Starting the Wiki Buildout

I’m going to stand up a MediaWiki server on one of my domains, so that I can start to build out the major sections of the Peercoin wiki. This isn’t something that I’m going to be able to do alone, but hopefully if I can provide a framework, we’ll be able to crowd source the first run of content and then refine it from there.

@Super3, I know you’ve been busy lately, and haven’t had a chance to take a deeper look at what’s going on with the current /wiki page, but do you have any problem with me getting something set up and then we can port it over ASAP?

Wiki Software Suggestion
I’m familiar with MediaWiki, it’s open source, well supported, and considering that Wikipedia’s built on it, I know it scales really well. We’ll most likely have to do a bit of customization, but that’s pretty much a given with anything. My intent would be to use Blue Spice, which is a customized version of MediaWiki with a couple of extensions to make it easier to add in content with a WYSIWIG editor, better user management, security and a very useful, assignable content review workflow.

High-level Content Organization
I’m putting together my notes right now, but i’ll update this thread later today with my thoughts on how we could initially structure the content that would go into the wiki.

Does anyone have any objections to me getting started with building the staging site?

if the wiki is similar to the one used on devtome I am happy to help pad out and get some info in there… think it gonna take a collective effort to get all the info we need in there.

Fuzzybear

I’ll look at the tools that Devtome uses.

Edit: They use DokuWiki

I’ll pulled together an overview of what could be included in the initial buildout of the Peercoin wiki.

Please review when you have a chance, and add comments for things that I’ve missed, or areas that could be modified

I’ve got Mediawiki running on an EC2 instance, so I’ll use that to get the visual styles in place and to stub out the pages that we decide on. You can view that effort here:

http://ec2-54-204-186-131.compute-1.amazonaws.com/

It literally was just created, so I haven’t had a chance to add anything distinguishing to the installation, so please mind the mess :slight_smile:

…just in case we have issues with PM again…

The google doc looks good. There will be lots of pages in that wiki to be filled :wink: But I really like the scope! Good job!
This will help those who are new to Peercoin (or even crypto commodities at all) to get an overview and as much information as needed to get a start.
…and it will save us from writing the same things over in the forum and over once more people develop interest in Peercoin and join the forum or the one at bitcointalk.

The only thing I’d like to change is the order of the “Getting started” section.
I’d prefer that order:

[ul][li]Types of wallets[/li]
[list]
[li]Peercoin client[/li]
[li]Exchanges[/li]
[li]Paper wallet[/li]
[/list]
[li]Setting up a Peercoin wallet[/li]
[list]
[li]Windows[/li]
[li]Mac[/li]
[li]Linux[/li]
[/list]
[li]Securing your wallet[/li]
[li]Backing up your wallet[/li]
[li]Proof-of-stake minting[/li]
[list]
[li]Windows[/li]
[li]Mac[/li]
[li]Linux[/li]
[/list][/ul]

I find it - from a logial perspective (knowing that this is highly subjective :wink: ) - in a better order.
One might first want to know about types of wallets, before installing one (although I bet most will install a local client just because of the control over the coins and the ease of back ups amongst the possibility to do PoS minting…).

And I’d like to have - in case of a local client - an

[ul][li]encrypted and [/li]
[li]backed up wallet before I’d even think about[/li]
[li]PoS minting;[/li][/ul]

but that is because I know about Peercoin :wink:

I hope 0.4 is soon out and has a peercoin-qt that can really be unlocked for PoS minting only. I wouldn’t like to highlight that incorrect behaviour of the qt in the wiki, but it would be necessary.
Not knowing about that could put the Peercoins (caution: play on words) at stake! :wink:

I like those changes, thanks, MoD.

If you have a little time today, would you mind highlighting which of the sections, in your opinion, need to be on the wiki, and well populated as of “Day 1”?

Also, I’d like to get more input from others, but being a wiki, and something that is expected to evolve over time, we can proceed without the feedback, if people don’t have time right now to get to it.

Hey,

I think for “day 1” those topics might be good:

[ul][li]Introduction to Peercoin[/li]
[list]
[li]Basic Concepts[/li]
[li]Peercoin Basics[/li]
[/list][/ul]

[ul][li]Getting Started[/li]
[list]
[li]Types of wallets[/li]
[list]
[li]Peercoin client[/li]
[li]Exchanges[/li]
[li]Paper wallet[/li]
[/list]
[li]Setting up a Peercoin wallet[/li]
[list]
[li]Windows[/li]
[li]Mac[/li]
[li]Linux[/li]
[/list]
[li]Securing your wallet[/li]
[li]Backing up your wallet[/li]
[/list][/ul]

[ul][li]Peercoin Myths[/li][/ul]

Before someone starts PoS minting, it might be good to be familiar with Peercoin. This is no “day 1 topic” imho.
But it might be too much for “day 1” already…

Very good that this is progressing.

I would like to do the translations to German and Spanish. Now we must think about the multilingual structure of the wiki. In MediaWiki there are basically three approaches:

• the Wikipedia approach: one installation/subdomain for each language. Long-term this could be probably the best approach, above all because it avoids the problem with non-latin charsets (Chinese, Arabic, Hebrew …). Perhaps it would not be necessary at the start as it’s complicated to add new languages.
  • Manually mantained subpages for every language: We would have pages like “Introduction to Peercoin/de” and “Introduction to Peercoin/en”. Problem: A bit counter-intuitive, and there are problems for languages with non-latin charsets. Could be the way to go for the start.
  • Language Extension Bundle: It’s a more systematic approach and I think the best one for the first year of the wiki, as it provides tools for non-latin charsets and for translation of pages. See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_Language_Extension_Bundle.

I like the proposed structure.

Other question: What license are you willing to use? I support the established CC-BY-SA used by Wikipedia.

Was this postponed for Christmas? Just wondering what’s going on with it, haven’t heard anything.

It was. I’ve had people in and out of the house. It should start to calm down in a day or two and I can get back into it.

I’ll post an update as soon as there’s been progress. Anyone is free to set up an account over there and poke around/add foundation links, if you’d like to get started.

We still need to come to consensus if this is going to be something linked to peercoin.net or if it will use one of the domains I registered (www.peercoinwiki.com/net/org). I’m open to either, and we don’t need to make the decision right now, but it would be nice to know what the next steps need to be.

I think we should use peercoin.net/wiki as the main address and peercoinwiki.com as a forwarding address that we can get people to use. The same should go with peercoinmyths.com. Those myths should be moved into the main website at peercoin.net/myths and use the current address as a memorable forwarding address.

odiot

What? ???