PPC vs NVC

For reference I am new to the world of crypto currency and really enjoying learning about it, even considering a good investment to start mining properly!

My question here is - since PPC and NVC are based on the same program how come 1 coin of NVC is worth so much and PPC so little?

If the total supply for NVC was the same as PPC would they be at same price?

Total noob question I know, but if someone cares to explain its very appreciated :wink:

[quote=ā€œDestiffmast, post:1, topic:288ā€]For reference I am new to the world of crypto currency and really enjoying learning about it, even considering a good investment to start mining properly!

My question here is - since PPC and NVC are based on the same program how come 1 coin of NVC is worth so much and PPC so little?

If the total supply for NVC was the same as PPC would they be at same price?

Total noob question I know, but if someone cares to explain its very appreciated ;)[/quote]

I believe there are a LOT more PPC in the world than there are NVC is the short answer.

Also NVC has some dubious history in its elementsā€¦ mainly the premine that happened and a few people claiming of an unfair launch, but it was the first fork of PPC to use script and is much likt LTC was to BTC, NVC is to PPCā€¦ But also the speed at which BTC-e accepted NVC on their exchange caused a number of people to speculate that there was some inside deal between Bathozar the developer and BTC-e and it looks most likely. There has been a concerted effort by the NVC holders and exchange it seems to keep the NVC price stable and hence the price valuation of the coin.

I take it you are looking at a direct PPC to BTC price and comparing it to NVC to BTCā€¦ this does not take into account the number of coins in existenceā€¦ but also if you start to look at the % profitability to mine on dustcoin or coinchoose then this also gives slightly skewed reading as the popularity of the coin to the miners is not highlighted hereā€¦ the total hashrate on PPC was at least twice that of what was on NVC last time I looked but was a while agoā€¦ wonder what it is now.

Hope this helps give some insight into the factors to consider

FuzzyBear

BTC-E received 100,000 NVC to put it up on the exchange (from the pre-mine) and after accusations ended up destroying the coins. I also donā€™t agree that NVC is to PPC what LTC is to BTC, it is a scam coin that combined LTC & PPC ideas to make it look like a new ā€œligitā€ coin - no innovation just pure copy and paste + find ā€œPPCā€ and replace with ā€œNVCā€. So it is beyond me why people still buy itā€¦

Yes no you are quite right and you portrayed my view better than i :slight_smile: With comparing NVC to PPC and LTC to BTC i was merely trying to mighlight the fact that they did not actually change anything in the core code, only the hash usedā€¦ and yes as LTCā€™s innovation was to use script, for NVC to use scrypt was no inovation at allā€¦ perhaps a better comparison is NVC is like feathercoin in that regardā€¦

agreed though I have never mined Novacoin and have not bought any as wellā€¦ and I have hoarded a lot of different coins as well and would not know why people would with that one.

FuzzyBear

Despite NVCā€™s current exchange value, the egregious premine (which is a substantial percent of total coins in existence right now) has pushed me to avoid it altogether.

It just makes me feel that NVC has a bad ā€œvibeā€ to it if you willā€¦ too many negatives, not enough positives.

As Fuzzy mentioned, the price is most likely propped up by people holding a ton of NVC. Of course they would have interest in keeping it stable.

Total coins in circulation between PPC and NVC is something close to 20 million PPC and 400K NVC, so there is indeed quite a gap there.

To the OP: The relevant number is called Market cap. You can see it, for example, at coinmarketcap.com. Itā€™s the total number of coins out there multiplied with the actual value in a fiat currency (USD, Euro, etc.). PPC has nearly double the market cap of NVC, and NVC seems to be in a bubble for now (it was a bit lower in the past months).

Thank you all for your posts, very informative indeed.

This is good information for new people to know, or people trying to learn about altcoins. I vote to Sticky

done :slight_smile:

Thank you for the informative posts in this thread. I have wanted to know this information for a while now but can be hard to find

Personally, I have holdings in both PPC and NVC, with more in PPC. At first, I also thought NVC was untrustworthy, but then I spent a good 3-4 hours reading the discussions between the creator and the community. Although the creator comes off a little cocky, he does seem to be pretty knowledgeable with crypto-work and is very active in developing the coin further. Also, I think he admits to the mistake of pre-mining the coins and giving them to BTC-e, and since then BTC-e has destroyed a majority of the coins (this is proven, search on bitcointalk.org). I see both PPC & NVC go hand in hand. If one succeeds (i.e., if POS succeeds), then the other will succeed, too. I think it gets bad press, and in my opinion, this is just an opportunity to buy the coin at its all-time lows. If PPC rises dramatically in value, I would think so would NVC.

One comment just ignoring the premine controversyā€¦

Iā€™m going to give the devs of NVC the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a sincere attempt to tweak a currency. That said, I had a small discussion with an advocate the other day, and it is convoluted.

You mint through proof of stake blocks, but the block size is dependent on a scaling difficulty level and the number of other people minting. The advocate said that they had made 100% (!) APR on their proof of stake minting so far. I thought this was crazy, but they further pointed out that thereā€™s a max coin reward and some other features to limit maximum payout. They felt that PPCā€™s system was flawed because the rate at which high coin balances minted was frequent enough to be treated statistically (as an investment), while small accounts would be taking a risk that they wouldnā€™t mint anything. (this is an issue that might have merit) Nevertheless, a solution where an account that doubles itself because other people donā€™t bother to mint or have it on exchanges seems overkill.

More importantly, as I said, itā€™s confusing. If I owned NVC, Iā€™d have no idea what to expect from the minting without a lot of analysis. I donā€™t think thatā€™s a recipe for a coin people trust as an investment or currency vehicle.

Anyone please correct me if I got it wrong.

Any guy can guide me to purchase PPC using Perfectmoney?

Thatā€™s interesting that BTC-e got free NVC for including it on their exchange. Maybe Kraken got free Ripples and thatā€™s why they exchange that. I didnā€™t even know about ripples until I opened an account with Kraken, so it annoyed me that they have more obscure currency but not our favorite, Peercoin. Then again I also got some free Ripples just for sending money to a Ripple gateway, and the Ripple model is to give away a certain amount of Ripples, so free Ripples is not so bad. And Kraken does not have NVC or other controversial coins (well, other than Ripples which I know is a bit controversial).

I think distribution of ā€œpre-minedā€ coins will always make them somewhat controversial, which is why I prefer Peercoin.

About speed of confirmation for PPC vs NVC: I think that is more of an issue for Peercoin during the stage when most new coins are mined via POW, but less of an issue once most new coins are generated via POS (but not entirely sure; I think each confirmation is at least 10 min). I also think Primecoin was developed in part to complement PPC for when speed is important, but most of the time 10 min (or more for multiple confirmations) really does not matter (online purchases, transferring coins between exchanges and local wallets).

I was depressed when i found out peercoin uses SHA-256, because that means Iā€™m even more behind than i thought. however Iā€™m going to buy a couple of usb miners for peercoin.

but i might concentrate on primecoin mining now as itā€™s useful and i actually have a shot at making something. if Novacoin is scrypt, i gotta admit i find that appealing.

but iā€™m definitely going to buy and hold peercoin, i do like the minting feature, whatever happens these are exciting times.

Peercoin is really focused on security. That is why it has the speed that it does, and uses SHA-256.