Spend without Syncing?

Is it possible to spend my Peercoins without syncing the wallet first?

I’m not certain, but I’ve done it before with Bitcoin, so probably. Check a block explorer like bkchain.org/ppc to make sure the transaction worked.

Also remember that the Peercoin blockchain has no bloat so it doesn’t take long to sync. It’s less than 300 MB.

Actually, just noticed from another post you’re not on v0.4 yet, so don’t try until you upgrade :wink:

I’m wondering if it’s possible so that I can bypass transferring version 0.3 files to version 0.4
I could simply send my coins to Cryptsy, delete version 0.3 & download version 0.4
Then send all my coins back to the new version.
Can this work?

[quote=“bitboy11, post:4, topic:2508”]I’m wondering if it’s possible so that I can bypass transferring version 0.3 files to version 0.4
I could simply send my coins to Cryptsy, delete version 0.3 & download version 0.4
Then send all my coins back to the new version.
Can this work?[/quote]

I wouldn’t want to try it if I have a wallet on old protocol. What if after sending the coins your wallet thinks itself is empty and the receiving side never receives (because the network is on the new protocol) ? You migh get your coins back from a -rescan but why risking it?

You can send your coins from the wallet without full sync yes… but you will need to have the wallet synced far enough so that your coins show up as available funds in the client… so say you sent 1000 PPC to yourself on block 200, you could open up a ppcoin client and sync to block 206 and then you can send your coins out, your wallet will still be syncing in the background, the coins will go from the client, but you will only see confirmations show up in the client after the blockchain has fully caught up.

Note I have done this many times with BTC, the only thing you really want to watch out for is that you have a nice number of connections to the network, as your broardcasted transaction can get missed I found by having less than 4 nodes connected minimum. I wait till 6 connections then send, this way you avoid having to flush the wallet or do a rescan.

Fuzzybear