Stake vs staked

On another thread, I read the following from Ben (I have underlined one word):

“When I solve a block using stake, the newly created transaction (stake + reward) is given a coinAge=0, and then is put into a “staked” state for 520 network confirmations (~3.5 days). Once released from this state, that newly created transaction will be eligible to try to solve for another block in ~27.5 days.”

Ben is referring to coins that have successfully minted and solved a stake, and uses the past tense (“staked”)

I believe these coins are the ones indicated on the client Overview tab, under the balance - however, the label is “stake” (present tense)

I think it would make better sense if the label was “staked”, since these coins are committed. If developers agree with this, would it be possible to change the label?

That’s a reasonable and simple change to make. I’ll make the update to Peerunity in the near future when I push a bunch of UI changes for review.

It’s confusing either way without understanding the inner workings. It’s not confusing either way with knowledge of the inner workings. I think the label should be just “frozen”. And maybe an explanation box popping out if one float the cursor over the label…

Yes the single word “staked” can be confusing based on the interpretation of it’s tense.

I’m afraid “frozen” has too much of a negative connotation when it comes to money (unless you’re Walt Disney!)… I’d recommend simply “locked” with a popup to explain the relation to securing the blockchain and the number of confirmations remaining before the stake can be spent.

Let me rewind a bit, and mention when I first noticed this issue. A month or so ago, I started minting. I checked out my coin age days, and all was good. After a week or two, I noticed the “Stake” indicator on the Overview page. Even though it is underneath “Balance”, I had not registered it before. The Stake read “0.00 PPC”

My instinctive reaction was that no peercoins were minting. I raised a question on these forums, and someone explained that this refers to coins that have minted (past tense, note) and so taken out of action for a while.

To my mind, therefore, “Stake” should refer to coins minting, and “Staked” to those that have minted

The next question is whether Staked is the best word to describe the post-minting stage, as opposed to Frozen or Locked. In my view, the problem with these two words is that they have a single meaning, along the lines of “suspended”. They do not imply that something good has happened to cause that suspension

By contrast, a good word is “matured”, as this implies both a suspension, and that something good has happened to cause that stop, i.e. a process has been completed

The advantage with “Staked” is that it keeps the lingo consistent (e.g. Proof of Stake)

Or perhaps we could just simply say “Coins minted

But I suppose my main point is that the wallet describes three categories, when really we need four:

Balance (all confirmed coins)
Unconfirmed
Stake (those coins which have reached the 30 day period and so can be minted)
Coins minted / staked / locked / frozen (those that have minted)

Sorry to bump as I know this isn’t exactly a priority, but it is something that continues to cause confusion as seen by a post on the subreddit yesterday.

Unless consensus on which term to use has been reached before the next Peerunity release, I think it would be good to just stick with the current term, but have a popup explainer as suggested by mhps and learnmore.

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:5, topic:2699”]The next question is whether Staked is the best word to describe the post-minting stage, as opposed to Frozen or Locked. In my view, the problem with these two words is that they have a single meaning, along the lines of “suspended”. They do not imply that something good has happened to cause that suspension

By contrast, a good word is “matured”, as this implies both a suspension, and that something good has happened to cause that stop, i.e. a process has been completed

The advantage with “Staked” is that it keeps the lingo consistent (e.g. Proof of Stake)

Or perhaps we could just simply say “Coins minted

But I suppose my main point is that the wallet describes three categories, when really we need four:

Balance (all confirmed coins)
Unconfirmed
Stake (those coins which have reached the 30 day period and so can be minted)
Coins minted / staked / locked / frozen (those that have minted)[/quote]

What about the term “Reserved” or “in Reserve” or with a counter indicating the number of hours “X hours left in Reserve status” ?

I also like the “coins minted” wording.

The explanatory popup idea sounds good too.