Super3 is Requesting us to Rewrite the Short Description on Peercoin.net

Along with reorganizing the top banner of the website, Super3 said he wants to update the short Peercoin description. Here is what he said…

“I think we should update the blurb. We assume that already know what Bitcoin is if they are visiting Peercoin. We should say something about energy efficiency, and interest via proof of stake.”

Here is what the short description currently says…

“Peercoin is an open source peer-to-peer Internet currency. It enables instant payments to anyone! No banks, no fraud, no hidden-fees. Just money the way it should be.”

We need to come up with a short description around the same length that labels Peercoin’s most important features in an easy to understand manner (Nothing complicated). It doesn’t need to explain in detail either. Let’s save the details for further down the page.

We just need a hook, a reason to motivate people to continue reading down the page. Right now it just sounds generic as all cryptocurrencies do what is listed in that paragraph. We need to convey how we’re completely different from Bitcoin and all its clones.

Not sure calling it “interest” is a good idea, because really, it is not interest. I can just see some sort of legal battles down the road if you go into claiming it as interest. It is just an equally distributed increase in money supply.

Just spitballin:

“Peercoin is the first cryptocurrency to integrate Proof of Stake whereby it will consume far less energy and achieve a much higher degree of security than Bitcoin; all while rewarding it’s holders 1% interest anually. Intrigued? Read on!”

Do we want to avoid mentioning Bitcoin or no?

Peercoin’s innovative design introduces ‘proof-of-stake consensus’ replacing the ‘proof-of-work consensus’ used by Bitcoin. This allows Peercoin network to consume far less energy and achieve higher degree of security than Bitcoin, all while maintaining very low inflation rate.

I think we should make it a point to go after Bitcoin. They are our main competition after all. We should make it clear that we’re offering improvements over the current system.

This sounds great and hits a lot of the major points, better than Bitcoin, energy efficiency, higher security and lower inflation. I would just add a couple words to make it sound better…

“Peercoin’s innovative design introduces ‘proof-of-stake consensus’ replacing the ‘proof-of-work consensus’ used by Bitcoin. This allows the Peercoin network to consume far less energy and achieve a higher degree of security than Bitcoin, all while maintaining a very low inflation rate.”

If nobody can think of anything better, I think we have a winner.

Right on. Somewhere on the page it should mention the fixed transaction fee which could help protect Peercoin by being crushed by the girth of it’s own blockchain.

That sounds like something to explain in the details section below the banner.

That sounds like something to explain in the details section below the banner.[/quote]

Correct, currently it doesn’t mention it and I see it as a major feature.

That whole section needs to be redesigned in my opinion because it sounds overly complicated to new people. We could add more features and details while we’re at it. Super3 needs content writers to help him though, so if anybody wants to help out, just message him.

This sounds great and hits a lot of the major points, better than Bitcoin, energy efficiency, higher security and lower inflation. I would just add a couple words to make it sound better…

“Peercoin’s innovative design introduces ‘proof-of-stake consensus’ replacing the ‘proof-of-work consensus’ used by Bitcoin. This allows the Peercoin network to consume far less energy and achieve a higher degree of security than Bitcoin, all while maintaining a very low inflation rate.”

If nobody can think of anything better, I think we have a winner.[/quote]

I feel the above are too technical to those ordinary folks: ‘proof-of-stake consensus’, ‘proof-of-work consensus’, Peercoin network. To tone it down, how about

Peercoin’s innovative design introduces ‘proof-of-stake consensus’ that allows far less energy to be consumed to achieve a higher degree of security than Bitcoin, all while maintaining a very low inflation rate.

Still the above is all about technology. We should say something like PPC has an active community around it, and that it is widely accepted (so far the third largest cryptocurrency by market cap. )

I tried to make it a little simpler to understand. I got rid of the word consensus, since it sounds confusing. Even though newbies might not know the meaning of proof-of-stake and proof-of-work, I think that’s fine because you don’t really need to know what they mean in order to understand the paragraph. It’s basically saying that the new feature used by Peercoin replaces the old system used by Bitcoin, without confusing people with explanations. It then goes on to mention the benefits of this new feature, energy efficiency, higher security and lower inflation.

“Peercoin’s innovative design introduces “proof-of-stake,” a feature which replaces the “proof-of-work” system used by Bitcoin. This feature allows the Peercoin network to consume far less energy and achieve a higher degree of security than Bitcoin, all while maintaining a very low inflation rate.”

What do you all think? Can we put it up or does it still need more work?

Peercoin's innovative design introduces "proof-of-stake," a feature which replaces the "proof-of-work" system used by Bitcoin. This feature allows the Peercoin network to consume far less energy and achieve a higher degree of security than Bitcoin, all while maintaining a very low inflation rate.

This may be splitting hairs, but wouldn’t this be more accurate?

Peercoin's innovative design introduces "proof-of-stake," a feature which [b]augments[/b] the "proof-of-work" system [b]that it shares with Bitcoin[/b]. This feature allows the Peercoin network to consume far less energy and achieve a higher degree of security than Bitcoin, all while maintaining a very low inflation rate.

PoS isn’t a replacement for PoW, because we’ll always(?) still have that, even when PoS is the predominant mechanism for coin creation and block validation.

