**Quick Guide!** - How to mine Primecoin

[quote=“coinchart, post:20, topic:193”]

I’m looking for the “/roaming/primecoin/primecoin.conf” so I can add “gen=1” for automatic mining when I reboot the PC. Anyone that know how to do this? I can not find that file…

Under Settings/Options

Would the “Start Bitcoin on system login” selection accomplish the above need?

Also, What does setting the transaction fee do and if so what amount should this be set too?

Thank you.

PS. Kudos to craslovell for the generous offer![/quote]

Thank you, I’m hoping no big guys hop in before I get a chance to get everything running tomorrow. It will only be temporary, but I should have eight 12 core processors running at once.

Yes. You also have to select the “Start Bitcoin on system login” selection in addition to adding “gen=1” in the “primecoin.conf” file.

So you are planning a 50 % attack… ;D

So you are planning a 50 % attack… ;D[/quote]

Even with all 96 cores I don’t think it would come very close :stuck_out_tongue:

Hah, we’re holding you to that. Good luck, I’m assuming it’s a server farm from a workplace?

Hah, we’re holding you to that. Good luck, I’m assuming it’s a server farm from a workplace?[/quote]

You got it, my supervisor is in to crypto as well so he mentioned that checking CPU performance out of curiosity would be ok. Like I said temporary though.

We have several servers that are each packing quad 12 core opterons. If I’m really lucky we will have 4 sitting around and I can try it out with 192 cores ::slight_smile:

Hopefully they already have an OS loaded

It looks like primespersec have stabilized. Is that due to the network stabilization or does it keep an average of that?

I successfully compiled primecoind in OS X 10.8.4. I get 0-4 primespersec with an i7 1.8 GHz in Macbook Air mid-2011. Is it worth bothering at this rate?

Give it some time, I believe you’ll probably average out at something a little higher than that. How long have you had it running? Let it run a few days you could get a few blocks while the difficulty is relatively low.

I’m trying to figure out the same thing. My numbers continue to jump around.

Give it some time, I believe you’ll probably average out at something a little higher than that. How long have you had it running? Let it run a few days you could get a few blocks while the difficulty is relatively low.[/quote]

Okay, just about two hours. It was up at 8, down to 5, and currently 6. Thanks!

Edit: Up to 12 and down to 10.

Not a problem, good luck. I’m running mine at setgenerate true (x) where x is one less core than the CPU max.

So for my 6 core AMD I run setgenerate true 5

It seems to be giving me higher consistent primespersec, though I am gpu mining on that rig as well and if I don’t exclude one core my cgminer performance hits the gutter.

Ok, I just started this up and did exactly what you said. I have never mined anything before, but figured I’d give it a shot. I have an Alienware M17X R3 laptop. My primespersec is so far going between 18 and 88. Does this sound right?

3 questions:

• What does primespersec mean? Does this number judge how fast you will mine coins?
  • When I mine coins like this, do they just show up where it says balance?
  • If CPU usage is at 100% is there any danger in just leaving my computer on all the time, like overheating?

My top rate yet is 23 primespersec, down at 2 now.

I have 60 XPM, so it’s definitely worth mining with my Air. A friend with Sandy Bridge i5 3.3 GHz (desktop) has got 80 XPM in only a few hours less time. 8)

Does the CPU keep mining when I go to bed and the computer falls into Sleep mode?

How do I keep it mining if so?

Thanks

When I got to check my computer today it said that the Wallet was behind so I’m assuming it stopped mining when it went into Sleep mode.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct and that I must set the computer never to sleep?

Well, it’s been 10 hours and I have 19.84 XPM. Is this normal for my speed? It’s been around 80-90 pps.

[quote=“coinchart, post:36, topic:193”]When I got to check my computer today it said that the Wallet was behind so I’m assuming it stopped mining when it went into Sleep mode.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct and that I must set the computer never to sleep?[/quote]

When the computer sleeps it goes to a low power state and program activity stops. If you want it to continue mining, you need to set it to not sleep.

So I mined some primecoin. My first ever of any kind! pretty exciting for me anyway.

Question:

It says they are immature and unconfirmed.

Do I need to do anything for these to be confirmed?

Will each “find” have a different transaction address and if the transaction
address where discovered by someone else, does that mean all of these
19.73 XPM would be vunerable to theft?

I’m also trying to mine some XMP
My “hashrate” is around 200 pps
I got 19.64 XMP labelled as immature which have completely disappeared off my wallet before to be confirmed
Can someboby be so kind to explain me this issue ???
Thank in advance