Primecoin fork

is it ok to make a new primecoin fork? hte problem i see is that it would be possible to use the already generated chains from the primecoin blockchain to “mine” them manually again, or am i wrong?

If I understand it correctly, a fork of Primecoin (or any cryptocurrency that uses a block chain) can prevent this by using a different genesis hash. That’s probably a wild simplification, however, of what else would need to be done.

If you don’t mind me asking, are you looking to fork it for personal uses (to play around with variables and model how it would affect the main branch), or are you attempting to create a completely new cryptocurrency?

Could you explain why a different genesis block would disqualify already discovered chains?

[quote=“Ben, post:2, topic:1061”]If I understand it correctly, a fork of Primecoin (or any cryptocurrency that uses a block chain) can prevent this by using a different genesis hash. That’s probably a wild simplification, however, of what else would need to be done.

If you don’t mind me asking, are you looking to fork it for personal uses (to play around with variables and model how it would affect the main branch), or are you attempting to create a completely new cryptocurrency?[/quote]

i dont plan anything, this problem came to my mind and was wondering, how is this handled. at bitcoin, i understand that mining a block depends on an once which depends on previous block etc… but at primecoin, there is no salt in the block. still dont get it, though.

bump

You can fork a blockchain at any point in the chain by making the correct changes.

Yes, but what are those changes?

After looking into it, and I’m not entirely clear on it, the first prime in the chain is derived from the block header hash. The existing chains would be unusable because they were derived with a different block header hash.

It tries to find a number of this form:
n = h * p# +/- 1

Where h is the block header hash and p# is a primorial and n is the probable prime. It then tries to find a chain using that prime.

If I understand this correctly, you just need to use a different genesis block as stated above.