Results of Peercoin Community Survey

Here is an imgur album of the results of the survey I did a few days ago of the Peercoin community:

http://imgur.com/a/VZqbE

I’m sure it could be better presented but I’m not exactly an expert in statistics :stuck_out_tongue:

Here are the responses to the open-ended questions:

Responses to Question: “Any thoughts/ideas on how to promote Peercoin?”

[i]
Make small videos about it.

More PR probably

advertising and public communication

Showing a “physical” peercoin … And then explaining them how it works, and what it is.

Get the climate change lobby to endorse the commodity. People are not taking global warming seriously enough. I think this would help generate more demand. Also, get statistics on how wasteful the current monetary system is and then compare to BTC. Then compare the former two models with PPC. This will get the attention of the people of reason once hard numbers and valid statistics can be interpreted to conclude that PPC is a material green alternative.

I really don’t think it needs much promotion. The market has a way of separating the good from the bad over the long-run. Even with its low-profile, PPC has a significant market cap.

Lower transaction rate so small time miner can actually receive the benefit of interest instead of the pool

financial magazines

peercoin needs merchants which accept ppc as payment method.

Atms should be installed and something like coinbase for bitcoin is needed.

more faucets

Better client app for minting would be nice.

Keep on the tails of Bitcoin and don’t let go

Vendor acceptance

I feel marketing is Peercoin’s greatest weakness. We need to put together a fund so that we can hire a new community manager. Since JustaBitofTime left, we haven’t had somebody to organize the community in marketing efforts. This needs to change, because nothing is getting done. There are a bunch of community leaders, but nobody that seems to have enough time to dedicate themselves to this task. This person needs to be open and transparent to the community though. We can also use some of that funding directly on marketing efforts.

Bitcoin is currently the only crypto that can easily be used to purchase goods or services from more than just a couple small places. IMO, cryptos that dont start getting real world use are going to start dying off in droves as people realize theyre only really good for high risk speculative investments unless they can actually spend them.

We need shops to accept peercoin as payment

More services are needed.

there should be more articles on the internet about ppc

It needs to be more prominent on exchanges

It needs a more transparent and collective dev team - Oh glorious and wonderful Sunny King this and that doesn’t really instill confidence

Get the ISPs on board.

Maybe send out tips to other people but don’t over do it like Dogecoin over markets itself. Dogecoin pushes a premise that only Bitcoin and Dogecoin exist. Peercoin should openly recognize all altcoins and offer the entire cryptocurrency market a better alternative for long term saving. Peercoin should have to promote itself anyway because it technically isn’t in competition with any other altcoin. No other altcoin is striving to be a low transaction volume backbone currency like gold reserves.

Use it as example/tool to teach people economics.

People have a problem understanding cryptocurrencies, and Peercoin requires another level of explanation on top of that. The website is awesome, but there needs to be a marketing campaign produced that aims at explaining Peercoin and its differences in the simplest way possible.

Tagging it as energy efficient feels more like a ‘hippy liberal’ altcoin without a greater understanding of how this benefits the whole network.

Maybe a pitch that involves it as the ‘stable, savings coin’ would be best.

Explain better to the mass how PoW has it’s downside and how PoS is trying to solve that.

Get a major retailer to accept it.

use twitter much more than you do, and make peercoin a main exchange on cryptsy to be able to exchange other currencies for peercoins. That would make peercoin much more important.

more effort could be put into helping people understand the significance of the high transaction fee (and PoS) and how its goals are different from bitcoin. Perhaps trying to earn institutional recognition maybe even specifically trying to get the attention of Second Market which plans to launch a huge infrastructure for other institutions to trade bitcoin.

localpeercoin

Android Wallet

Better branding, more frequent updates (!) and more dev effort

• Lightweight wallet asap
  • Ads/whitepaper geared to financial media - strongly differentiate from btc, especially pos.
  • Publicly encourage early adopters (i.e. the ppc whales) to donate and or invest toward wider development+exposure. If truly going to be store of value, mkt cap must go much higher which of course benefits every holder.
  • Explain peershares and other projects to mainstream press. Builds understanding among laymen which drives broad investment.

