cant find anyway to get my password put into putty. And now i am locked out due to many refusals. Can you help me or offer me an alternative?

after you have registered on digital ocean you have to check your inbox mail and open the message where your username and password is, just copy the pass and right-click after you wrote root on the PuTTY window and enter

I get that. I have the email. I have typed in root. But once the password line comes up i can not type or copy and paste any longer…

I also cant type or paste the password in Digital Oceans terminal access either… if that helps any

if you use putty highlight the password from your email rightclick and choose copy. , click on putty and just right click and press the enter key on your keyboard.