Poloniex Delisting, Legal Risks Memo & Exchange Expansion Plans

I appreciate the responses and am trying to put in context the historical extenuating circumstances. I am digesting the proposal. Now I understand why my expectations on a 1% return were never realized. A guaranteed rate adjusted for network minting participation that started at 5 but went to 1 as the network strengthened sounds like a measured step forward in the right direction. I understand why the reward payout routine has to go back 50k transactions or so to calculate the network adjusted amount. Has anyone benchmarked how much additional processing that actually imposes on a block? I am completely out of my league when it comes to considering specific attack vectors and mitigating them. Will try to understand them better. Thanks again.

2 Likes

I think another thing to consider is the 30 day wait that must occur before held coins can mint. That is in my opinion way too long. It discourages liquidity in the exchanges and forces people to choose whether to try to play the coin on the exchanges or only to hold. More often than not, I held back making strategic moves because I knew I would have to wait another 30 days to mint again if I did. Compared to the 3 day settlement on Wall Street, that’s just pure torture. :slight_smile:

Some of our devs have given it some thought and the additional burden on nodes was considered trivial, as the nAnnualPoSRewards sum can be added up as the blocks are indexed during the initial startup, and simply appended to with each block. I appreciate your looking through it.

As for the 30 day wait, that is also a critical network parameter and was chosen for security purposes. It is best to have several outputs so that in case you want to transact with your minting coins you won’t lose all your coin days accrued, as well as thinking about keeping some liquidity in a non-minting account for active trading. There is also a 3 day lock period after minting, so active trading with minting coins is actually discouraged by design.

understood- that’s good advice. again, my strategic misjudgments were rooted in having inaccurate expectations on the minting.

Minting big outputs will result in those outputs being split automatically by the client. However, if you aren’t very aware of the intricacies, it is true that someone can easily end up burning coin days by holding big outputs for less than 30 days when they might not necessarily need to.