I don’t know. I’m not as excited about PPC as I used to be. Maybe I’ll feel differently when the new version is released.

Maybe produce a promotional video similar to this:
Feathercoin in Action at the Oxford Blue

community building. How about a meetup? :slight_smile:

Get more online retailers to accept it as payment. Maybe since it’s a greener method of creating coin it could work with companies that already promote themselves as green.

Or since many see it as a long term investment, it could be made more ‘legit’ if somehow it worked with traditional investment companies. Fidelity already uses a green path and arrow in their commercials to help people invest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7atn5Zj5hY

more developers

Educational videos.

Promote it as a stable investment when compared to alternate cryptos.

Focus on the minting as well as low energy costs of maintenance.

Make it easy, clear and attractive for corporate use. Peershares is awesome. A peercoin-qt apt-get repository would be very helpful for bigger adoption, because minting is far more efficient and secure on a dedicated low-energy linux device than on a full windows pc/server.

Maybe some symbolic PPC give-aways, in an entertaining way? People will like it and at least get familiar with the PPC.

No thoughts, but I do applaud and commend the current developers and individuals working hard to make this technology viable for the contemporary individual and most importantly a globalized society.

Removing checkpoints, issuing clients which allow to dump private keys, choosing between developing XPM and PPC, they can’t have the same developers.

Raising funds and helping people or projects, as DOGE did with the bobsleigh team.

be adaptive and adpot as many innovations as possible

do not try to make PPC a vault of value, which wont work since people do not want to make PPC holders rich for no reason"

We need more developers. Having one is risky.

I also don’t like this ““back-end”” mindset. I only invest in peercoin because of the centralization of bitcoin’s miners. Peercoin must have liquidity to become a more stable currency.

Google adds ,email,on other cryptoforums

more information, especially concerning transaction fees and minting

We need a new community manager. We need someone to inject some life into this community, give us goals.

Hire a publicist.

Smarter branding and marketing…

The branding of Peercoin is fairly dull. Peercoin is an awesome, generic (p2p) name for a virtual currency, having so much focus on the ““green”” side is not interesting.

Ads on reddit should not be generic, test direct ads on latest developments or projections on the possible future of the Peercoin technology and use.

The most important ““marketing”” for Peercoin is the dev updates (this is still mainly for tech savvy nerds), they are too short and imprecise. Sunny needs more hands on deck and tighten his shit up.

The most efficient promotion for peercoin would be to have a bunch of early adopters conspire to a pump and dump scheme over an extended period. Money talks.

announcing that sunny king was the mind behind bitcoin that left and went on to develop something better, peercoin

Advertisements on pool sites

More advertising! Make sure people are aware of Peercoins improvements over bitcoin.

When Ghash.IO is at risk of owning 51% of bitcoins hash power, we need to get the word out about peercoins hybrid POS system.

When bitcoin prices are highly volatile, we need to get the word out about peercoins variable block rewards which help stabilize prices.

When a major media outlet writes an article about how energy inefficient bitcoin is, we need to get the word out about how little electricity the peercoin network consumes.
and so on…

Proactively welcome worldwide developers request and guide them to the actions/developments priority list. Respond to all requests. (At least have a link in the contribute section of peercoin.net?)

more place to accept ppc

Improve help on peercoin main web site. The command interface is poorly documented for peercoin-qt.

The software needs to be easy to use. Maintenance release needed to fix bugs and improve confidence.

Giveaways. Lots of them!

Frankly, I could see one community leader promoting Peercoin could kickstart a rather nice moon ride.

