Peerunity - a wallet and client supporting both Peercoin and Peershares

I’d rather keep the version in sync with Peercoin version. We could for example build a 0.4.1 version instead of a 0.5. And maybe a 0.4.2 later.
When Peercoin 0.5 is released we build a 0.5.1 from it. Etc.

If we stay out of sync then I’d start with a 0.1.[/quote]
Like your proposal, makes it also easier to market. People may get confused otherwise despite the branding.

[quote=“Jordan Lee, post:58, topic:2203”]The time has come to close the period for the community to suggest Peerunity 0.5 release specifications. Additional specifications can still be proposed, but they will only be considered for the 0.6 and later releases.

The specifications accepted or under consideration for the 0.5 release are:

1. Rebranding: Accepted and funded by Peershares (no pull request yet)
  2. Menu based minting: Accepted and funded by Peershares (pull request by sigmike merged)
  3. Coin control: Under consideration
  4. createmultisig RPC: Under consideration

Negotiations regarding what coin control and createmultisig will cost and who will implement it are underway but not finalized. If you are willing to contribute development funds or code it please contact me. Let’s aim to finalize a decision to include or exclude coin control and createmultisig this Friday. A decision to include means finding a specific developer and funding if that developer requires payment.[/quote]
In case you didn’t notice but there is already 1300 PPC against the project on peer4commit. Might help with the funding.

I’d rather keep the version in sync with Peercoin version. We could for example build a 0.4.1 version instead of a 0.5. And maybe a 0.4.2 later.
When Peercoin 0.5 is released we build a 0.5.1 from it. Etc.

If we stay out of sync then I’d start with a 0.1.

I don’t know whether you’ve seen it, but glv2 made a pull request for coin control: Coin control (experimental) by glv2 · Pull Request #12 · Peerunity/Peerunity · GitHub
I haven’t reviewed it yet.[/quote]

Let’s label this first release 0.1 then.

I’m very pleased to see the pull request from glv2 for coin control! Although I haven’t reviewed it yet, we can conclude that coin control will be included in our first release. Only createmultisig is in question at this point.

Yes, that is impressive for a project that is a week old. Thank you to those who contributed. This means developers will get 13 PPC per commit right now. It will be useful particularly in the long term.

Yes, that is impressive for a project that is a week old. Thank you to those who contributed. This means developers will get 13 PPC per commit right now. It will be useful particularly in the long term.[/quote]
Well, it can be more (up to 5% or about 65 PPC) or less at discretion of the project owners. So it might pay off to have a charter on that, some projects already have those in place. Sigmike is probably best positioned for that, but I’m happy to provide suggestions if needed.

Proposal
Optional delegated stake/block signing

How it works:
Remote wallet logs into the Peerunity, expose supported pubkeys and waits for signing requests from Peerunity.

POIs:
SignCoinStake https://github.com/Peerunity/Peerunity/blob/master/src/wallet.cpp#L1386
SignBlock https://github.com/Peerunity/Peerunity/blob/master/src/main.cpp#L2091

Security:
Remote wallet on SignCoinStake request will sign only transactions with same keys on outputs as on inputs. SingBlock will require valid block structure( can it be surely distinguished from any valid tx structure?), it will calculate block hash on its side. No user interaction/verification needed for signing.

Application: minting wallets

• desktop minting wallets (separation layer, different environment/libraries than Peerunity)
  • arduino/beaglebone/other(possible closure in a safe) + intranet/VPS Peerunity
  • ? smart-card + gateway (are ECC smart cards available? can whole block be sent to SC in reasonable time?)

Yes, that is impressive for a project that is a week old. Thank you to those who contributed. This means developers will get 13 PPC per commit right now. It will be useful particularly in the long term.[/quote]
Well, it can be more (up to 5% or about 65 PPC) or less at discretion of the project owners. So it might pay off to have a charter on that, some projects already have those in place. Sigmike is probably best positioned for that, but I’m happy to provide suggestions if needed.[/quote]

Thank you for making me aware of that Cybnate. This makes Peer4Commit much more useful. I am working out the technical details with sigmike here (Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!) but plan on giving glv2 5% for each of his two pull requests for his coin control contribution, totaling 130 PPC.

I would like to do the same for the createmultisig feature, offering 10% of the fund via two commits awarded a 5% tip.

Can I get an estimate for how soon the graphics/logo files would have to be done and ready to include in the first version?

If the new files were available the middle of next week that would be perfect. Depending on how things progress with the other enhancements, delivering them after that may be increasingly problematic.

I could use some help recruiting someone to do the createmultisig pull request. This has already been implemented in other coins and spread around from coin to coin, so this is by no means groundbreaking work. By examining the repositories of other coins for the keyword createmultisig it should be possible to identify developers who have already made a similar commit in another repository and ask them to do it again for Peerunity. They will likely consider it simple and a great deal for 10% tip, which is going to be around 120 PPC.

Anybody up to researching this and approaching the relevant developers?

I fear people might be irritated at me for not doing more myself. However, I am managing three repositories (Peerunity, Peershares and our very important Peershares implementation) and attending to everything that needs to be done is quite a challenge. Though Peerunity is the most visible project, I believe the Peershares template will benefit Peercoin holders more and our Peershares implementation will be even more beneficial to Peercoin holders. I am doing a lot of work that is not visible to most people right now.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been fortunate enough to view some of the other work that Jordan has been engaged with, and it’s remarkable how much is being accomplished outside the public realm.

