Perfect time to get new people on board? Aimed marketing campaign

“A message from crypto-enthusiast community to another crypto-enthusiast community.”

I guess you have noticed quick decline of LTC in few past days, which is nothing but consequence of slow “bleeding out” ever since ASIC’s got into scrypt mining. What LTC promised to people is decentralization, and they told people that they would always be able to mine on their GPUs and always participate in the network in meaningful way. Like all cryptos that use PoW this promise has proved impossible to fulfil, proving once again that PoW is a flawed concept.

Now, when there are hordes of disappointed people left bag-holding LTC is perfect time for PPC to step in and prove it is second best.

What PPC can offer to common LTC enthusiast (not whale) is right to participate on the network without having to invest into expensive ASIC’s. This is chance for PPC community to tell LTC community that we were right.
We do not need ASIC’s, we only need Peercoins to participate. And we can participate in secure and cheap way, for example Raspberry Pi + Peerbox and soon we will have cold-locked minting.
This benefits are starting to show, as we have PoS difficulty over 17. Which is larger than sum of next 10 PoS coins.

What Peercoin also offers is stable backbone for Peershares, and we need damn fine text to explain what Peershares is and how they enable easy creation of DAC. Then mention Nu as successful example.

It should also say that we are based on original Satoshi client, and stay close to upstream BTC (Unlike NXT or BitShares).

I propose marketing strike @LTC community.
But be careful, make sure we have delivered all the explanations to avoid looking as a scam. To this folks we must approach humbly, and be sure to note this blockchain is 2 years old and never had any problems, we have large participation in minting, active development (list major projects), no premine, etc.
We have proven PoS works (and yes, admit checkpoints but we are phasing that out) and now we need to spread it.

This project should be completed and launched while BTC is under 300$ and LTC under 2$. If possible during next week.

Let’s do it?

It’s actually almost 2 and a half years old now. That’s a long record and I think we should stress that. Also, something you didn’t mention is Sunny, who always provides weekly updates and is focused on continuing development, even in the face of price devaluations.

Yes, it was just quick message I did not check exact details.
Sure, Sunny must be mentioned along with constant innovation but avoiding “trends” and hype.

This should be done. But other than starting this post there is little I can do. I’m quite busy at the moment.
So, community please use this chance and do it.

I’d like to offer those who begin to understand that LTC might have failed an alternative.
It would be even better to find people amongst the LTC community who aren’t only looking for ways to save what is left form their LTC value by moving it to something different, but people who want to contribute, participate in the community by discussing, developing, marketing.

I think I need to think a little bit about that before I can write a detailed comment, because I find it important not to sound like a smart-arse to those who might have lost not only money, but faith, perspective and a dream about improvements over Bitcoin.

Here you go:

If this is going to have any chance of not being deleted immediately, it needs to be a message that comes from the entire Peercoin community and not just one random individual. I can see them deleting a thread coming from one person promoting their favorite coin, but there might be a chance they won’t if it is being posted by a representative on behalf of the entire Peercoin community. We would need people here to approve of it though, or it wouldn’t be an official representation. If they delete a thread like this, then they’re basically shutting down talks between both of our communities. Even Dogecoin and Litecoin were able to have communication with each other when it came to that merged mining issue a while back. Does anybody think I’m correct in this or no?

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:6, topic:3237”][…]
I can see them deleting a thread coming from one person promoting their favorite coin, but there might be a chance they won’t if it is being posted by a representative on behalf of the entire Peercoin community.
[…][/quote]

Why should that give the author any authority the targeted community should respect?
I think it is more a matter of how the information is presented.
The information needs to target the comprehension rather than the feelings.
I’m not sure how it could be done, but I doubt that sending a messenger presenting him/herself as a representative would do the trick.
If we assume that a reasonable amount of Litecoiners ended there because of reason, because they found a solution for the arms race of Bitcoin mining, the centralization of Bitcoin mining, then they might be reached on such a base.
But unless we know what makes or made them Litecoin believers we don’t know where to start. We can only try.
This needs to be done in a sensitive way. There are people who might be hurt by the massive price decline, by the ASIC miners, by so many things.
It mustn’t sound like turning a knife in the wound.

[quote=“masterOfDisaster, post:7, topic:3237”]This needs to be done in a sensitive way. There are people who might be hurt by the massive price decline, by the ASIC miners, by so many things.
It mustn’t sound like turning a knife in the wound.[/quote]

We need to say that again, consider it a re-tweet:

This needs to be done in a sensitive way. There are people who might be hurt by the massive price decline, by the ASIC miners, by so many things.
It mustn’t sound like turning a knife in the wound.

