Raspberry PI Peercoin nodes

If no one beats me to it, I’m going to:

[ul][li]Create a git project with information about how to setup a Raspberry PI node and mint with it.[/li]
[li]Buy a domain where I display this information in a nice way.[/li]
[li]Create casing for the Raspberry PI and sell on the site.[/li]
[li]Sell the mining machine to people who lack the skill or are to lazy to create a node.[/li]
[li]Since its all open source, I will ask for donations and stuff like that. Perhaps even turn it into a Peershare project.[/li][/ul]

This will be the first best super Peercoin mining machine on sale and I will be super rich!

Or perhaps you will beat me to it?

1 Like

Nice initiative. Your challenge is to be trustworthy. Hope you have a good plan to get that before you start selling ready to mint plug-and-play Raspberry-PI nodes. Anyway, good luck.

I think it’s a good idea to make an official raspberrian-linux-ppcoind image for burning on sdcard. All user needs to do is plugging that sdcard in, with network cable, and ssh to run some scripts for setting up minting and whatnot, no need usb keyboard/mouse/hmdi monitor as normal people these days pry have only laptop, tablet, and smartphone.

Naturally this will be the real kind of business we’re already familiar with; pre-orders, law suits and shady deals. I suspect I’ll end up with millions, a seat at the foundation and finally imprisoned. :not speak:

No I’m only joking. I’m sure I’ll end up with a loss and all kinds off headaches, but I feel Peercoin could benefit greatly from making minting and running full-nodes easier for those who knows less about these things.

To be trustworthy and to get the most effect from this endeavor I would very much like it, if this was an open source thing. Security by obscurity is bad for one thing. Also if its open, people could reinstall devices bought from me and so forth and so on.

One concern that I have is how to handle warranties. If I’m buying and reselling components I wonder how that works. Any suggestions?

1 Like

If you buy in bulk from a vendor, you would normally get a number of items for warranty purposes (or a beter deal per item). If you are buying small numbers you would need to make deal with the vendor to provide similar warranty to you, or you just take the risk or start repairing any defects yourself if possible.

Also ensure you don’t fall in the pitfall of shipping costs especially for warranties on overseas orders assuming you don’t want to burn yourself too much.

Regarding the trustworthiness I’m referring to the image you would supply to mint when they buy the Rpi from you. Best to sign those images, either by yourself or by other trusted parties to prevent people from falsely accusing you that they lost their Peercoins because of your image. At least you can then ask to produce the device and see if the original image with the digital signatures is still in place.

Hope that helps as I would really like to see this offered for current but especially new, less technical Peercoin holders.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:5, topic:2354”]If you buy in bulk from a vendor, you would normally get a number of items for warranty purposes (or a beter deal per item). If you are buying small numbers you would need to make deal with the vendor to provide similar warranty to you, or you just take the risk or start repairing any defects yourself if possible.

Also ensure you don’t fall in the pitfall of shipping costs especially for warranties on overseas orders assuming you don’t want to burn yourself too much.

Regarding the trustworthiness I’m referring to the image you would supply to mint when they buy the Rpi from you. Best to sign those images, either by yourself or by other trusted parties to prevent people from falsely accusing you that they lost their Peercoins because of your image. At least you can then ask to produce the device and see if the original image with the digital signatures is still in place.

Hope that helps as I would really like to see this offered for current but especially new, less technical Peercoin holders.[/quote]

Thank you for your helpful advice. I’ll look into this warranty thing. If it turns out to be more work then I’ve got time for, I think I’ll still create a site with details of how to set up a device, provide images and all that jazz. First I’ve got to learn how to do it myself (at least I’ve now bought a pi of my own).

(Contrary to what I wrote in my first post, I’m actually not looking to make loads of money here. I just really want to see the number of minting nodes increase.)

[quote=“pillow, post:4, topic:2354”]Naturally this will be the real kind of business we’re already familiar with; pre-orders, law suits and shady deals. I suspect I’ll end up with millions, a seat at the foundation and finally imprisoned. :not speak:

No I’m only joking. I’m sure I’ll end up with a loss and all kinds off headaches, but I feel Peercoin could benefit greatly from making minting and running full-nodes easier for those who knows less about these things.

To be trustworthy …

One concern that I have is how to handle warranties. If I’m buying and reselling components I wonder how that works. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Hahahaha !!! Pillow you have a wonderful way with words :enjoying:

This is a wonderful idea, and I hope you do it.

