Poll: What is size of your SD card

I need your feedback on this, please spread the word.
Thank you.

with prices go down every day, 64-128gb can be affortable if needed :slight_smile:
i guess the poll has someting to do with peerbox,no?
never mind, stupid question ;D

8 GB

8 GB ftw

The reason behind it: MacOS X installer requires SD cards to be 8 GB min. Windows 8 installer is 4 GB min (but will probably be 8 GB for the next version).

Seeing results of this poll I will now see 8GB SD Cards as norm.

Future Peerbox releases, starting with v0.25 will be tailored to fit 8GB card. Size of future Peerbox images will remain the same as it was, so the card will mostly be empty space.

If you disagree, please state why.

Peerchemist, if you do this people who have inferior SD card size (15% of them) won’t be able to install Peerbox. If you want Peerbox to become widely accepted and used you shouldn’t restrict your users for (what I think) is an unreasonable choice as Peerbox can run very well on a 2GB SD Card :-/. I would rather recommend you to use an automated script that resizes the partition after the first boot (or after the first user login).

This guide should provide all the information you need to create your script on Arch Linux: https://raspberry-hosting.com/en/faq/cras-quis-nibh (How to expand Arch Linux root partition)

Another solution would be to provide different pre-sized images (i.e. 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc.). That’s the lazy solution, but at least you won’t loose 15% of your beloved users…

[quote=“Thireus, post:6, topic:3146”]Peerchemist, if you do this people who have inferior SD card size (15% of them) won’t be able to install Peerbox. If you want Peerbox to become widely accepted and used you shouldn’t restrict your users for (what I think) is an unreasonable choice as Peerbox can run very well on a 2GB SD Card :-/. I would rather recommend you to use an automated script that resizes the partition after the first boot (or after the first user login).

This guide should provide all the information you need to create your script on Arch Linux: https://raspberry-hosting.com/en/faq/cras-quis-nibh (How to expand Arch Linux root partition)

Another solution would be to provide different pre-sized images (i.e. 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc.). That’s the lazy solution, but at least you won’t loose 15% of your beloved users…[/quote]

I consider this as minor problem, since most of the cards are 8GB or more. And since SD cards are really popular I’m sure those users can find them. Ok, maybe I do need more feedback on this.

Next Peerbox release will feature automatic resize, but with far more elegant solution than the one you linked.
Why I want to change to bigger SD card as a base is actually a practical reason. I ran out of 2GB cards. They are old and the tear is so big now that they barely work. I really rape them during the development process, so they die eventually.

Modern, 8GB cards are more robust and last longer. And I can easily buy new one when old one dies. It is hard to find 2Gb card in 2015.

So, to ease my development process it is easiest to just work on 8GB card. Other solution is to shrink the 8GB cards to 2GB before shipping them, which naturally takes time and complicates the process as another round of testing is needed (I can never be sure that shrinking them did not mess something up).

I agree with you, I also personally work with 8GB SD Cards. But many users don’t have or won’t buy a 8 GB SD card just because they need it for Peerbox as Peerbox CAN be run on smaller SD cards. In my opinion this is forcing people to buy a top-end SD Card for unjustified reason (and people won’t like that).

But I think there was a misunderstanding somewhere. I thought you’d force people to copy 8GB-sized images on SD Cards, which would prevent them to use lower sized SD Cards. I’m glad you have a solution for this, is this anything to do with “dd” (i.e. Fill the remaining space with 0 after the copy)? :slight_smile:

[quote=“Thireus, post:8, topic:3146”]I agree with you, I also personally work with 8GB SD Cards. But many users don’t have or won’t buy a 8 GB SD card just because they need it for Peerbox as Peerbox CAN be run on smaller SD cards. In my opinion this is forcing people to buy a top-end SD Card for unjustified reason (and people won’t like that).

But I think there was a misunderstanding somewhere. I thought you’d force people to copy 8GB-sized images on SD Cards, which would prevent them to use lower sized SD Cards. I’m glad you have a solution for this, is this anything to do with “dd” (i.e. Fill the remaining space with 0 after the copy)? :)[/quote]

If I copy Peerbox installation from 8GB card and make .img from it than it must be dd copied to 8GB card, it does not matter if the actual used space is about 1GB.

8GB card cant be considered high-end as you say, they are old tech now. And cost about 10$.
Which is not bad considering that you get some cool features like tearing protection.

That I understand.

To get straight to the point: Are you going to make this 8GB requirement mandatory? Because you’re stating:

So if there will be an automatic resize feature, why are we talking about restricting people to 8GB and up?

Yes, automated resizing feature will grow the filesystem from 2GB to max size. If I decide to stay on 2GB base.

If I move to 8GB automatic resize will fill it up to max size, which is useful again since I see people who use 32GB or more.

What is your reason to force people using a minimum size of 8GB?

I’d rather suggest to stay on a 2GB basis. Your automated resizing feature will do the job for the bigger-sized SD cards.

Why I want to change to bigger SD card as a base is actually a practical reason. I ran out of 2GB cards. They are old and the tear is so big now that they barely work. I really rape them during the development process, so they die eventually.

Modern, 8GB cards are more robust and last longer. And I can easily buy new one when old one dies. It is hard to find 2Gb card in 2015.

[quote=“peerchemist, post:13, topic:3146”]

[/quote]

But… Why don’t you create a 2GB partition table on that 8GB??? So that you can work on a 8GB SD card of your choice while restricting the available space to 2GB!

Ugh! Ok

8Gb