Well, the word replace came from Sunny King, though I’m sure he was just trying to simplify the paragraph so as not to confuse people. Which version should we go with people? Does this change matter that much for new people or no? Let’s figure this out so we can get something put up.

Now that I’ve had time to think on it, I actually don’t like that. When it talks about augmenting proof-of-work, it sounds as if Peercoin is just changing to a different version of proof-of-work, rather than it being something completely different. I tried again and I think this is much more accurate.

What do you all think of this version? I think it’s much more accurate now, but is my use of grammar correct? I get kind of fuzzy when using quotation marks.

I like that a lot, and it’s concise.

Thanks. If a couple other people confirm this is good then I’ll send it to Super3.

Is it possible to have different summaries on the front page that rotate every 30 seconds?

This way repeat visitors to the site, don’t have to look at the same paragraph, each and every time, for months?

By the way, earlier I had recommended something similar to this:

[size=10pt]PPcoin has technological advancements that outshine Bitcoin in the long term. PPCoin uses Proof of Stake (the age of your coins) to keep
the network functional. This requires a lot less electricity, is more secure, and is a greener alternative to Bitcoin. PPCoin has wide acceptance already.
Do not miss the opportunity to get involved![/size]

Remember that we’re primarily speaking to non-technical people at this stage. Investors with money, that know how to install a wallet, and trade coins is the backing we’d like PPCoin to have…

Miners have already checked out the whitepaper and already read the announce post at bitcointalk.

The front page of peercoin.net has to cater to people looking for an investment opportunity. We need it to quickly explain (in simple layman’s terms) why PPCoin is a better solution to Bitcoin.

Most financial investors really don’t know (or care) what a proof-of-work is, nor a proof-of-stake. Using those technical terms as part of your sales pitch isn’t going to help explain why peercoin is a good investment. In order for PPC to hold value, it needs people to trade their fiat for it initially. Let’s reach those people without bogging them down with technical words that need a glossary to understand.

[size=12pt]If you have an idea to help, now is the time to speak up! :)[/size]

You bring up an interesting point, PPCMan.

In my other life, I work on software systems, many of which have a large public-facing marketing component. One of the first things that our marketers try to appeal to is the lowest common denominator. Usually, this is a market segment that you’d try to avoid, but realistically, they are really the ones that you should be appealing to.

One of the challenges that Bitcoin has right now is that it’s perceived to be unbelievably complex to the average person. Now, in reality, it’s actually pretty simple if you break it down to follow the “flow”, but if you think about how it is perceived, just the class of assets itself, “cryptocurrency” appears to be almost intentionally designed to scare people off.

[sub]Sidebar, but I’d love to know who originally coined the term – it was either a geek or a financial analyst (who may have been using it as an underhanded slight).[/sub]

Peercoin has a better chance to succeed if it can speak to all citizens of the world, rather than just those that understand what SHA-256 is, or who can comprehend the concept of coin-age.

I could totally get started into a rant about this, so I’ll cut it short for now :slight_smile:

Below the banner, the details section on my screen is below the “fold” so to speak.

I didn’t even realize there was anything at the bottom of the screen until I scrolled down one day and found it by accident.

Anything important needs to be on the top 1/2 of the browser window within the first 768 pixels in height. Anything less important can be below the “fold” or at the bottom, requiring someone to scroll down to see it.

Think of tablets, older laptops, and cell phones. Most of them won’t scroll endlessly to see that type of info.

Information loses it’s value the further down the page where it is located.

[quote=“ppcman, post:17, topic:732”]Is it possible to have different summaries on the front page that rotate every 30 seconds?

This way repeat visitors to the site, don’t have to look at the same paragraph, each and every time, for months?

By the way, earlier I had recommended something similar to this:

[size=10pt]PPcoin has technological advancements that outshine Bitcoin in the long term. PPCoin uses Proof of Stake (the age of your coins) to keep
the network functional. This requires a lot less electricity, is more secure, and is a greener alternative to Bitcoin. PPCoin has wide acceptance already.
Do not miss the opportunity to get involved![/size]

Remember that we’re primarily speaking to non-technical people at this stage. Investors with money, that know how to install a wallet, and trade coins is the backing we’d like PPCoin to have…

Miners have already checked out the whitepaper and already read the announce post at bitcointalk.

The front page of peercoin.net has to cater to people looking for an investment opportunity. We need it to quickly explain (in simple layman’s terms) why PPCoin is a better solution to Bitcoin.

Most financial investors really don’t know (or care) what a proof-of-work is, nor a proof-of-stake. Using those technical terms as part of your sales pitch isn’t going to help explain why peercoin is a good investment. In order for PPC to hold value, it needs people to trade their fiat for it initially. Let’s reach those people without bogging them down with technical words that need a glossary to understand.

[size=12pt]If you have an idea to help, now is the time to speak up! :)[/size][/quote]Ok I think we have something to work with here. Maybe:

Peercoin has technological advancements that outshine Bitcoin in the long term. Peercoin uses Proof of Stake to keep the network functional. This requires a lot less electricity, is more secure, is a greener alternative to Bitcoin, and gives a small reward for holding onto your coins.