Sentinelrv is right about another coin using our tech and namedropping

Why do you continue to parade Mike’s name around like this? It confuses people and I’m sure it has hurt Mike’s reputation with some that may have gotten the wrong idea. As far as I’m aware, all Mike did was answer some questions of yours about potential attacks. I don’t think that qualifies him as your technical advisor. Has he given you permission to use his name constantly like this in promotions?

In fact, it’s actually incredibly insulting. What I see here is a bunch of millionaires that think they can get together and rip off the work of everyone in this community. Sunny King is a genius and has spent the past 4-5 years building Peercoin and proof-of-stake from the ground up and you all think that you can just get a bunch of money together, rip off his hard work and bypass him.

I hate to break it to you but your huge list of names is incomplete without Sunny King[/quote]

I enjoyed a breath of fresh air when I read this rant. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Sentinel’s frustration whatsoever for a number of reasons:

1) While I love the work sigmike has done, and continues to do, it was only JUNE 17/2014 (less than one year ago) he was officially announced by Sunny King to be part of the core team for developing Peercoin:

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=114994.msg7354600#msg7354600 (for reference)

To be fair to Sigmike, and the efforts involved, Peercoin hasn’t skyrocketed in value, and his efforts haven’t been awarded monetarily in a significant manner. So when Neucoin approached him with the opportunit(ies), I have no ill regard for him accepting them.

NB: That doesn’t mean Neucoin totally obliterates the significant inherent value Peercoin has from a development perspective. It simply means that sigmike sees it might be a more rewarding opportunity and has accepted their proposal. That is to be expected with Open Source programmers. This happens every single day.

2) Neucoin has already shown very draconian marketing practices in the way they are rolling out their product. I have multiple reasons why. But you can tell they’re coming from a sales and marketing perspective, using half-truths and over exaggerations to push their un-launched product already. Which is normal for any large corporation to do in the conventional market.

Don’t mistake it. I see Neucoin at this stage, like a “large corporation”, already before launch. They deserve all the warm fuzzies [not] as your every day industrial large corporate conglomerate, especially with all the name dropping and market literature they’re shoveling out.

3) Some one might say “But they’re already marketing them selves so much better than Peercoin has…”

– Yes I concede that point. Doesn’t mean they’re not going to have huge growing pains, technological fumbles, and other incidentals slap them in the face as they roll it out. Peercoin has history and a track record. They have yet to start theirs. We’re already ahead of their game, and that holds to be true without name dropping.

I’m fully ready for a healthy (but mature) debate about the subject if necessary.

But none of this is the real purpose of this post.

I’ve seen Sentinelrv’s posts over the last 2-3 years, and I’m really impressed by the way he spoke his mind, had completely valid points, and said what needed to be said.

Hats off to you Sentinelrv!! :slight_smile:

[size=8pt][size=8pt]Little Hint for those reading this far. My interpretation is that Neucoin will end up being akin to a Ripple v2.0 with a different name. Huge explosion of interest, and lack of adoption by the majority (not referring to design or technology, just comparing launch, initial interest, and what happens 6-12 months down the road with price decline. History always repeats itself. My opinion only, but I’ve been right numerous times. :))[/size][/size]

Thanks ppcman, I was pretty angry when I wrote that rant, but I stand by it. I think they have the right in a free market to do this, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. I would much rather them work with us and Sunny to make Peercoin stronger.

Also, in response to your first point, there is no evidence that Sigmike has accepted any proposal from them, which is what I was trying to point out. Sigmike told me and Sunny that they presented some attack vectors and Mike discussed it with them. That’s it as far as I know and it lines up with your second point, that the Neucoin team is over exaggerating their relationship with Sigmike by calling him their technical advisor in order to fool people into thinking he has switched over to another coin. They’re doing this to try and gain themselves some credibility with Peercoin supporters. If they’re doing this with Sigmike, how many other people are they doing it with in their huge list. How many of those people are just loose associations? We don’t know.

The whole thing sounds like PayCoin to me.

+1

+1

[quote=“Gin, post:53, topic:3463”]Wow! No love from Dogecoin :-*

[quote=“ppcman, post:52, topic:3463”]The one sentence that annoyed me was this one in their Strategic Plan posted on their website:

Strategic Advisors include […] the core developer of Peercoin.

[size=12pt]the[/size] core developer of Peercoin.

