Potential use in microfinance?

Would Peershares be useful for financing businesses in developing countries in a similar way as microfinance? (except with equity instead of credit). I saw there is a service that that lets you exchange Bitcoins with M-Pesa in countries like Kenya: http://www.africatelecomit.com/kipochi-launches-africas-first-bitcoin-wallet-with-mpesa-integration

If a similar service was developed for Peercoin, people in Kenya etc. could raise money for their business with Peershares from people all over the world. Then they could convert the money to M-Pesa for daily use. How feasible is this?

Peershares scale well all the way to the top end of the economic scale, able to effectively service the needs of the most valuable organizations. However, they do not scale down to the very bottom end of the economic scale effectively. The main constraint that will exclude extremely small implementations is that the issuer should run two stable nodes that other nodes can connect to at all times.

Businesses looking to raise less than $10.000 USD are likely to find another solution better suited to their needs, such as Counterparty.

I have been mindful of the microfinancing needs of developing countries and it is possible that my team’s work will have something important to offer those who seek microfinancing, but in a completely different way than you are thinking of. Time will tell. It is not yet clear what will occur, so I will refrain from saying more at this time.

Since these nodes for small businesses are probably not busy, such nodes can share costs by being hosted on two central servers. To go a step fiurther, how about a peershares cloud that create infrastructure for peershares companies on-demand?

If people are comfortable with (initial) centralization, it’s certainly a possibility. I can think of a number of cases where that would be advantageous, and it is something that I’ve considered as an extension to the core Peershares code.

Since these nodes for small businesses are probably not busy, such nodes can share costs by being hosted on two central servers. To go a step fiurther, how about a peershares cloud that create infrastructure for peershares companies on-demand?[/quote]

It is possible to lower costs and barriers to entry in the way you have described, but it requires trust and centralization. The trade off may meet the needs of some tiny businesses. Also, the trust required may be reduced as we evolve toward using separate minting and transfer keys in PoS systems.

Investing most businesses involves trust and centralization. Most businesses have a centralized physical and organization structure. If the companies were to rely on the power company to provide electricity, why not a peershares service provider to thelp with their peershares network? If there are multiple commercial Peershares service providers, and the seed/central nodes (with the same domain name) can be moved around, the centralization is only nominal.

I’m, personally, not against it, because I can see the benefits. It would require a lot of thought to make it stable, secure, and scalable, but it’s definitely a worth-while extension that could be considered.