Direct marketing to another coin’s community is incredibly taboo.

Most of us don’t want to be direct marketed by other coins either. Every one believes their capable of their own research and don’t need to be tapped on the shoulder and given a sales pitch.

What we need to do, is be “attractive”. Some what like what a girl does when she wants to be noticed. Silly comparison, but put the imagery in your mind.

She walks into the crowded room, (think low cut top, short skirt, etc), and says nothing to no one. Heads turn without her doing any thing other than being in the room.

Now let’s think of some thing similar, but from a coin’s perspective. How can we be “attractive” to litecoin holders in a silent and innocent way?

I think we need to do some thing that grabs attention, and some one holding litecoin and getting frustrated with it, looks over here, and goes, oh, Peercoin. I forgot about that… Let me buy some and start following it.

Here’s an idea.

Peercoin’s community builds a stand-alone crypto utility.

All of you from DOS days, and Windows 98 days might remember the fun we all had installing different disk utilities. They did things that were neat and cool to speed up our computers.

Many people have multiple wallets on their computers. This utility program get installed (binary and source versions available)

When they run it, it does a check and tells them:

a) File sizes of all wallets it’s programmed to look for

b) It needs no keys. It touches no files

c) It looks at the last date the blk0001.dat file or whatever it is called was lasted modified.

So you get a report like this:

Peercoin found: 400 megs, last modified date: Jan 11, 2015

Litecoin found: 284893983938 megs, last modified date: Jan 11, 2015

Worldcoin found: 3423 megs, last modified date: June 2, 2013

Someone might go, oh heck, I didn’t even realize I had Worldcoin still installed. 2013 really? I wonder if I have any in there.

…that sort of thing. But we brand it as a Peercoin “free utility”, and it also shows off how small Peercoin’s blockchain is…

Programmers who see the merit in this (you don’t have to volunteer), can aritculate a better design.

But what you’re basically doing is giving a freebie utility. That every one can get a benefit from, and at the same time, it shows off one of Peercoin’s key features (small wallet size).

MoD, you’re absolutely right. Presentation and content is key here. What I suggested above is mainly only to prevent them from ignoring or immediately deleting it without even reading it first. It would apply to the title, for example: “An Open Letter to Litecoin Holders From the Peercoin Community”. This way they immediately know that an entire community took the time to write this to them and that it’s not just someone’s forum spam or opportunity to pump a coin. If a title like this helped draw in some people, then it’s up to the content to do the rest. Unless anyone has a better suggestion for a title.

@peerchemist
“This benefits are starting to show, as we have PoS difficulty over 17. Which is larger than sum of next 10 PoS coins.”

Can you elaborate on this?

the cold minting would be the attractive girl :stuck_out_tongue:
but this would take time to be tested.
also minting with android and ios would have an impact
and also android and ios games that would pay the players in ppc!

[quote=“seki, post:13, topic:3237”]the cold minting would be the attractive girl :stuck_out_tongue:
and also android and ios games that would pay the players in ppc![/quote]

Android or iOS minting should not ever come to life as it is insecure and impractical. And brings nothing new or good to the table.

[quote=“masterOfDisaster, post:4, topic:3237”]I’d like to offer those who begin to understand that LTC might have failed an alternative.
It would be even better to find people amongst the LTC community who aren’t only looking for ways to save what is left form their LTC value by moving it to something different, but people who want to contribute, participate in the community by discussing, developing, marketing.[/quote]

This should be the key; “but people who want to contribute, participate in the community by discussing, developing, marketing.

I find it important not to sound like a smart-arse to those who might have lost not only money, but faith, perspective and a dream about improvements over Bitcoin.

Yes, and offer PPC as alternative where dreams still can be chased and voices of community heard.

@DigiX - that video is too generic, and aims for different public. LTC folks dont want to hear about blockchain, as they know what blockchain is. We need something specific.

@ppcman - you have found a clue with this girl analogy, but that disk utility is not what we want. Small blockchain size is not best thing about PPC, it is just a consequence of intelligent design. We need so think of something else.

@Sentinel - “An Open Letter to Litecoin Holders From the Peercoin Community”
Sounds nice, yes. But I would not dare to call those people “holders” as it implicates “bagholding” which is quite negative term. They should be approached with more neutral tone.

[quote=“crypto_coiner, post:12, topic:3237”]@peerchemist
“This benefits are starting to show, as we have PoS difficulty over 17. Which is larger than sum of next 10 PoS coins.”

