(script draft) Peercoin Primer #3: Benefits

How about this?

This has been thoroughly tested borne out now in numerous now throughout multiple bear markets, where Peercoin has maintained proved that it’s highly capable of maintaining a constant an appropriate security level during even the lowest points of market demand.

We need Peerchemist to check the bit about the security level being “constant”. I think the real point we want to make is that the security level is unaffected by market demand.

Correct this is the core of the message.

I’ve swapped constant for unaffected, and re-inserted some of Sentinel’s wording:

This has been thoroughly tested now in multiple bear markets, where Peercoin has proven that its security level remains unaffected during even the lowest points of market demand.

Unaffected could be replaced with “unimpaired”.

Hi, I’m Chronos, and welcome to Part 2 of the Peercoin Primer. Peercoin is one of the world’s most established cryptocurrencies, and each video in this series will explore a different aspect of it.

Show overview onscreen:

Part 1: Launch
Part 2: Security
Part 3: Benefits
Part 4: Economics
Part 5: Mission

In this video, we’re going to talk about what Peercoin brings to the table: what makes it stand out from the huge pack of competing cryptocurrencies?

Have you ever wondered why Peercoin has a green leaf for a logo? The reason is because Peercoin is so environmentally friendly. A huge drawback for traditional blockchains has been the massive amount of electricity consumed by proof-of-work, the security model used by Bitcoin to secure its transactions. Just to give you an idea how significant this problem is, in the summer of 2019, researchers at MIT and the Technical University of Munich equated Bitcoin’s power consumption with the entire city of Las Vegas. Wow. A link to their report can be found in the description below. https://www.cell.com/joule/fulltext/S2542-4351(19)30255-7

But is it really necessary to consume so much energy to secure a blockchain? Peercoin proves the answer is no, because it uses an energy-efficient security model. With proof-of-stake, you only need enough power to run your computer or laptop. This efficiency is possible because the network is secured through ownership of the peercoins themselves, not by the wasteful and costly operation of mining equipment. The planet is continuing to feel the effects of pollution, so I think the topic of energy waste will become much more important as the blockchain ecosystem matures, and Peercoin is ready with a fully tested solution to this problem.

Since Peercoin’s security is decentralized through its coin holders, that security can be better spread geographically than proof-of-work mining. This is because mining is most profitable wherever electricity is cheapest, which means you’re going to see concentrations of power in those particular regions. This can compromise the security of proof-of-work blockchains by making it easier for local governments to target miners with burdensome regulations, or to shut them down entirely.

By contrast, Peercoin minting can be done, anywhere, anytime. I’ve even done it from inside my own living room, and if I can do it, anyone can. All you need is a standard computer, and Peercoin’s blockchain size is so small that it will easily fit on your hard drive. On the other hand, I would not want a bitcoin mining rig in my living room: those things are hot and loud. They’re better off inside a warehouse.

Another great aspect of Peercoin’s security is that it doesn’t depend on the market price to be stable. Let me explain: imagine if the price of a cryptocurrency crashes. Some miners will drop out, because they can’t make a profit anymore. The price of the coin can actually get so low that miners would spend more money in electricity than they’d be able to earn in coins! But with Peercoin’s proof-of-stake, the electricity usage costs almost nothing, so minters don’t have to drop out in a price crash. This has been thoroughly tested now in multiple bear markets, where Peercoin has proven that its security level remains unaffected during even the lowest points of market demand.

Peercoin’s efficient security process can actually help the network achieve long-term sustainability. Whereas miners are forced into a position where they need to constantly upgrade their mining equipment in order to stay ahead of competitors, proof-of-stake security is based simply on holding coins for a certain length of time. Since there is such little cost and effort associated with proof-of-stake, the minter does not need to worry about earning a profit to buy new mining equipment or pay electricity bills. This is how Peercoin’s security model is capable of being sustained over the long-term.

And finally, Peercoin’s users collectively own the network. Owners of Peercoin can even decide its future through protocol voting. This happens in the same way that Peercoin is secured: you simply install the proposed version of Peercoin that you support, and start minting with it. Every new minted block gives you a vote for that protocol version. All coin owners can be governors of the Peercoin blockchain! This makes Peercoin the first blockchain capable of allowing its rules to be governed directly by its users, making for a network that is more decentralized, democratic, and easily secured by everyday people around the world.

If you have any questions or comments, post below the video. I’m Chronos. Thanks for watching!

I would say this script is done now. @Chronos you are good to go ahead with recording.

Now I just need to focus on finishing 4 and 5.

1 Like

Looks great. A few minor suggestions.

Remove a word that is used also in its next paragraph.

Make tense consistent, and switch to an active verb form.

Switch to an active verb form.

Break into two sentences.

Let me know if any of these changes bothers you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds good.