Also, there is a lack of a simple explanation of Peercoin and its difference to Bitcoin, it’s future potential and /why/ it exists in the first place. I’m not even sure why it exists, think about that for a moment - I’ve probably spent 10-20 hours studying this coin but I’ve forgotten the actual potential of Peercoin. I just like the tech tbh.

(1) need to somehow unit reddit/r/peercoin and peercointalk.org (2) priority to gain media exposure (3) need to promote articles explaining peercoin and its significance distinct from other alt coins.

As someone with a degree in corporate communications and a fair amount of experience in both advertising and marketing, I think it’s important that peercoin embrace a long-term marketing strategy touting the specific benefits of a backbone currency that can serve as a ‘savings account’. PoW/PoS hybrid means nothing to the average individual. Benefits need to be marketed; not technical specs. I would also have more exposure for volunteer sign-ups.

create or piggy-back on media events, e.g. liaise with charity or big events across the world

Invest in innovation, professionalize marketing, active involvement in the crypto scene
[/i]

Responses to Question: “Any other thoughts/comments?”

[i]Smartphone Wallet, Organized Minting Scheduler web app(so as to be used on many devices).

I think Peercoin needs more dedicated developers to push updates out sooner.

The Peercoin community is great. As I said though, we just need somebody that will dedicate themselves to moving things forward. This may require them to be paid. People only have so much free time.

Fixed the gui wallet decrypt feature please, can create sth like dogevault or any online wallet for it

the community seems to be relatively small compared to other coins like litecoin or dogecoin. They achieved more at promoting than peercoin. The dogecoin community for example is building stuff around the currency like flappydoge or dogeminer.se. Peercoin needs to be more business related bringing business solutions which lead to a much faster adoption of peercoin.

concerned that sunny king has already gotten rich and has no need to continue to develop peercoin

Most people think peercoin is just like litecoin and don’t see the store of value perspective.

Soneone, anyone, needs to come up with a good, comprehensive introductory guide to crytptos. The few that exist are either way too simple, or still way to complex. I would be throwing *coins at the first person to make a start to finish, complete guide that slowly and completely brings someone up to speed with all the terminology and such of the crypto scene. Mining, minting, some basic info about exchanges.

Cryptos are still far too complex for your average Joe or Mary-Sue to want to get involved in. It needs to be made much, MUCH less intimidating before it will see any kind of widespread adoption.

We need a much better communication from development team and also more developers

I think there is a small tendency in the community to rest on their laurels as Peercoin is designed to be a long-term currency. I hope people don’t get stuck in a mentality of inaction. In my opinion, the reality is that now is the time to develop services and pursue business adoption. Despite all Peercoin’s great innovations, if the currency cannot be used for anything then it is nothing but a vehicle for speculation.

Release version 4.0 of the QT wallet

Truly believe in Peercoin! Hope the future is bright!

I think proof-of-stake just nailed it and over the coming years we will see Peercoin dominance. It’s perfect. Bitcoin energy consumption increasing by 40% every 2 weeks will cause people to flock to the energy efficient Peercoin.

The moon is made of green cheese.

destroy after reading

add some awesome feaures to the wallet

Peercoin is much a store of value than Bitcoin, it’s less suitable for good purchasing, so it has to be promoted much like a digital asset than a currency.

The coin need better marketing and bigger community.

I think peercoin have a bright future

I worry that Sunny King is the only developer of Peercoin. It is not 100% clear to me if peercoin is open source, and what would happen if he disappeared. This is the weakest aspect of Peercoin.

Peercoin needs a stronger core group of people (developers/"“activists”") S. K. can trust, so as to outwardly appear more unified and robust.

Having only one (1) person in charge of the whole operation is a major turn off. What happens when S.K. god forbid gets hit by a bus (driven by a drunk and agitated Mark Karpeles)?

Who is Sunny King? Why does he need to be anonymous?

