Results of Peercoin Community Survey

I’d like to take a moment to reflect on Peershares marketing, as it’s becoming clear that there is some confusion. The “$500,000 for Peershares” statement has been tossed around quite liberally and is inaccurate. A number of Bitcoin and Peercoin were indeed put up by a principal investor for Peershares, but also our specific implementation of it. As Jordan Lee indicated, the vast majority of funds have so far remained unspent, in preparation for bigger and more important initiatives down the road.

Peershares.net is not currently a $100K website, nor is it a $10K website, and it should not be compared to one. This is a first portal build that will help provide access to people who wish to test our Alpha versions of Peershares. We intend on continuing to edit and improve the overall layout of the website with help from the community.

[quote=“David, post:28, topic:1730”][quote=“ppcman, post:27, topic:1730”]http://peershares.net/investing/

That whole page is one big yawn-fest. Boring. One green heading at the top, a huge chunk of the same font and color text. No visual aids or images at all. [/quote]

I’d like to take a moment to reflect on Peershares marketing, as it’s becoming clear that there is some confusion. The “$500,000 for Peershares” statement has been tossed around quite liberally and is inaccurate. A number of Bitcoin and Peercoin were indeed put up by a principal investor for Peershares, but also our specific implementation of it. As Jordan Lee indicated, the vast majority of funds have so far remained unspent, in preparation for bigger and more important initiatives down the road.[/quote]

I would like to add more detail to what David has said about the purpose of the 200 BTC and 60000 PPC in funding, because I agree it is often misunderstood.

Peershares as a template is an open source project. While quite a bit of money can be made from particular implementations of Peershares, no money can be made directly from the template. The seed money was not put up for the Peershares template, it was put up for a specific Peershares implementation. At the time our business plan was put into motion, there was no Peershares template in existence, so its construction was funded because developing it was a prerequisite to building our Peershares implementation. Our team forked the Peershares repository several weeks ago to create our Peershares implementation and extension. At that point the funded for-profit venture no longer had an interest in the development of the Peershares template.

The Peershares template was probably an 80 BTC project and further development will need to come from the Peercoin community which benefits from it using Peercoins to distribute dividends. You are quite right ppcman when you say it doesn’t smell like a five hundred thousand dollar project. It isn’t.

I want to take the opportunity to thank those that donated ~1500 PPC to Peershares through Peer4Commit. This is the kind of action that will be needed to continue developing Peershares beyond what has already been done. Direct assistance with things like content, documentation and testing are all ways Peercoiners can contribute to a project that has tremendous potential to increase demand for Peercoins.

Do both projects (the Peershares template and the for-profit venture) share the same name, or will the for-profit be developing its own distinct branding?

They will not share the same name. We have already spent more on the development of logos for our Peershares implementation than was spent on the Peershares.net website and the Peershares logo combined. From time to time we will release additional information about our Peershares implementation. For now, we aren’t saying much to gain a first mover advantage.

They will not share the same name. We have already spent more on the development of logos for our Peershares implementation than was spent on the Peershares.net website and the Peershares logo combined. From time to time we will release additional information about our Peershares implementation. For now, we aren’t saying much to gain a first mover advantage.[/quote]
Very exciting, I hope your Peershares implementation will also benefit Peercoin in one way or the other.

They will not share the same name. We have already spent more on the development of logos for our Peershares implementation than was spent on the Peershares.net website and the Peershares logo combined. From time to time we will release additional information about our Peershares implementation. For now, we aren’t saying much to gain a first mover advantage.[/quote]
Very exciting, I hope your Peershares implementation will also benefit Peercoin in one way or the other.[/quote]

It will create demand for Peercoins because all dividends must be distributed in Peercoins. This will create new holders of PPC and elevate the Peercoin price.

So to clarify:

The skeleton infrastructure of Peershares open source alpha is complete enough for the for-profit (currently non-publicized extension) to be built and produced.

So no more development is happening with Peershares open source at the current time, and that project will eventually need to find volunpeers and peer4commit funds award bounties to further fund and maintain it.

Since documentation is limited, and development has temporarily halted on open source Peershares, this gives a first mover advantage to the for-profit Peershares Extension / implementation to finish building and launching.

Once that happens, it might cause a lot of people to go “hold on, what did they use? Open Source Peershares? How can I run my own copy/cat version or deviation”. That is when Open Source Peershares alpha will garner attention and will attract resources and developers wanting to bring it to Peershares-production or Peershares 2.0

Jordan, if you can articulate what I’ve said more accurately, or if I’m incorrect in what I’ve written, I’d like to have a firm grasp of this…

Thanks.

[quote=“ppcman, post:34, topic:1730”]So to clarify:

The skeleton infrastructure of Peershares open source alpha is complete enough for the for-profit (currently non-publicized extension) to be built and produced.[/quote]

Correct.

Not exactly. A month ago the template was the focus of the entire team’s work. Today we are mostly focused on our implementation but still devoting resources to the Peershares template. This will soon change to almost no funding of the Peershares template from the seed investor’s funds. Going forward Peershares needs to be developed by Peer4Commit funds and volunpeers.

