Some thoughts on running nodes and minting via raspberryPi

[quote=“pillow, post:5, topic:2377”]I have balls and I’ll port forward many ports and will also keep the default password. I figure that I’m one lucky dude that don’t need this “safety thing” (its only for computer neiiirds anyway) :pbjt:[/quote] Hahaha, we need more pillows to find all security holes :smiley:
I don’t know Arch but it’s quite obvious that there are more optimal possible solutions for minting than Raspbian and R-Pi - of course if don’t need HDMI, mike and camera :slight_smile:
ppcoind as a service would be great, f.e. use /var/spool/sign /var/spool/signed as an insulation, something like “delegated signing”
Also, as peerchemist noted, there are probably more suitable filesystems than ext4.
Lot to do here

I guess the only missing piece of the puzzle to get peercoin minting “main stream” is that cold minting thing.

Hopefully we are almost there as Sunny almost validated one of the latest proposals: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2783.msg25219#msg25219

I am definitely available to make some testing of a Raspberry Pi image.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:19, topic:2377”]Do you think there would be any profit potential in somebody developing and selling a cheap device for minting? For example, rather than buying a Raspberry Pi, this device (Hardware & Software) would be designed specifically for Peercoin. It would have a Peercoin specific secure OS and all you’d have to do is plug it in and leave it running/minting in the background. It would be made for non-technical people that just want to plug it in and mint and not have to worry about all the settings and security stuff.

Mind you I lack technical understanding so maybe it doesn’t make any sense to do this. If it does though, somebody could develop this and base an entire company around it. Cheap, secure proof-of-stake hardware minting. The company could even be started up through Peershares. Now tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about, lol.[/quote]

I did some thinking on this subject too. Idea came to me from my marketing thought - experiments actually.
In this scenario we develop this image and start advertising on this “mini - pc” market (raspberry pi forum, arduino forum…) with some kind of lottery where one can win fully configured device with pre-installed OS for minting. Let’s say, some 20$-ish device preloaded with our OS and some 20-50PPC. This could spark the interest and start to create demand. If experiment is successful this could become business.
Future Peercoin foundation could sell SD cards preloaded with this OS, or sell fully configured devices with some PPC in it.
You go to peercoin.net and there is video explaining what is minting, why it is awesome and how to do it… last 30 sec of video show our OS running on 15$ ARM device, safe and secure processing transactions. One can buy this device for let’s say 100PPC and start right minting right away with profits going to foundation to sponsor future development.

Anyway, I’m ready to work. Just give me hosting space and I’ll start with it.

Slightly of topic:

BTW, can someone more informed on design of Peercoin and Peerunity confirm to me if it is possible to use all the functions via JSON-rpc?

My idea is to have ppcoind (daemon) running on such OS, but front-end to be via web-based interface communicating via JSON-rpc.

In this web-interface one would have all the standard wallet/peerunity features + there would be some kind of statistics like how many nodes connected, what is minting difficulty, some graphs, and maybe how many transactions were processed.
Have you see one of those mining software’s for PoW coins? With fancy graphs, etc.

Why do I want this?

1. To minimize OS footprint, if OS does not have GUI it can be lighter
    (this means “GUI” would be accessed on local network via web interface)

2. Why this stats, graphs etc?

People want to feel like they are doing something, to help with greater cause. Also, people are impatient.
With peercoin this helping is not so easy to perceive, since PoS reward is only 1% per year. So one could buy this device, load OS and buy some PPC and just look at it for months before receiving any reward for it.
With stats, graphs and numbers one could at least look at something.

Do you need more data than the “getinfo” ?

Do you need more data than the “getinfo” ?[/quote]

I was thinking to make some web-based interface to daemon wallet, with some stats and bells and whistles.
For a start getinfo, getdifficulty would be enough. But I hope that daemon will serve more data in next releases, like coinage of individual transactions and chance to mint. And possibly, if more granular staking is implemented, some stats about that. Or, how many transactions did this client confirmed in past 24h.

Do you need more data than the “getinfo” ?[/quote]

I was thinking to make some web-based interface to daemon wallet, with some stats and bells and whistles.
For a start getinfo, getdifficulty would be enough. But I hope that daemon will serve more data in next releases, like coinage of individual transactions and chance to mint. And possibly, if more granular staking is implemented, some stats about that. Or, how many transactions did this client confirmed in past 24h.[/quote]

I was planning on doing something similar (but on Raspberry P, now abandoned because you guys seems to know better what you are doing) where I would have a nodejs something that connected to the device and then could show an GUI to the user with this info (from Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas! ) :

* difficulty charts * number of coins existing * coin age * odds of minting * number of nodes connected to client * something that shows the realtime blocks pow/pos are found * number of transactions on the network * client version * numbers of active pos miners? like jimmy's http://ppc.stakexplorer.com/stat/PoSMinerStat.html * Possible links should go to the Peercoin wiki as opposed to the forum * current market spot price (idk, displayed in your favorite currency: BTC, EUR, USD, YIN, RUR) * Link to the minting FAQ on peercoin.net or the top 10 threads about minting on peercointalk.org. * Informative links to the feel good video about the energy efficient way it is to run the network.

@pillow

Well, please join the project when I set up the infrastructure.

This weekend I expect to have repository for ArchLinux up and running. Repository will include binaries for Peercoin-qt, Peercoin daemon and Peerunity (x86, x86_64, armv6h).

Launch of this will be followed by general vision and roadmap for immediate future of project, I expect people to share their opinion and share ideas (feature request).

Then I will set up git repository for all this packages and report on peer4commit.

Next step is to prepare all the infrastructure need for project, VM’s running both Arch-x86_64 and ArchArm-armv6h (raspberry Pi) so future developers have all they need to work, test and deploy.