Question for peercoin devs

Hi everybody, [member=30141]sigmike[/member], [member=79]Sunny King[/member],

Could someone explain to me in detail why kernel stakes need to be split in half when younger than 90 days:

It looks like it’s being done for security reasons as commented here:

It doesn’t seem to be enforce by Peercoin protocol though.

I find it a bit annoying to have my stakes cut in half each time I find a valid kernel on testnet.

Thanx in advance for your explanations.

when btc-e was minting i saw those imputs weren’t splitted , they were 5000 PPC inputs, so as you say it happens only if they are younger than 90 days? Maybe that is what happened, i dont know, maybe they use a custom client version, so you could disable splitting, but i dont know how you can modify the client, just some random thoughts.

Being able to find a kernel in less than 90 days probably means the output has a lot of coins.

If outputs having a lot of coins are splitted into two outputs that will look for kernels independently, there would be a lot more outputs minting. The splitting will go on until most of the utxos will find kernels in more than 90 days.

For example this address https://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2731.0 continuouly finds blocks because all outputs are splitted to 100-200PPC outputs. It would find one every 30 days if all cions are in one output.

[quote=“mhps, post:3, topic:3532”]Being able to find a kernel in less than 90 days probably means the output has a lot of coins.

If outputs having a lot of coins are splitted into two outputs that will look for kernels independently, there would be a lot more outputs minting. The splitting will go on until most of the utxos will find kernels in more than 90 days.

For example this address https://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2731.0 continuouly finds blocks because all outputs are splitted to 100-200PPC outputs. It would find one every 30 days if all cions are in one output.[/quote]

Hi [member=5782]mhps[/member], thanx for answering.

So I guess it’s rather a way to optimize minting rather that increase security? Both are related though.

What if difficulty suddenly increase? You’ll have to manually merge back your splitted stakes I guess.

Could a core dev chime in on this?

Yes that’s how I understood it too. I think it increases security because it makes everybody roughly optimize his stake. Otherwise only most knowledgeable ones would do it and it would increase centralization.

Note that having your outputs split is always an advantage regarding your chances of finding a block. When you’ve 2 outputs with half the coins you have the same chances of finding a block but when you do only half your coins are locked. The other half is still minting. So combining your outputs would probably only make sense when you’ve so many outputs you can’t compute all the hashes, or you start paying too much fees.

[quote=“sigmike, post:5, topic:3532”]Yes that’s how I understood it too. I think it increases security because it makes everybody roughly optimize his stake. Otherwise only most knowledgeable ones would do it and it would increase centralization.

Note that having your outputs split is always an advantage regarding your chances of finding a block. When you’ve 2 outputs with half the coins you have the same chances of finding a block but when you do only half your coins are locked. The other half is still minting. So combining your outputs would probably only make sense when you’ve so many outputs you can’t compute all the hashes, or you start paying too much fees.[/quote]

Thanx sigmike.