It is not our goal to impair people’s capacity to start their own Peershares implementation either now or in the future. Quite the opposite. Personally, I am very anxious to see it used broadly as soon as possible. Some funds are being spent to this purpose even though there is no chance of ROI. It is very unlikely that any specific Peershares implementation would compete with what we are offering in our implementation. We don’t view other Peershares implementations as competitors.

Successful implementations of Peershares is what is needed to bring serious attention to the Peershares template. What we are developing will draw attention to Peershares, but it is unclear whether we will bring the first implementation to market. Our implementation requires extensive additional coding whereas many Peershares implementations will require only a few standard changes that you can pay pennybreaker or Ben 300 USD to complete. This means a Peershares implementation can be completed in days.

UPDATE: Thread was created http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2728

Hi

I just signed up to the forums and not sure how to post a thread so I’m posting this here where i think it may be relevant.

I have an idea that was inspired by something the Vertcoin community is starting. It’s a way to promote Peercoin and make a better impression on the public of its value in being the backbone of the cryptocurrency world. The idea is to create a multipool to mine other currencies (be it SHA, Scrypt, Scrypt-N , etc …) and have the the shares be paid in PPC. This is currently used in many multipools with Bitcoin as the base. The Vertcoin community is just starting this as well ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=524343.0 )

The logic behind this, at the time of this writing, is that miners supporting peercoin are currently mining peercoin. But as per the design of peercoin, miners will lose incentive to mine it since it will be established as a Proof of Stake system in the long run. This will provide miners who want to support peercoin with an alternative to mining other coins and keeping value in bitcoin. Another advantage is that it will be the first step to establishing Peercoin as the base backbone of other cryptocurrencies. Predicting the stability Peercoin will provide, it will make better sense for miners who want a stable return on their value to hold their income in Peercoin as oppose to other more volatility-prone-by-design currencies. And as a side benefit to Peercoin, the buy orders that would be generated by the multipool buying the Peercoins using other currencies would help support its growth towards the levels we all know it deserves and lift it from its current undervalued state.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Feel free to take this post and make a separate thread for it. I just signed up so I’m guessing I don’t have the rights to post a thread just yet.

Cheers

IndigoMan, what you are proposing won’t work. Please copy this post to a new topic and I’ll reply there.

Or Sentinelrv, please move his post to a new topic. Thanks.

[quote=“ppcman, post:37, topic:1730”]IndigoMan, what you are proposing won’t work. Please copy this post to a new topic and I’ll reply there.

Or Sentinelrv, please move his post to a new topic. Thanks.[/quote]

Bumping this as it has been almost a year since the survey. Looks like the community’s powers of prediction are not too good :wink:

Let me know if you think it is worthwhile to have another survey with questions on more recent things. I can probably make a new one within the next few weeks if there’s enough interest.

I think it’s a good idea.

• 1 I think this is a good idea also.

It will be interesting to see how a new survey compares with the one last year.

[quote=“river333, post:39, topic:1730”]Bumping this as it has been almost a year since the survey. Looks like the community’s powers of prediction are not too good :wink:

Let me know if you think it is worthwhile to have another survey with questions on more recent things. I can probably make a new one within the next few weeks if there’s enough interest.[/quote]

This would be a great initiative.
+1 to do this again.

Any requests for certain questions?

[ul][li]What do you expect of Peercoin in the future?[/li]
[li][/li][/ul]

Few other questions:

• Are you running a full active node (yes, no, what is this)?
  • Does the Peercoin’s price has any impact on your crypto faith?
  • Do you contribute anyhow to Peercoin’s development (traduction, design, code review, PPC projects, etc.)?
  • Do you use Peerbox?
  • Why do you own Peercoins (get rich, PoS ftw, backbone, other?)?
  • Would you recommend Peercoin to… People already involved in other crypto, non-crypto aware people or nobody?
  • Are you an active Peercoin trader?
  • Would you hold Peercoin at any price (low or high)?
  • Would you be in favor to shut down PoW?
  • If you had to choose, would you rather push for… more Peercoin development, more marketing strategies, none?
  • If you had the choice between buying stuff with your Peercoins and FIAT, would you use Peercoin instead of FIAT?
  • Would you buy your Peercoins on… BTC-E, Cryptsy, other trading platform, none?
  • If you had to hold Peercoins, would you rather buy them or mine your own (assuming it is slightly cheaper to buy them directly compared to the electricity cost average)?

Please note that some questions need to be rephrased.

I’m afraid that the amount of information you are asking can’t be done while keeping anonymity. We probably have to be more selective imo.
A lot of your proposed questions can be run through a community poll separately.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:46, topic:1730”]I’m afraid that the amount of information you are asking can’t be done while keeping anonymity. We probably have to be more selective imo.
A lot of your proposed questions can be run through a community poll separately.[/quote]

Let’s do this then! :slight_smile:
Which ones you think are worth running through individual polls?