So while I don’t think it needs to be said, the community should not be worried about Jordan’s work ethic and commitment to improving the Peercoin ecosystem. Bigger and brighter things are ahead.

Can I suggest raising an issue for this on repo and mentioning bounty? With that we can post links in a few forums and on social media. First come, first served, need to deliver within say 10 days otherwise next one gets the job. Need to show reference too. What about that?

Edit: just noticed that you added this to tipping policies on peer4commit.com. That is good to see, maybe even a better way of going about it, although I think they are complimentary.

Here is the createmultisig pull request I just placed: https://github.com/Peerunity/Peerunity/pull/15

I have given this absolutely zero testing so we will need to have preliminary testing done before merging it into master for further testing.

[quote=“Jordan Lee, post:58, topic:2203”]The time has come to close the period for the community to suggest Peerunity 0.5 release specifications. Additional specifications can still be proposed, but they will only be considered for the 0.6 and later releases.

The specifications accepted or under consideration for the 0.5 release are:

2. Menu based minting: Accepted and funded by Peershares (pull request by sigmike merged)
  3. Coin control: Under consideration
  4. createmultisig RPC: Under consideration

Negotiations regarding what coin control and createmultisig will cost and who will implement it are underway but not finalized. If you are willing to contribute development funds or code it please contact me. Let’s aim to finalize a decision to include or exclude coin control and createmultisig this Friday. A decision to include means finding a specific developer and funding if that developer requires payment.[/quote]

Here is a happy update to the post quoted:

The specifications accepted for the 0.1 release are:

3. Coin control: Accepted and funded by Peer4Commit donation @ 130 PPC (pull request submitted by glv2)
  4. createmultisig RPC: Accepted (pull request submitted by Jordan Lee)

The createmultisig RPC I just submitted has absolutely zero testing. If someone will test it and resubmit the pull request with two indentation anomalies fixed and any fixes your testing may indicate are needed I will merge your pull request instead of mine and give you a 5% tip [edit: about 60 PPC].

In addition to the above items our first release includes a half dozen pull requests brought in from PPCoin and an updated French translation.

All that remains is the easiest task, rebranding. This will be provided by the Peershares team very soon. I believe Sentinelrv is going to provide icons for the rebranding which are still outstanding. Except for this simple and straightforward item, all that remains to be done is testing. We are very close to being code complete.

Superb job, Jordan.

Let’s see if that two sentences go well :wink:

If you would like to work on our highly productive Peershares implementation team as a C++ developer, we are hiring part time or full time. Compensation is $60 to $90 per hour depending on experience.

We are just about to announce details on a QA position opening up as well.

You may occasionally work on Peerunity in these positions.

[edit: I prefer to be contacted about these opportunities via the Bitmessage address in my signature but a private message here or email at jlee at vistomail dot com will also work]

Hi everyone, I’ve been a lurker for awhile mainly but PPC is actually my favorite cryptocoin. I did some designs today for peerunity, a few variations are included below.

Let me know what you think, let’s make this shine right. :slight_smile:

[quote=“BabyBonobo, post:77, topic:2203”]Hi everyone, I’ve been a lurker for awhile mainly but PPC is actually my favorite cryptocoin. I did some designs today for peerunity, a few variations are included below.

Let me know what you think, let’s make this shine right. :)[/quote]

Nice. I like it.

While we still have the rebranding to code (which is simple and will be done very soon by the Peershares team), we currently have three significant features which require testing. For the most part, to make additional progress toward release, we need testing performed on the following:

1. Menu based minting: this is already merged into master and can be tested by building the source here: https://github.com/Peerunity/Peerunity
  2. Coin control: This pull request by glv looks good from my brief review but we should test it before merging it into master. It can be built here: https://github.com/glv2/peercoin/branches/coin-control
  3. createmultisig: this improves the partial support we now have for multi signature transactions and elevates it to full support. It can be built here: https://github.com/JordanLeePeershares/Peerunity-createmultisig/branches/master

So, we need someone to build these and then have them tested individually. Anyone who tests them should add notes to the pull requests saying what they have done and the results they received. Anyone want to step up and volunteer to test one of these features? I’ll remind people the Peershares team has a telecommuting QA Engineer position open paying $30 to $50 an hour and we have a habit of hiring people within the community who have proven their enthusiasm and skills within the community :wink:

Besides just asking for volunteers, I would like to float an option we have to pay for testing. Generous donors have given Peerunity about 1100 PPC which is still not committed to anything specific. I am considering paying for testing with it, paying testers that publicly document what they have done an hourly rate. We could have them commit a document describing the tests they have performed, and give them an appropriate tip. While I think it is the best use of funds as it will probably pay for about the amount of testing we need to finalize our first release, I’m concerned donors may have wished that it be reserved for true development commits over a longer time frame, so I am inviting comment on the plan. It stretches the way Peer4Commit is used, but I think it does so in a way that will produce good value for the donors within the scope of the project they donated to. Please comment on whether you think this is appropriate and optimal.

If someone can build the coin control one and send me some testnet coins I can test it as much I haved used it in YAC wallet. Be warned I have never formally tested software as a tester. For my work I hire a test manager to do it :wink: As such I don’t demand payment for what I do.

Say since the source code is public why don’t we have an alpha rc and let everyone who is interested be an early tester ? It’s not a substitution for a fully commited professional tester but it has its advantage.