Feel free to link to the Spreading Peercoin on Pi thread for your customers to get their 10 PPC tip! Almost like a rebate people can earn against the purchase price.

Edit: actually, I might be being presumptuous, you should check with river333, he is running the effort.

Re: warranties, if I were you I would just say, sorry no warranty cause I’m not making any money off of you! But, here is a picture of your RPi running with its serial number on my monitor. Please post your positive experiences on this site so others can know you got a good deal here!

I’ll buy some of them from you for my nephews, nieces and friends, etc. :slight_smile:

The modern day techno whiz bang new piggy bank!!!

[quote=“pillow, post:1, topic:2354”]If no one beats me to it, I’m going to:

[ul][li]Create a git project with information about how to setup a Raspberry PI node and mint with it.[/li]
[li]Sell the mining machine to people who lack the skill or are to lazy to create a node.[/li]
[li]Since its all open source, I will ask for donations and stuff like that. Perhaps even turn it into a Peershare project.[/li][/ul]

This will be the first best super Peercoin mining machine on sale and I will be super rich!

Or perhaps you will beat me to it?[/quote]

Cool idea :slight_smile: Feel free to use any of my scripts if you need them

[quote=“Tea42, post:8, topic:2354”][quote=“pillow, post:1, topic:2354”]If no one beats me to it, I’m going to:

Or perhaps you will beat me to it?[/quote]

Cool idea :slight_smile: Feel free to use any of my scripts if you need them[/quote]

I will sure do so! You’re doing an awesome job. Perhaps you would also like to sell some devices? (My secret goal is to be replaced by someone else who is doing a better job. That’s why I’m talking about all the money I will make, to kind of lure you in… is it working?)

Thanks! But it’s all yours ;D I’m not going to sell anything, my current secret plan is to learn C++ (again) and score some extra ppc with dev bounties. It’ll probably improve the reusability of my scripts aswell :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks! But it’s all yours ;D I’m not going to sell anything, my current secret plan is to learn C++ (again) and score some extra ppc with dev bounties. It’ll probably improve the reusability of my scripts aswell :P[/quote]

LoL, yes I also have some of those secret plants too. I did some research into building my own Peercoin ATM but I think I’ll have to let that one go. The competition in that space is heating up and I’ve not been able to recruit any of my friends. I’m also about to launch my own fund (a legal entity, nothing shady) so this here raspberry pi thing is just I figure that I can take what you have already done, add a little to it and then just put it up there and perhaps sell a few devices to inspire other people to do the same and if we are many people doing this - it will be awesome.

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:7, topic:2354”][quote=“pillow, post:4, topic:2354”]Naturally this will be the real kind of business we’re already familiar with; pre-orders, law suits and shady deals. I suspect I’ll end up with millions, a seat at the foundation and finally imprisoned. :not speak:

To be trustworthy …

One concern that I have is how to handle warranties. If I’m buying and reselling components I wonder how that works. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Hahahaha !!! Pillow you have a wonderful way with words :enjoying:

This is a wonderful idea, and I hope you do it.

Feel free to link to the Spreading Peercoin on Pi thread for your customers to get their 10 PPC tip! Almost like a rebate people can earn against the purchase price.

Edit: actually, I might be being presumptuous, you should check with river333, he is running the effort.

Re: warranties, if I were you I would just say, sorry no warranty cause I’m not making any money off of you! But, here is a picture of your RPi running with its serial number on my monitor. Please post your positive experiences on this site so others can know you got a good deal here!

I’ll buy some of them from you for my nephews, nieces and friends, etc. :slight_smile:

The modern day techno whiz bang new piggy bank!!![/quote]

Hey! Thanks man! That’s really cool of you! When I have something solid we have to talk more about this 10 PPC thing for customers. Thanks for you kind words and feedback too! I’ll see what I can do about it. At the very least I will try to put something up there, so other people can piggyback on my work just as I’ll be piggybacking on Tea42.

I do have something awesome in mind though, so I’ll hope I’ll pull it off. :whistle:

check this out

Get Peercoin full node on raspberry pi in 30 minutes

Also

Minting guide

Realizing how difficult it would be to ensure that there was not security wholes, I’ve decided to not do this until I really, really, know what I’m doing.

I definitely do not want to sell anything that people will run out-of-the-box only to find out their coins were stolen.

Also, it seems as though there are other people here thinking about much better things to do, like running it on smaller and cheaper devices: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2824.15

I think he knows by now :stuck_out_tongue:

You never know, its always better to say things before is it too late. But I guess he knows :smiley: