Q: Gender distribution of community

So, hear me out, this is a touchy subject in the tech world :slight_smile:

I know that when people register at the forums, they have the option of selecting a gender. Do the moderators have access to a measure of what the current gender distribution is? I ask because I’m really curious if cryptocurrency is as male-dominated as the technology and finance fields tend to be, or if it’s more accurately a depiction of what life is really like.

edit: Fixed a bothersome typo that kept screaming out at me when I looked at this post… :slight_smile:

There is one solitary member who has selected female a their gender!!

about 540 male selected members

1700ish undefined gender

Fuzzybear

In that case, we’ve got some work to do.

I’ll pull together my thoughts on the subject and submit a proposal. Thanks for the information, FuzzyBear.

Same gender gap issue exists in Bitcoin.

I think women could be an interesting target for Peercoin. Many women care about sustainability and ecology. Bitcoin and other pure PoW-currencies offer little to this segment (mining, particularly, appears to me like a very “male” thing).

At a broad demographic level, women are less interested in hard technology discussions. This does not mean they are any less capable of understanding them, but anyone who works in the programming/tech sectors can attest to the disproportionately large representation of males.

If we choose to begin spreading the word about Peercoin to women, I believe it will have to be “usage-based” rationale, not “technical-based”.

By that I mean that we would want to highlight its potential to be used for online purchases in the future through popular retailers, its “hip/modern” energy-efficiency features that would make it a status symbol to own, and its ability to save them money on transaction fees.

I’m reminded of Stephen Hawking’s quote (before publishing a book) where he said “someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales”. Beyond just women, I think it’s something valuable to keep in mind when we’re generating awareness to anyone who is not technically-inclined; we should always attempt to minimize and simplify the messaging to avoid throwing out complex technical terms like hashing, nonces, or difficulty adjustments.

That’s the direction I was leaning in when I asked the question, initially. If we can find a way to market Peercoin in such a way that it’s obvious to people how to use it and why it’s useful – not from the technical side, but the actual usage, we’ll reach a huge number of people.

If we just market to the people who are interested in crypto today, we’re missing out. Also, because I know there are women in the world who do have the technical aptitude and interest in crypto-currencies to not just get it, but to contribute to Peercoin’s development, we should make a concerted effort to identify who they are, and to bring them into the project. From my experience, consumer products that I’ve worked on that have both male and female viewpoints guiding the direction are more successful, because they don’t fall into gender-biased traps.

If Peercoin can unshackle itself from the pure tech-crowd, and market itself to every man and woman on the planet, we’d have a sizable jump over other currencies.

[quote=“Ben, post:7, topic:753”]That’s the direction I was leaning in when I asked the question, initially. If we can find a way to market Peercoin in such a way that it’s obvious to people how to use it and why it’s useful – not from the technical side, but the actual usage, we’ll reach a huge number of people.

If we just market to the people who are interested in crypto today, we’re missing out. Also, because I know there are women in the world who do have the technical aptitude and interest in crypto-currencies to not just get it, but to contribute to Peercoin’s development, we should make a concerted effort to identify who they are, and to bring them into the project. From my experience, consumer products that I’ve worked on that have both male and female viewpoints guiding the direction are more successful, because they don’t fall into gender-biased traps.

If Peercoin can unshackle itself from the pure tech-crowd, and market itself to every man and woman on the planet, we’d have a sizable jump over other currencies.[/quote]

This.

I am thinking about starting a separate, multilingual info-portal about Peercoin which takes this into account (like http://www.weusecoins.com) and is directed to non-techies / newbies. The problem is that PPC is, for now, a bit difficult to use for non-techies (we need easier PoS minting, an “Electrum-like” minimalist client etc) and I also am waiting for the checkpoint issue to be resolved. For this reason I am waiting for PPC 0.4 and then will decide if I start such an informative website project.

@d5000, you know you’ll have my support in that endeavor.

In general, I like the idea of a web site with “foot notes”, you can read the content and get the layman’s overview and marketing pitch, but for every point raised, there’s a way to dig deeper and deeper. Peercoins (and other open-source projects) have an awesome advantage over closed-source projects in that the marketing materials don’t have to be sanitized to avoid linking to deep technical discussions (there are no secrets here, and the code is available for anyone who wants to take a look).

Example of a simplified content structure:

[ul][li]Learn about Peercoin
[list]
[li]What can I do with Peercoins?[/li]
[li]How do I get Peercoins?
[list]
[li]What’s Proof of Work?[/li]
[li]What’s Proof of Stake?
[list]
[li]How, exactly does Proof of Work, er… work?[/li]
[list]
[li]Details of Technical Implementation
[/li][/list]
[/list]
[/li]
[/list]
[/li]
[/list]
[/li][/ul]

[quote=“d5000, post:5, topic:753”]I think women could be an interesting target for Peercoin. Many women care about sustainability and ecology. Bitcoin and other pure PoW-currencies offer little to this segment (mining, particularly, appears to me like a very “male” thing).[/quote]I think we could appeal to a female demographic, but we would have to abstract the highly technical part. We would need a new client for that.

I’m starting to see more and more women that I know become interested in crypto. I’ve got a conversation set up with one of my wife’s good friends who runs a bunch of groups in the Bay Area that focus on getting more women involved in technology. I think I’ve got a good shot at convincing her to pitch crypto (specifically, PPC) at her next couple of meetups.

Also, my sister is a broker on for a NY firm, and while she wasn’t buying my story a month ago, I have a feeling when I mention that my investments have done better in the last 21 days than hers have in the last 365, that she could soon be joining us here in the Community :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ben, post:11, topic:753”]I’m starting to see more and more women that I know become interested in crypto. I’ve got a conversation set up with one of my wife’s good friends who runs a bunch of groups in the Bay Area that focus on getting more women involved in technology. I think I’ve got a good shot at convincing her to pitch crypto (specifically, PPC) at her next couple of meetups.

Also, my sister is a broker on for a NY firm, and while she wasn’t buying my story a month ago, I have a feeling when I mention that my investments have done better in the last 21 days than hers have in the last 365, that she could soon be joining us here in the Community :)[/quote]

This is so true and good ben, I was interested in a speaker Bret who was discussing the gender divide in bitcoin and how it is totally male dominated environment, i posed the question of what was the best way to counter this is to have some women take lead role in the community and we should actively search them out and promote them and help them show other women that they can get involved and do things better than us men can

fuzzybear

I’ve reached out to http://girlsintechuk.com/ to get their thoughts on the issue. If you are aware of similar groups I encourage you to do the same.

Interesting thread that I just noticed. I don’t doubt that women are very much under-represented here but I think they are also under-represented among people who volunteer to indicate gender on the internet (I am 100% sure you have more than one registered female user on this board). This is a very civilized and pleasant board where I wouldn’t expect problems, but I think many women are not in the habit of disclosing gender on most discussion boards, especially tech oriented ones. Maybe it is just very well moderated here, and/or Peercoin attracts very civilized people. :slight_smile:

I don’t think it is necessary to cut out the tech stuff for women any more than for the general population. Especially among younger people, I don’t think there is a very big difference in ability of men and women to comprehend much of what is on this board, and the generational difference is probably much bigger (and much more difficult to address). Plus at this early stage, you are going to attract mostly people who are curious about the tech aspects, regardless of gender or age, so it is a “plus” rather than a “minus.”

Also, the gender gap for crypto is mostly a different thing from the gender gap in interest in video games and pro sports because the gender gaps for those are probably due to the focus on competition rather than utility, from significant invested time and effort – so I do agree with the suggestion that more focus on utility, and the fact that Peercoin aims to reduce waste, is a very good idea. I very much count aesthetics among utility (aesthetics of a system, or aesthetics of graphic design, etc.). Women may have a somewhat different sense of aesthetics (in general, obviously). I like that you allowed voting on Peercoin’s logo for example (I like the logo btw) and so for things like that, it would be helpful to increase the # of women in the community to provide input. I don’t at all mean to make things “feminine,” but just “neutral.”

The other thing that would help is to recruit diverse merchants for accepting PPC. I think the primary purchasing uses for bitcoin are not generally appealing for most women and probably hurt the reputation of crypto with women.

Excellent post and good points, agreed if u could buy gifts and products that women would be interested in I think more would be interested in having some ppc.

I agree there is probably more of age and ability limitations when it comes to posts and info that is too technical or difficult to understand.

I think its a social habit not to disclose your gender as female on such forums and I imagine there are more than 1 registered female on here. Many thanks for the kind words about the forum :slight_smile: not heavily moderated just enough to keep out spam and a good core group sharing knowledge before any troll gets a chance to spread fud.

Fuzzybear

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

That’s a very good point about GIFTS. Thus far the primary purchasing utility for cryptocurrencies are purchases when you want to keep your activity secret, hence the nature of the purchases. However, another reason for secrecy is for gift giving, such as when purchasing a gift for a spouse, and not wanting to share its cost via a credit card bill. Otherwise, to be honest, using credit cards makes far more sense for customers, and the main reason I suggested recruiting merchants is to promote Peercoin, and not because I thought this was the most sensible utility for the coin.

Another utility idea for the types of “merchants” to recruit to PPC (and appeal to both genders): Those that require repeat payments such as subscriptions. Ideally these would be well-established companies; say, the NYTimes could accept Peercoins for subscription fees, and give a discount to customers who use that payment feature and thus save the company CC fees (split the savings, or even give over 50% to the customer, which would still be significant savings for the company if the majority of customers adopt this payment method and use it over a long period of repeat payments). This would benefit both the customer and merchant. Surely, security would not be an issue for payments to the NYTimes! (Anyone have any contacts there?)

My last comment on utility: I became interested in cryptocoins because I was fascinated by how they work, but I wasn’t very motivated to purchase coins until I thought of a very useful and needed utility for me personally, which is international transfer of small amounts of money, for which wire transfer fees are excessive. I’ve now done this and was very happy with how well it worked (and rather than fees, I ended up making a bit of money in the process). I really think this is the biggest and most useful thing about cryptocoins (legal use, that is) and it is now a reasonably mature and ready-to-use feature. So I think it is the utility to push the most, rather than online purchasing, at least for a while. Not just international transfers, but other cases where credit cards aren’t practical or possible, like paying the person who mows your lawn, or sending money to family and friends.

Maybe more on-topic for this thread: after my first post I thought of another reason why women are much less drawn to bitcoin, which is the associated politics, especially the most extreme forms. I think the most extreme forms are unappealing to plenty of men as well, but almost certainly more so to women. Our “authoritative” and “violent” government, our laws, and tax-supported law enforcement are actually pretty much essential to protect women from violence and other mistreatment. It is really awful to be a woman in many parts of the world where laws and enforcement are less effective or even absent. The anti-government and anti-law enforcement and anti-tax philosophies, and the primary current utility of cryptocoins being illegal activity (quite blatantly displayed on the Bitcointalk forum), is a very significant issue for both genders but especially for women, I think. I was able to appreciate the beauty of the technical aspects of bitcoin enough to just look away and not think too much about the strongly associated politics and philosophies, but one has to be pretty enthusiastic about the technology to manage that, I think. And the politics, even if less extreme forms, is really very strongly associated with the technology – see Overstock.com’s “philosophical justification” for accepting bitcoin.

I’m sure there are Peercoin enthusiasts who may not like the above train of thought but I also think that’s far more likely to be the case for bitcoin, so maybe the politics are an opportunity to contrast PPC/XPM from bitcoin and many other cryptocoins (anoncoin!!), and at the same time increase the appeal to women. Trying to distance our coins from the current political associations would also help to recruit a wider range of merchants (NYTimes!) since at this point, a mainstream merchant accepting cryptos is very much making a political/philosophical statement.

I don’t think the currently associated politics are an essential aspect of cryptocoins, and the “disruptive” nature of the technology may end up being very supportive of politics and philosophies closer to the other end of the spectrum, or at least its middle, at least in the long run. While in the U.S. a person who is physically bigger and stronger does not usually have overwhelming power (thanks to law enforcement), it definitely is the case that money does have overwhelming power (and this is why the US is not a true democracy). The fact that the true source of cryptocoins is relatively hard to trace and could contribute at least indirectly to political campaigns, I’m hoping, will at long last make the huge amount of money in politics, and how it is distributed, unacceptable, and there will be sufficient motivation to establish a more sane and fair mechanism for supporting political campaigns (some mechanism that involves primarily public support for each candidate’s campaign).

But those are thoughts for the long term. In the meantime, maybe we can get The Nation, or Mother Jones, or The NYTimes, or The Onion to accept PPC and make a statement with that. ;D

Edit: I changed the comment about promoting “The other end” of the political spectrum which was not what I meant. I like being for the Green coin, not the Red one!!