Staked Coins

Hallo im new here and have a question. I already asked this question on the Bitcointalk forum.

Today i opened my PPC wallet after a long time and found out that there are no coins.

But some weird transactions.

Here one of them:
Datum: 13.04.2013 14:09
Belastung: 0.00 PPC
Nettobetrag: -283.552158 PPC
Transaktions-ID: f2ba648b81b0e252f0b4fbb1c4623662c5331f9c698868bf4186793c56ff1824

Staked coins must wait 520 blocks before they can return to balance and be spent. When you generated this proof-of-stake block, it was broadcast to the network to be added to the block chain. If it fails to get into the chain, it will change to “not accepted” and not be a valid stake. This may occasionally happen if another node generates a proof-of-stake block within a few seconds of yours.

Please can somebody tell me what hapened to my coins.

greetings
maxl

For reference: this is the corresponding post on bitcointalk.org:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=343357.msg3678528#msg3678528

The posts there might make it easier to start with a proper trouble shooting.

This transaction date is from April 13, 2013 ?

Is this the last transaction from your wallet?

Is the date on your computer set correctly?

This is the last transaction of the wallet.
The date of the pc is correct.

Well you are in luck. That transaction never made it to the blockchain yet. (I searched that transaction hash and couldn’t find it at http://www.cryptocoinexplorer.com:2750/)

This appears to be a stale transaction that was never confirmed by the network. A variety of reasons could cause this, most notably it was part of an orphaned block chain during a fork of the network. Since your client was offline for so long, it never realized that the transaction never went through and it is just sitting their waiting for the transaction to complete (which it never will).

The coins are safe, it is just a matter of getting your ppcoin-qt wallet to see them again.

DISCLAIMER: I have not done this procedure yet, I just get the theory behind it. Do your own research before attempting anything.

It appears that only your wallet believes these coins went somewhere (especially since it signed it). What I would do (if this were me, and it’s not, so you decide)

is… this…

a) Export your private key and all receiving addresses to a safe place (paper wallet) using the “dumpprivkey” command.

b) Uninstall and delete your ppcoin-qt software completely. (scarey, I know, so make sure step (A) is done correctly above. Or even better, do this on a SECOND COMPUTER)

c) Re-install a new fresh ppcoin-qt, let it re-download the blockchain, your coin balance will be 0

d) Re-import your private key with “importprivkey” command. Your client will now re-scan the ENTIRE blockchain looking for any transactions that it can decode. Be patient.

When your “new” ppcoin-qt wallet reads the blockchain, it will see all of these coins, and that strange transaction that never made it to the blockchain will no longer be there and you should have your coins back.

AGAIN WARNING - BE SURE OF HOW TO DO THIS, OR GET SOMEONE MORE EXPERIENCED THAN YOU TO HELP YOU IF YOU ARE NOT 100% COMFORTABLE ON HOW THIS WORKS.

I like the idea of doing that on a separate computer.

I have it tried on my pc now. But i only secured my wallet.dat then deinstalled ppcoin. Than i let the blockchain load and put my old wallet.dat back in, But this doesn´t work.

How can i export the private key on widows?

[quote=“maxl, post:7, topic:899”]I have it tried on my pc now. But i only secured my wallet.dat then deinstalled ppcoin. Than i let the blockchain load and put my old wallet.dat back in, But this doesn´t work.

How can i export the private key on widows?[/quote]

Of course it did not work.

wallet.dat not only contains your receiving addresses and your private key, but also your past transactions.

We don’t want that non-confirmed transaction.

Never did I recommend you copy your wallet.dat, reinstall, and then put the wallet.dat back. Doing that will have yielded no benefits to you. (as you saw)

What we are trying to do by exporting your private key, reinstalling, and then reimporting your private key is basically re-building your wallet.dat so that the transaction containing -283.552158 coins isn’t in the wallet.dat anymore.

0.4 of the PPCoin client should let you have a debug console, so it will be easier to enter commands. Perhaps wait for the next version.

Otherwise you will have to go into an MSDOS command prompt to export the private key, and this is getting pretty technical fast. Some google searches and reading on bitcointalk.org will probably yield lots of information on how private keys work, etc.

Unless someone here wants to take over leading you through the MSDOS command prompt method of running ppcoind after configuring ppcoin.conf to export and import keys.

At this stage, I highly recommend you research creating a paper wallet and restoring a paper wallet, either with ppcoin or bitcoin, they are similar procedures. Get a good understanding of it.

Just trying to run commands you see on a forum isn’t going to work for you. The reason I know that, is that you took it upon yourself to copy this wallet.dat file off, and put it back on, without listening to my instructions. I don’t want to be responsible for you not listening to what I’m telling you a second time.

The information is out there. Read through it all. (Unless of course, someone wants to stand up and help you lead you further). I’ve given you a lot of hints already. Do some actual reading and google searches about paper wallets and it will make sense.

Taking the lazy way of having someone hand you commands might cause you to make a mistake if you do not fully understand the procedures and why they are necessary. Educate yourself first, fully understand it, and then attempt to do it.

I don’t mean to be rude. I’m seriously concerned about you making an error and then getting upset if you do some irreversible harm during the export / import process of your private key.

If you don’t understand the concept of why you are doing, what you are doing, and what all the relevant files are (ppcoind, ppcoin.conf, wallet.dat), what they contain, how they are used, etc, then you should not be touching them.

AGAIN WARNING - BE SURE OF HOW TO DO THIS, OR GET SOMEONE MORE EXPERIENCED THAN YOU TO HELP YOU IF YOU ARE NOT 100% COMFORTABLE ON HOW THIS WORKS.