Peercoin won’t really take off until it’s value is decoupled from the value of bitcoin. Until then I expect the PPC/BTC ratio to remain about the same. This will probably only happen once mining PPC becomes much much less profitable than mining BTC. Right now mining PPC is like 80% as profitable as mining BTC so the price is mostly decided by miners instead of minters.

From reading the whitepaper on PPC, mining was really only implemented as a fair way to distribute the initial PPC instead of an IPO so we still seem to be in that initial phase.

We need a backup plan for Development. Right now I think the coin is way too dependent on one person. I think Sunny is a great Dev but I don’t like the idea that the success/failure of peercoin so dependent on a single person.

PPC is my favorite crypto, it takes the biggest part of my portfolio.

Keep up the good work.

Get better coordination
[/i]

Great post and graphics, I applauded you. more respondents than I would have expected.

Not anything in the results, I wouldn’t expect. There are a few interesting anomalies though, e.g. percentage of pessimists holding Peercoins. Why wouldn’t you sell if you’re pessimistic about Peercoin? The market is there. Maybe bought at $6.50.

I’ll have to read through these suggestions, but it’s interesting that more people found out about the survey through Facebook compared with Twitter, considering the Twitter account has many more followers.

Noticed that too. I’m inclined to believe that our Facebook followers tend to be individuals who are already Peercoin holders, whereas our Twitter account has many more people following it just out of industry interest (other coins and journalists for example)

the skew in sex ratio wasn’t a surprise but it’s still a little depressing

Yes, it is. Unfortunately the combination of taking risks and geeky technical developments is still very much a man’s domain.

Thanks for it. Owners of about 1%-2% of all Peercoins took part in the survey. So it is reasonable to assume 1%-2% of minting power is actively on line. It would be interesting for the surbey to ask the hashing speed (if mining), too. Then we will know what percentage of network total hashing power took part in the survey. I suspect the percentage of is much greater than 1-2% because those who actively mine tends to be actively on-line while those who own the coins have relatively stronger tendency to sit on the coins and mind other business.

Yes, it is. Unfortunately the combination of taking risks and geeky technical developments is still very much a man’s domain.[/quote]

Is there anything we can do to improve this? The lack of diversity can’t be good for the community.

Not a single respondent from China? Can we assume the language barrier keeps them off these forums and made them unaware of the survey? Or is this a huge, untapped market? The posts in the Chinese section of this site appear to be coming from just a few people. Does anybody have any insight on the Chinese market for PPC?

Yes, it is. Unfortunately the combination of taking risks and geeky technical developments is still very much a man’s domain.[/quote]

Is there anything we can do to improve this? The lack of diversity can’t be good for the community.[/quote]
Better user guides, more information in non-technical wording (e.g. wikis), a user friendly client, more exchanges as easy to use as litebit.eu and aliases for addresses are some things to start with. And possibly some social network integration (e.g. whatsapp, facebook etc.)
Let’s be clear it is not a Peercoin specific problem, it is across all cryptos.

Regarding results from China. Maybe you can contact the forum guys running the Chinese language section. They might be willing to translate your survey and post it on the Chinese fora with links on e.g. Weibo.
When they don’t change the structure of the survey, you would be able to process the outcomes without the need to translate back. Only issues is with the notes and other information, maybe Google translate can help us out a bit as it might be a lot of work to manually translate those back to english. But who knows, asking won’t hurt.

FWIW from Sunny King http://www.cnbc.com/id/101251925

"It seems China is fairly quick to take note of the recent bitcoin craze," he added. "We are trying to improve our user base in China, right now I think our main market is the English speaking world."

Why target the english speaking world when there’s enough community to target the whole world?

[quote=“river333, post:1, topic:1730”]I feel marketing is Peercoin’s greatest weakness. We need to put together a fund so that we can hire a new community manager. Since JustaBitofTime left, we haven’t had somebody to organize the community in marketing efforts. This needs to change, because nothing is getting done. There are a bunch of community leaders, but nobody that seems to have enough time to dedicate themselves to this task. This person needs to be open and transparent to the community though. We can also use some of that funding directly on marketing efforts.

