Sponsoring 'The Daily Decrypt'

Hi all,

Check out The Daily Decrypt, if you haven’t already.

[quote=“parsonage, post:1, topic:3790”]Hi all,

Check out The Daily Decrypt, if you haven’t already.

Their videos are gaining popularity fast. Each video clocks over 1000 views (Sometimes up to 40,000)

I think we should crowd fund sponsorship of 1 or 5 episodes, we can even pay with Peercoin - http://thedailydecrypt.com/sponsorship/

Sponsorship for 1 episode = $55
Sponsorship for 1 week (5 episodes) = $250

The sponsorship ‘snippet’ on each episode is around 20 seconds. For an example see here - https://youtu.be/WJkh3b_ykTA?t=2m3s

I pledge 50ppc for this, though I’m sorry to say I cannot take the lead as I’m out of the country in a week or two, with no access to internet.

We’d also need a discussion on what content we’d like on the video.[/quote]

Agreed, we should do it.

However, I would wait for 0.5 release as now community seems pretty dormant and uninterested. Maybe after the release we will see some new people and some old folks will return to the forum.

[quote=“peerchemist, post:2, topic:3790”]Agreed, we should do it.

However, I would wait for 0.5 release as now community seems pretty dormant and uninterested. Maybe after the release we will see some new people and some old folks will return to the forum.[/quote]
Support it too, timing is of the essence though as Peerchemist says.
We could submit a proposal to FB as he inherited the Marketing Funds. This would be a good use of it.

Would this simply be an ad for Peercoin, or is this an ad about the release of v0.5 and trying to get the news out there to more people?

I think it would primarily be an ad for Peercoin. But it always helps when you can advertise ‘news’ or built on it. The release of 0.5 would be just that.

This is great. I’ll gladly pledge 50 PPC also for this marketing.

I’d imagine that waiting for v0.5 release would be best. Although, what would be the harm of having a pre-release advertisement to build awareness and anticipation for v0.5?
For the Ad we should take into consideration that a significant portion of The Daily Decrypt’s videos educate/have educated their viewers about ethereum. I say this because many of the individuals that will be watching will immediately compare Peercoin to what they are most knowledgeable in. There has been discussion regarding eth’s eventual move to Proof of Stake, of which was covered on The Daily Decrypt, and we should capitalize on the association. Peercoin still stands to this day as a testament and the main example to the efficacy of Proof of Stake. I believe that the Ad should focus not only on having founded proof of stake but recognizing that a hybridized PoW/PoS system allows the benefits of PoS security and PoW distribution to exist together. It seems that ethereum would have been better off following this example. ~20 seconds is a decent amount of time; these are just ideas.

[quote=“saeveritt, post:6, topic:3790”]This is great. I’ll gladly pledge 50 PPC also for this marketing.

I’d imagine that waiting for v0.5 release would be best. Although, what would be the harm of having a pre-release advertisement to build awareness and anticipation for v0.5?
For the Ad we should take into consideration that a significant portion of The Daily Decrypt’s videos educate/have educated their viewers about ethereum. I say this because many of the individuals that will be watching will immediately compare Peercoin to what they are most knowledgeable in. There has been discussion regarding eth’s eventual move to Proof of Stake, of which was covered on The Daily Decrypt, and we should capitalize on the association. Peercoin still stands to this day as a testament and the main example to the efficacy of Proof of Stake. I believe that the Ad should focus not only on having founded proof of stake but recognizing that a hybridized PoW/PoS system allows the benefits of PoS security and PoW distribution to exist together. It seems that ethereum would have been better off following this example. ~20 seconds is a decent amount of time; these are just ideas.[/quote]

Yes, this is good approach. We should focus on things PPC did right from the very start, like:

• Invented PoS (and still improving algo)

• Using PoS for security

• I would stress this PoS for security, and the fact that future of coin is with coin holders and not miners like with Bitcoin.
    If we want to increase the blocksize we can do it by minting on forked chain. By hearing this facts, the layman on the other side of tube can co-relate this with current Bitcoin problems and endless debate on block size and clogged up mempool.
  • Using PoW for continual distribution

Peercoin mining will never, ever stop. It is far more natural approach than with Bitcoin.

Tomjoad has had experience ordering advertising from Daily Decrypt for Nu and B&C. I asked him if he could share his experience and if there is anything specific we would need to know. Also, I think if we’re going to do this, we should sponsor a whole week, rather than one episode.

I found the process of working with the Daily Decrypt team very easy. They responded quickly to questions I had.

I would suggest paying for an advertising run the week preceding the release of Peercoin v0.5, and the week afterwards, if enough funds are raised. I would also suggest that the primary messaging emphasizes Peercoin’s role as a substitute for Bitcoin if the PoW mining scheme eventually fails/centralizes, because it was the first Proof-of-Stake coin and it has performed reliably for many years. We can see Ethereum’s success this month because many are hedging that it could replace Bitcoin; the Peercoin community should think about what strengths it has in being a potential Bitcoin replacement. Nobody cares that Peercoin has new features, but they might care that it could replace Bitcoin one day.

To summarize that point, advertising should focus on Peercoin’s fundamentals, not on v0.5. You want these advertisements to still be relevant and accurate five years from now, which wouldn’t occur by advertising a specific version release.

For the advertisements themselves, I submitted a script for each day that was scripted to be about 15-20 seconds long, so maybe 3-4 sentences total. I relied on the host Amanda’s judgement on how to read them. She usually deviated a bit from the script to make everything sound more natural, but I’m sure she would be willing to stick closely to a script if you requested it. The difference is we advertised Nu and B&C on the show for many weeks, and so she naturally felt like making sure the messaging felt fresh, whereas for a limited 1-2 week run with Peercoin I would suggest using the exact same hyper-focused message every single day.

Looks like this isn’t going to happen. Daily Decrypt just had its last episode…

At least Peercoin was mentioned on the recent episode that was dedicated to NuBits…

Something similar to dailydecrypt will pop up soon I guess.