Peerunity - a wallet and client supporting both Peercoin and Peershares

This is an awesome development, good job! I was quite disappointed by the Peercoin official wallet, the French translation was incomplete and it looks like very basic.

This will give a much better impression of the state of Peercoin development :slight_smile:

EnvoyƩ de mon C6603 en utilisant Tapatalk

Very good news. We really need a more easy-to-use wallet.

A little leaf in the lower-right corner, perhaps? Although that would be only for Peercoin, not Peershare.

[quote=ā€œd5000, post:22, topic:2203ā€]Very good news. We really need a more easy-to-use wallet.

A little leaf in the lower-right corner, perhaps? Although that would be only for Peercoin, not Peershare.[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of an entire theme that was designed for the program. All that gray with boring looking buttons just looks dull to me.

Also, maybe you havenā€™t seen the Peershares logo, but it does incorporate the leaf because itā€™s supported by the Peercoin network and is energy efficient. Check out my logo thread on the Peershares board. Everything is in there for download.

[quote=ā€œSentinelrv, post:23, topic:2203ā€][quote=ā€œd5000, post:22, topic:2203ā€]Very good news. We really need a more easy-to-use wallet.

A little leaf in the lower-right corner, perhaps? Although that would be only for Peercoin, not Peershare.[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of an entire theme that was designed for the program. All that gray with boring looking buttons just looks dull to me.

Also, maybe you havenā€™t seen the Peershares logo, but it does incorporate the leaf because itā€™s supported by the Peercoin network and is energy efficient. Check out my logo thread on the Peershares board. Everything is in there for download.[/quote]

I think thatā€™s a great idea.

This is Mastercoinā€™s wallet, for example:

I wholeheartedly agree that the client would benefit from a major facelift beyond the simple re-branding already planned for the first release. I noticed you successfully funded the production of Peercoin videos recently. My guess is the Peercoin community would also be willing to fund a major facelift of the client. If you gathered funds that became a bounty we could ask developers to place pull requests with their competing client facelifts. A community vote could be held on the public submissions and a winner chosen. I would merge such a pull request, subject to review and any necessary revisions. What do you think?

Iā€™ve created a topic where Iā€™m posting photos of pages out of my sketchbooks documenting my random notes and sketches as I think about what could really differentiate the PeerUnity client.

I completely agree that enabling Peercoin with a usable and great looking wallet client is a major priority.

Does someone know how to add this project to https://www.transifex.com/?

Bitcoin currently run translations through this site, and doing translations are super easy. Iā€™m a total GitHub noob, so I canā€™t help much with this, but I will do the Norwegian translation when Transifex is up and running.

[quote=ā€œBen, post:26, topic:2203ā€]Iā€™ve created a topic where Iā€™m posting photos of pages out of my sketchbooks documenting my random notes and sketches as I think about what could really differentiate the PeerUnity client.

I completely agree that enabling Peercoin with a usable and great looking wallet client is a major priority.[/quote]

Ben is beginning to think beyond the next release or two to how this client (as well as a thin client) should be optimally architected for the long term. This is a discussion we need to have because I donā€™t have the answers worked out. I architected the Peershares template as well as our teamā€™s as yet unveiled extension of Peershares with modest levels of input from others. Where the combined Peercoin and Peershares client has not been an urgent need I really only have a few basic outlines drawn out about how to go about it. It is possible that closer examination could demonstrate that even those basic outlines arenā€™t optimal.

So please jump over to the thread Ben has referenced to discuss your thoughts on how to optimize the architecture of this client as it moves to supporting multiple Peershares and wallets.

Whoa, lovely, TY!!!

[quote=ā€œsandakersmann, post:27, topic:2203ā€]Does someone know how to add this project to https://www.transifex.com/?

Bitcoin currently run translations through this site, and doing translations are super easy. Iā€™m a total GitHub noob, so I canā€™t help much with this, but I will do the Norwegian translation when Transifex is up and running.[/quote]

Iā€™ve set up a Transifex account for the PeerUnity project, but Iā€™ll have to spend a little bit of time getting acquainted with how it all works. It seems like a pretty cool site, and because weā€™re an open-source project, from what I can tell, it should be free.

Sounds good, Ben :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œBen, post:30, topic:2203ā€][quote=ā€œsandakersmann, post:27, topic:2203ā€]Does someone know how to add this project to https://www.transifex.com/?

Bitcoin currently run translations through this site, and doing translations are super easy. Iā€™m a total GitHub noob, so I canā€™t help much with this, but I will do the Norwegian translation when Transifex is up and running.[/quote]

Iā€™ve set up a Transifex account for the PeerUnity project, but Iā€™ll have to spend a little bit of time getting acquainted with how it all works. It seems like a pretty cool site, and because weā€™re an open-source project, from what I can tell, it should be free.[/quote]

Translations are important and we will find a way to make it practical for people with the appropriate language skills to contribute.

I looked into this just a bit and what I noticed was that bitcoin.org, rather than bitcoin the client seems to be using Transifex. It may still be possible to use (I donā€™t know), but you wonā€™t be able to just copy the bitcoin solution. Here is a thread about its using Transifex for bitcoin.org: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=349633.0

It may turn out more practical to have translators place pull requests on GitHub. It is possible to do the translations all within the GitHub web interface. I have given a detailed explanation of how to do so here:

I would like someone to try it out and let me know how I can change the instructions to make it easier. Maybe that is the right place to have a discussion about the viability of using Transifex as well.