Can you elaborate on this?[/quote]

Do you mint? Have you seen surge of PoS difficulty in last two months? Do you know of any other PoS coins? If not, install a client and check difficulty. I have two other PoS coins wallets installed and for one PoS difficulty is about 0.8 - 1 and other is @ 0.0325. So, sum of 10 coins like this would still be lower than PoS difficulty of Peercoin (I guess, if diff is calculated in same way).
I would need someone to check PoS difficulty of Blackcoin, I’m lazy to sync that huge blockchain.

P.S.

Some other stuff I forgot to mention; Peer4commit.

[quote=“seki, post:13, topic:3237”]the cold minting would be the attractive girl :stuck_out_tongue:
and also android and ios games that would pay the players in ppc![/quote]

People are very confused about minting. Minting is not a matter of equipment but a matter of being connected to the network during a certain period of time and holding a sufficient amount of coins. Also, I’m not sure they realize that a big quantity of coinage (and thus coins) is required to have a decent minting probability. You cannot mint with 1 Peercoin, you need at least 5K PPC at the current difficulty to have a decent minting probability. What they are also certainly confused about is the 1% per year, which makes them think that on a daily basis they earn a certain amount of this % which is of course not true.

At the current difficulty you need to accumulate at least 40.000 coindays to have a decent luck to mint a single PoS block within a decent period (few days). This coinage accumulation is also capped after 90 days (you stop accumulating coinage after 90 days) cf. http://poscalculator.peercointalk.org/. For example, with 1 Peercoin, you can only accumulate a maximum of 1x90 days = 90 coindays which provides a 2.31% probability within a year to mint a PoS block at the current difficulty to earn 0.01 PPC (1%), which only applies if you stay constantly connected, synced and wallet unlocked with the Peercoin network over an entire year.

The minting process is:

1. Receive a big transaction in your wallet, i.e. 10.000 PPC.

2. Don’t touch those coins for 30 days (which means don’t spend them).

3. After 30 days you start earning coindays which represent “how old are your coins” or “how old is this untouched transaction”. 1 coinday = 1 day x 1 Peercoin. So if you own 3 Peercoins in a same and unique incoming transaction that you kept for 32 days, it will become: 6 coindays = 2 days x 3 Peercoins.

4. Once you start accumulating coinage and thus coindays you are among all the other people who are also accumulating coindays and quietly waiting to mint a PoS block with their coinage. You can then “unlock your wallet” and start “minting” (in other terms just wait… to get lucky). In this big lottery which is PoS the people who have more coinday (coinage) are the ones who will have more luck to generate a new PoS block.

Example: This guy P8tx5ggfB6T873N4ubwSnTCZxXGEX1Nf9E owns 550K PPC, and groups his coins in transactions containing ~10K coins each. By strategically creating those transactions with a timeshift of 1h, he’s thus minting a new PoS block every ~45min (because with 10K coins it’s just that easy to mint new PoS blocks: it takes about 40 days at the current difficulty).

After 90 days of coinage accumulation, your transaction stops earning coinage (defined by the protocol) and you get stuck with your current minting probability, which as we’ve seen depends of the network PoS difficulty correlated with your transaction’s coinage.

1. Once you mint a PoS block, you have to wait 3-5 days for your block (and thus reward) to be verified. During this period you cannot spend your coins (the ones you have used + the reward), they are “locked”.

2. Once the PoS block you created has been verified, your transaction automatically splits in two new transactions which also contain your PoS reward. And your coinage is reset to 0.

3. And with these two new transactions you can start the process again: back to stage 1.

[quote=“peerchemist, post:14, topic:3237”]Do you mint? Have you seen surge of PoS difficulty in last two months? Do you know of any other PoS coins? If not, install a client and check difficulty. I have two other PoS coins wallets installed and for one PoS difficulty is about 0.8 - 1 and other is @ 0.0325. So, sum of 10 coins like this would still be lower than PoS difficulty of Peercoin (I guess, if diff is calculated in same way).
I would need someone to check PoS difficulty of Blackcoin, I’m lazy to sync that huge blockchain.[/quote]
Yes I mint -
One has to check if diff in other PoS is calculated the same way and adding them up to compare makes sense.

last bump

I agree with @ppcman here. If we want to do something we should get out more generic advertising on Bitcoin and Litecoin specific sites supported with a website providing information related to the message in the advertisement. Advertisement can be on Reddit, on exchanges, coinmarketcap etc.

The best you can do is posting a factual message in their altcoin section. Like Peercoin is now doing promotion/giveaway etc. Click here if you want to know more.