It needs to be more prominent on exchanges

People have a problem understanding cryptocurrencies, and Peercoin requires another level of explanation on top of that. The website is awesome, but there needs to be a marketing campaign produced that aims at explaining Peercoin and its differences in the simplest way possible.

more effort could be put into helping people understand the significance of the high transaction fee (and PoS) and how its goals are different from bitcoin. Perhaps trying to earn institutional recognition maybe even specifically trying to get the attention of Second Market which plans to launch a huge infrastructure for other institutions to trade bitcoin.

Better branding, more frequent updates (!) and more dev effort

• Lightweight wallet asap
  • Ads/whitepaper geared to financial media - strongly differentiate from btc, especially pos.
  • Publicly encourage early adopters (i.e. the ppc whales) to donate and or invest toward wider development+exposure. If truly going to be store of value, mkt cap must go much higher which of course benefits every holder.
  • Explain peershares and other projects to mainstream press. Builds understanding among laymen which drives broad investment.

Maybe produce a promotional video similar to this:
Feathercoin in Action at the Oxford Blue

more developers

Educational videos.

Maybe some symbolic PPC give-aways, in an entertaining way? People will like it and at least get familiar with the PPC.

Raising funds and helping people or projects, as DOGE did with the bobsleigh team.

We need more developers. Having one is risky.

We need a new community manager. We need someone to inject some life into this community, give us goals.

Smarter branding and marketing…

Get better coordination
[/i][/quote]

Some good ideas imo. A common theme seems to be explaining the complexities of peercoin in it’s simplest form. I’ll give this a shot tomorrow.

I’d like to see a large, well planned, community backed fundraiser near the end of the year. One fundraiser that makes headlines is worth more than dozens that don’t.

Although I responded to the survey, I did not add any ideas, as I was busy with other matters. Just a couple of points:

First, Sunny’s updates should have their own dedicated forum, above the “welcome board for new beginners”. Only Sunny/moderators should post. This is the single most important item, yet it is presently playing second fiddle to humdrum matters such as Marketplace and Other, the latter of which, by definition, has nothing to do with Peercoin

Second, none of the altcoin websites have named people, as far as I can see, let alone photographs of people. I think we can do alot to promote confidence in Peercoin by adding a link to the Peercoin website along the lines of “People”, or “About us”, or “Who are we?”. Something like this, perhaps:
https://www.vaultofsatoshi.com/about

Sunny has to be number one - anonymity is okay so long as it is explained (the mystique can even be beneficial) - but it needs to be balanced with a couple of identified people with photos (and I don’t mean dodgy passport photos). Do we have any volunteers among the Development Team?

It does not need the whole Team, just a couple of photo-profiles, and perhaps a couple of non-photo-profiles.

With regards to the idea of having a “Team” link from the website, here is how Vertcoin does it:
https://vertcoin.org/team.html
They maintain anonymity, but still provide sufficient information for the reader to know they are real people
Peercoin.net might adopt this idea for Team/Developers who want to keep a low-profile …

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:15, topic:1730”]With regards to the idea of having a “Team” link from the website, here is how Vertcoin does it:
They maintain anonymity, but still provide sufficient information for the reader to know they are real people
Peercoin.net might adopt this idea for Team/Developers who want to keep a low-profile …[/quote]

+1. Definitely good idea.

Impressive and Kudos to great efforts. Keep it up

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:15, topic:1730”]With regards to the idea of having a “Team” link from the website, here is how Vertcoin does it:
Peercoin.net might adopt this idea for Team/Developers who want to keep a low-profile …[/quote]
Another +1 Gives Peercoin a bit of a face.

Yeah good idea, the new Peershares website has something similar: http://peershares.net/team/

We’ll have something similar for PeerUnity, but that site has been a secondary consideration, to this point.