Steps to Removing Checkpoints?

[quote=“seki, post:20, topic:2614”]ok, thanks i understand. the thing is that since cryptocoins are mainly software, there is always the need for an
experienced dev team to support and maintain it.
although this is not considered centralization due to the open source of the software. but in any case i am trusting the coin’s
dev team and the ways it chooses to make the coin safe.
even if the checkpointing is stopped, i will still have to trust the dev team that they are doing a good job to secure
the coin. this makes the coin non-trustless.
you see my point here, i cannot name a coin decentralized if it isn’t trustless or you thing they are different aspects of a coin?[/quote]
I’m with you in trusting the developer to some extent that the coin is secure. I’m also keen to remove single points of failure. So I still have to trust the developer to remove checkpoints when they think it is safe.
When there is still a good chance to compromise the network there won’t be many people seriously investing in it anyway. So removing the checkpoint is an indirect objective. Improving security to a certain level comes first in my opinion. The question is what is an appropriate level? As that varies for many of us, the step of providing an option to ignore checkpoints is great as this removes the single point of failure for those who want that and think the network is secure enough. When something serious happens to the network they can always- choose- to return to a safe haven and roll back to the latest checkpoint. So the network is decentralised and the backup is centralised I guess.

Taking risks is good, some insurance (mitigation) to cover the risks is better. Banks following the same business model. No one expect to be empty handed when the local bank is robbed. You expect to get your money back (or still available to you).

You have to weigh the risk against benefit. What’s the meaning of truly decentralized? Why do bitcoin use hard checkpoint in source code? So there is an argument to be made that bitcoin isn’t truly decentralized.

When checkpoint feature is disabled by default, the level of decentralization is not all that different from bitcoin. Instead of the devs asking everyone to upgrade client, the devs ask everyone to turn on checkpoint enforcement.[/quote]

Hi Sunny, I totally understand your concern about the security of the PPC network and I do agree the safety comes first. However, would you ever consider to remove the check point completely in the future when PPC minting (after cold locked minting comes out) becomes popular? Cheers