As if you are THE core developer of Peercoin. There’s no Sunny King, there is no one else doing commits, just you.[/quote]

I replied to Dan’s message in the Dogecoin thread and asked him to make it clear in his strategic plan that Michael is NOT the creator of proof-of-stake or Peercoin. This is very misleading. Everything I see from these people reeks of fakeness, using half truths and pretending to care about other communities by offering them bread crumbs. It’s very disappointing to see play out. I’m glad not everyone is falling for it. Here is my reply…

Forget it, I’m not waiting. I posted it on their main forum asking for the change. Hopefully anyone who was misled by this will know now…

http://forum.neucoin.org/t/the-inventor-of-peercoin-proof-of-stake-is-not-an-advisor-for-neucoin-please-alter-the-text-in-your-strategic-plan/580/1

All they are going to do is tell you that they did identify Sunny King as the creator of Peercoin further in the document. Do a search for Sunny and you’ll see.

So you might want to edit your post and be careful not to use creator and developer interchangeably. They’re splitting hairs to mislead the confused.

That’s fine, if people read that far. But it doesn’t affect the inaccuracy several paragraphs above, where they reference [size=14pt]the[/size] core developer of Peercoin (referring to Sigmike)

But again, that brings more things into question. When you call some one the creator, and then some one else the developer. It makes it sound that the creator is no longer working on the project, and just the developer has control.

It appears they are using this confusion to their advantage.

I did notice they referred to Sunny King as the creator in another part of the document, but that doesn’t mean everybody is going to read the entire document to know that. Many people may just skim through it and see the large bullet points and say “Oooh, the Peercoin developer is helping these Neucoin people now, maybe I should buy some.” Then they entirely skip over Sunny King’s name because it’s hidden in a wall of text.

I posted a reply including the other items. Hopefully I clarified it enough for them. I made the distinction between Sunny being the creator/inventor and active primary developer versus Mike being Sunny’s assistant, with the title core developer.

I hope it works, and glad you tried Sentinelrv.

Let’s see how fast they address this important issue and make suitable corrections.

Start your stopwatch.

Yawn, I predict it’s going to be a long wait.

I like you guys a ton, but let’s tone down the rhetoric. We’re better than this.

Neucoin has kept their side of the conversation very cordial. We are direct competitors, but at the same time we are allies against many foes (cryptocurrency vs the status quo, PoS vs Pow).

Let’s be classy.

“Have fun”.

Maybe I have been too negative and judgemental. I posted this response in the other thread. Even though I laid out my suspicions, I thanked them for cooperating on the text changes…

I’m very sorry you are feeling this way, and I’m not sure how this “reeks of fakeness” comes from. Maybe we haven’t been communicating or available so far to answer your questions. It’s fine if you do not believe in the NeuCoin project, no harm in this :slight_smile: But so far, I think we’ve been here to truthfully answer comments (positive and negative).[/quote]

Maybe I have been too judgemental here. After all, there is no way for me to prove that your marketing team intentionally tried to mislead people, but I still have my suspicions after all the Paycoin type scams we’ve seen. Another aspect of fakeness is that it appears (at least to me) that your attempt to reach out is not genuine and only an attempt to co-opt other communities by trying to seduce them with free coins. Again, I only have suspicions and no proof. This is my opinion. Regardless, thank you for working with us to alter the text.[/quote]

Neucoin may be fraud, maybe not.

If we emphasize SK too much ,that’s too centralized. What if SK quit crypto? illness? car accident? or even bribed by Neucoin team?

[quote=“emeth, post:12, topic:3464”]I like you guys a ton, but let’s tone down the rhetoric. We’re better than this.

Neucoin has kept their side of the conversation very cordial. We are direct competitors, but at the same time we are allies against many foes (cryptocurrency vs the status quo, PoS vs Pow).

Let’s be classy.

“Have fun”.[/quote]
Ditto,

Fuzzybear

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Well, while I agree that the tone of the dialogue is one thing, on the other hand you can’t really blame being vigilant, especially in the world of cryptocurrency, where scams are so rampant and go unchecked and unchallenged.
I hope the people to which these responses were aimed don’t take them personally.
To me, they signal a passion for Peercoin, and that’s a good thing.

[quote=“fishb0ne, post:16, topic:3464”]Well, while I agree that the tone of the dialogue is one thing, on the other hand you can’t really blame being vigilant, especially in the world of cryptocurrency, where scams are so rampant and go unchecked and unchallenged.
I hope the people to which these responses were aimed don’t take them personally.
To me, they signal a passion for Peercoin, and that’s a good thing.[/quote]

I agree. I’d like to hear more from you, about … almost any thing. Please share more of your thoughts on the forum. I like the way you think.

Yes Indeed.

Thank you, that’s very nice of you to say.
It seems that NeuCoin is not being well received by the Reddit community. I am completely ignorant so I cannot comment on the worth and accuracy of what is being discussed there, but thought it worthwhile to share for perspective.
https://np.reddit.com/r/neucoin
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/348wdz/thanks_to_all_you_people_spotted_the_gaw_garza/

I posted a link to our reaction to Neucoin on their subreddit, just so everyone there knows how we feel about it…

That’s perfect! Great idea and kudos for the initiative.