Sunny Shared Some Information About Sidechain Development With me

Hey everyone, I had a short conversation with Sunny about sidechain development. He told me I could share the info with everyone. Please note that this is still in the research/experiment stage, so there can be no promises or release schedules made. It’s just a teaser for what could be possible in the future…

Hey Sunny, from what I understand you seem to be either developing or researching sidechains for Peercoin and Primecoin. I'm not sure how informed you are of the developments others are making in this area. I'm not informed myself, but this was posted on our subreddit...

http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/2ehl36/sidechains_implementation_is_a_race_between/

Bitcoin’s core developer Jeff Garzik seems to be working on sidechains as well. Maybe there is some valuable info on his Twitter account? It seems like it might be a race between you two.:stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, just passing along the info in case you didn’t already know.

Thanks for the pointer. My focus is probably somewhat different from theirs, as I am more focused on providing data services on sidechains, but bitcoin devs are more into passing bitcoins between the chains. From the sound of it Jeff is probably considering supporting high volume micropayments on the sidechains.

Would you be able to give me an example of what you mean by data applications? I’m just trying to get an idea of what would be possible.

Basically everything you see outside currency transactions (namecoin, ripple, bitshare, peershare etc) and a lot more. My main goal is to provide a common infrastructure to make it easier for developers to create such services.

That sounds great! I imagine that would draw a lot more developers to Peercoin, which is something we really need right now. You’d basically be creating a playground for them to try out anything they want.

Is this something I can share with the community, or would you rather wait until you have something to show to talk about it? The reason I ask is because many people at least on our subreddit don’t seem to understand what sidechains are. The question about what they are comes up all the time.

Sure I don’t mind you talk about this topic, I think I have already implied it in my earlier interviews. But just note it’s still in research/experiment stage so I cannot yet make a schedule or promise of any kind. I think my focus is somewhat different from bitcoin’s side, I am not really putting any effort into cross-chain coin transfer. Rather I see the sidechain platform as a decentralized database solution with some link to a common base currency.

Best Regards!

Posted on Reddit as well…

http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/2euklo/sunny_shared_some_information_about_sidechain/

Sounds pretty similar to Open Transactions, no? It would be interesting to know in what way it is specific to Peercoin (or Primecoin).

I guess SK’s side chain is for storage of various virtual asset, not a universal transaction platform. Am I right?

We just don’t really know. Maybe he’ll respond with his thoughts here, maybe not.

I think blockchain tech is more suitable for storage rather than high volume/micropayment.

Off chain solution will be better at daily transaction.

[quote=“sabreiib, post:6, topic:2840”]I think blockchain tech is more suitable for storage rather than high volume/micropayment.

Off chain solution will be better at daily transaction.[/quote]

So are you thinking anything stored on Peercoin sidechains would be tradable on OT or other off-chain networks?

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:7, topic:2840”][quote=“sabreiib, post:6, topic:2840”]I think blockchain tech is more suitable for storage rather than high volume/micropayment.

Off chain solution will be better at daily transaction.[/quote]

So are you thinking anything stored on Peercoin sidechains would be tradable on OT or other off-chain networks?[/quote]
Yes. I guess SK philosophy is that decentralized blockchain asset suitable for safe storage while centralized/semi centralized solution better for transaction due to high performance and low fee.