Should we Get John Manglaviti Back as PR Spokesperson & Community Organizer?

Read this comment from Sporabolic first…

http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/21ixn3/can_we_please_get_feedback_on_cybnates_ideas_for/cgdmoy9

What do you all think about this? All I know is that when John was here, things were getting done. We were doing swarms every week, we were being added to exchanges and Sunny was getting interviews with the media. Cybnate was talking about putting together some kind of fund for marketing initiatives. If John agreed to come back, we could possibly pay him out of that depending on how much was donated. I’m just pitching an idea here. What do you all think?

1. If there is going to be a fund, it really should be a 501©(3) charity for tax reasons. I’ve looked into this before, but stopped when Sunny said he didn’t want a foundation. I’m happy to look into it again if there is interest.

2. I would have some concerns about John coming back to work on PPC considering some of the things that happened with NXT.

Agreed.

For some tasks it would be good to have a more top-down approach, and a responsible person with access to funding and dedicated time. This doesn’t mean that we need to become like the Bitcoin Foundation, but it’s true that after John left, marketing went into stasis. If John is the right person is another question, but with Sunny preferring anonymity, we lack a proper spokesperson, a “face”.

Agreed.[/quote]

Did something else happen recently that I’m not aware of?

Is Trekcon May 2014 still going to be using Peercoin?

Do we have mobile Peercoin wallets yet?

Saw this video from John:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXPlhrD7XrE

Agreed.[/quote]

Did something else happen recently that I’m not aware of?[/quote]

I am also wondering, what happened with NXT?

Although I was quite inspired by the drive he gave this forum and the whole Peercoin movement, I need to assume that he had (and still has) his own agenda.
I don’t want him back just because he could be useful.
And that is although I don’t know yet what is supposed by saying “…some of the things that happened to NXT”.

Disclaimer: rant incoming.
Please skip that “code” section, if you don’t want to read my explicit concerns!

Leaving for his own business (and needing time for that) is one thing.
...and most other reasons I'd accept as well.
But to do small time at Litecoin, Peercoin and then NXT is another thing.

This might sonld a bit paranoic (and my comments might often be smoother), but why should I not believe that he bought coins low, 
helped the community to promote them to sell them high afterwards?
I know that this is a harsh allegation, but unless I'm convinced why to follow his leadership again, I won't do so.

And I especially don't want him back "hired"!

That doesn't suit my understanding of a community driven thing. If he wants to be part of the community again he might ask if the 
community wants him back. I consider it the wrong way to ask the community if he wants to be back.
Maybe things would go faster with him back, but I'm not sure if it were the right way; I doubt it.

I don’t know anything about John Manglaviti, but he strikes me as someone who is energetic and likes new challenges.

John is therefore his own man, and I see no no point in inviting/persuading/pleading. He knows that Peercoin is here, and will come back if he wants, and quite independently of what we want

If John does come back at some point, be aware he might move on again after six months, when a new or better opportunity arises (nothing wrong with that)

I think the best strategy is to merely keep the door open. Keep John on any newsletter that we email out, but do not treat him differently. People who have met John in person keep in touch with the occasional email, at Christmas, on special occasions, that sort of thing

Well no doubt he did excellent job. But he’s a bit of a coin whore. Before this he pumped FTC, us then NXT, nothing wrong with that, but I hope PPCoin shall rise by fundamental elements not pr swamp.

John did a good job. But don’t know why he left and why he want to come back (I suppose) now?

[quote=“masterOfDisaster, post:8, topic:2103”]Although I was quite inspired by the drive he gave this forum and the whole Peercoin movement, I need to assume that he had (and still has) his own agenda.
I don’t want him back just because he could be useful.
And that is although I don’t know yet what is supposed by saying “…some of the things that happened to NXT”.

Disclaimer: rant incoming.
Please skip that “code” section, if you don’t want to read my explicit concerns!

[code]

Leaving for his own business (and needing time for that) is one thing.
…and most other reasons I’d accept as well.
But to do small time at Litecoin, Peercoin and then NXT is another thing.

This might sonld a bit paranoic (and my comments might often be smoother), but why should I not believe that he bought coins low,
helped the community to promote them to sell them high afterwards?
I know that this is a harsh allegation, but unless I’m convinced why to follow his leadership again, I won’t do so.

And I especially don’t want him back “hired”!

That doesn’t suit my understanding of a community driven thing. If he wants to be part of the community again he might ask if the
community wants him back. I consider it the wrong way to ask the community if he wants to be back.
Maybe things would go faster with him back, but I’m not sure if it were the right way; I doubt it.
[/code][/quote]

I don’t think it is a big deal if his motivation had been what you guessed. The bottom line is that his work has been helpful, despite the withdrawal syndrome after he left. I like organic growth more, though.

[quote=“ppcman, post:6, topic:2103”]Is Trekcon May 2014 still going to be using Peercoin?

Do we have mobile Peercoin wallets yet?

Saw this video from John:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXPlhrD7XrE[/quote]

WAIT!

Why didn’t any one answer the question about Trekcon? This could show that even though John may have deliberately pumped (and dumped) PPC, there were still long term positive spin offs gained by Peercoin from it.

If Trekcon is still going to use Peercoin as it’s currency, then there is a benefit here.

See this:

www.trekconspringfield.com/press.php

I know their site is a little garish, but they say that no publicity is worse than bad publicity?

By the way, none of this HAS to be John. It just needs to be a well versed person who is motivated financially to do this type of in-person “face” work, who is trustworthy and a self-starter. :slight_smile:

If they still do, I think it would be good to have a Peercoin ‘face’ there. Any trekkies willing to go?

We do have an alpha webwallet from bkchain which works, but need a bit of work in Gui. I believe super3’s team will offer him to speed up this development.

What about the 2000PPC giveaway mentioned on the Trekkie’s website? Who is dealing with that? John? He might change it into NXT :frowning:

I thought John worked with the organizer of the Trek conference. Shouldn’t he already have everything setup for him?

Another thing. I don’t think John has abandoned Peercoin either. He likes the updates I post on the Peercoin Facebook page from time to time. He also sent me this message last month…

“when you guys are ready to send out some type of press release or big news item, let me know. Our team has been collecting writers/publications for a few hours each day… we’re starting to come up with quite a list.”

organic growth +1

aggressive guerrilla style marketing -1