I would like someone to try it out and let me know how I can change the instructions to make it easier. Maybe that is the right place to have a discussion about the viability of using Transifex as well.

Agreed. From the cursory investigation that Iā€™ve done in the tool, it looks like itā€™s useful for teams that are working against the same source version, rather than on local branches and then pushing up those changes. What it may be really useful for in the future is non-version controlled content (wiki pages, marketing content, etc.) that would be worth having in different languages.

In any case, weā€™ve got a Transifex account set up, so if it turns out to be a tool that we can put into use, weā€™re ready for it.

[quote=ā€œBen, post:33, topic:2203ā€]

Agreed. From the cursory investigation that Iā€™ve done in the tool, it looks like itā€™s useful for teams that are working against the same source version, rather than on local branches and then pushing up those changes. What it may be really useful for in the future is non-version controlled content (wiki pages, marketing content, etc.) that would be worth having in different languages.

In any case, weā€™ve got a Transifex account set up, so if it turns out to be a tool that we can put into use, weā€™re ready for it.[/quote]
Iā€™ve hit that same roadblock before when investigating the website translations. The only way to circumvent that is to separate the language files into a separate github project with the ā€˜localeā€™ files only. That would be reasonably safe. Once in a while you would commit the relevant locales to the master after inspection. Problem is that it takes someone to look after this, but it potentially does increase participation amongst non-coders. The linguists amongst us would love it, I think.

I managed to get the level of understanding that I could translate locales on Github myself, took me a few weeks to figure this out and Iā€™m still on a steep learning curve.

This is an excellent idea. Yacoin is a Peercoin fork, so this should be quite easy: just a matter of taking the relevant pull requests against Yacoin and placing them against Peerunity. Lack of coin control is one of two reasons I donā€™t yet pay other Peershares team members in Peercoins (I still use BTC).[/quote]

Once I have tried the coin control feature it almost became addictive. We would wonder how we have lived so long without it once we have it for Peercoin.

This is an excellent idea. Yacoin is a Peercoin fork, so this should be quite easy: just a matter of taking the relevant pull requests against Yacoin and placing them against Peerunity. Lack of coin control is one of two reasons I donā€™t yet pay other Peershares team members in Peercoins (I still use BTC).[/quote]

Once I have tried the coin control feature it almost became addictive. We would wonder how we have lived so long without it once we have it for Peercoin.[/quote]

It would be a big win for the Peercoin community if we could get coin control in the first release. I donā€™t think it will be very hard to do. Yacoin has done all the heavy lifting for us. I just briefly examined the relevant Yacoin pull requests and I didnā€™t see why they couldnā€™t be pulled directly into Peerunity with only a few obvious changes (such as changing a line with yacoind in it to ppcoind) and replacing some Yacoin icons with Peercoin icons already in our source. The 2 relevant pull requests are here:

Anyone willing to fork the Peerunity repository, merge the two pull requests into the forked repository, change the branding to ppcoin/Peercoin (donā€™t update the name of our executable to peercoind, that needs to stay ppcoind as I explain in issue #6) and then briefly test it while it is still in the forked repository?

There are just a few days of opportunity before we will lock down the features of the first release.

Jordan, what do you think about this? I had Lightning make it up. The i in the name was the perfect place to put the leaf. Let me know if you want him to make up the full set like usualā€¦

[quote=ā€œSentinelrv, post:37, topic:2203ā€]Jordan, what do you think about this? I had Lightning make it up. The i in the name was the perfect place to put the leaf. Let me know if you want him to make up the full set like usualā€¦

[/quote]

Because this is not a technical issue and Peerunity should be controlled by the community to the extent practical, I will let the community weigh in on this.

If weā€™re going to go with similar logos for each product (Peercoin, Peershares, Peerunity), then I think it would be a good idea to have a one-line small font slogan or description describing the product.

For instance, Peerunity just like you have it, and then some thing like:

ā€œAn advanced, community designed, Peercoin walletā€

ā€¦so it explains in 1 line, what it isā€¦ Because at a glance, you canā€™t tell what it is by the name or the logo itself if you are not familiar with it.

For instance, if you DID want people to know what it was at a glance, it would have some sort of ā€œwallet iconā€ as part of the logo.

(After Sentinelrvā€™s next post, I came back and added this to mine)

EDIT: I really didnā€™t realize that Peerunity was also going to include Peershares functionality. I was so excited about a community based wallet, I gapped thatā€¦ Thanks for the explanation. Would be nice if the logo for it indicated this fact somehow without needing an explanation.

Ok, so as we all know Peerunity will be a merged Peercoin/Peershares client. The Peercoin logo is gold and the Peershares logo is silver. Because Peerunity is only a merging of two different programs, I donā€™t think it should have a different colored logo. So the question I had was which color logo should be used for Peerunity, gold or silver? I felt Peercoin was the dominant program here, so I went with the gold logo and just changed the text to Peerunity. I think the silver should remain associated with the standalone Peershares client.