Peerunity - a wallet and client supporting both Peercoin and Peershares

[quote=“ppcman, post:39, topic:2203”]If we’re going to go with similar logos for each product (Peercoin, Peershares, Peerunity), then I think it would be a good idea to have a one-line small font slogan or description describing the product.

For instance, Peerunity just like you have it, and then some thing like:

“An advanced, community designed, Peercoin wallet”

…so it explains in 1 line, what it is… Because at a glance, you can’t tell what it is by the name or the logo itself if you are not familiar with it.

For instance, if you DID want people to know what it was at a glance, it would have some sort of “wallet icon” as part of the logo.[/quote]

Well, we already have a slogan for Peercoin, which is featured on all our social media accounts and the website. For Peershares, I have a thread here to come up with the slogan, but I don’t think we’ve reached consensus on anything yet…

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2401.0

I’m not sure about the Peerunity slogan. Should it mention both Peercoin and Peershares or at least both of their uses?

So the question I had was which color logo should be used for Peerunity, gold or silver?[/quote]

Fill the back ground of the letter P silver, leave the border and the letter itself gold. In a black and white picture it would be difficult to tell the color. So maybe silver stars scattered on gold background, meaning something stellar developed based on Peercoin, or diagnal hatches (parallel lines from bottom left to top right) on the background filled with color that is gradually changing from gold to silver.

So the question I had was which color logo should be used for Peerunity, gold or silver?[/quote]

Fill the back ground of the letter P silver, leave the border and the letter itself gold. In a black and white picture it would be difficult to tell the color. So maybe silver stars scattered on gold background, meaning something stellar developed based on Peercoin, or diagnal hatches (parallel lines from bottom left to top right) on the background filled with color that is gradually changing from gold to silver.[/quote]

I like the idea of combining the gold and silver logos to represent the merging of Peercoin and Peershares into Peerunity. It makes sense. I’ll have Lightning make me a version of this to see how it looks and I’ll post it when it’s done.

When peerunity is going to be released?

About the logo; in the future it might support more then “only” coin n shares. Who knows?! I’m no goodood at logos, just food for thought. Rebranding also always anan option later.

The specifications of the first release will be finalized in the next few days. The major specification in question is coin control, a wonderful feature that Yacoin (a Peercoin fork) has already implemented. I am still hoping a developer will step forward and volunteer to place the Yacoin coin control code in a Peerunity fork so we can test it and pull it in. I posted details about Yacoin’s coin control earlier in this thread.

If no additional specifications are added beyond coin control, coding should be complete within days after the specifications are locked down. Then a period of testing and refinement of the code will begin. How fast this goes depends on how much the community gets involved.

The specifications of the first release will be finalized in the next few days. The major specification in question is coin control, a wonderful feature that Yacoin (a Peercoin fork) has already implemented. I am still hoping a developer will step forward and volunteer to place the Yacoin coin control code in a Peerunity fork so we can test it and pull it in. I posted details about Yacoin’s coin control earlier in this thread.

If no additional specifications are added beyond coin control, coding should be complete within days after the specifications are locked down. Then a period of testing and refinement of the code will begin. How fast this goes depends on how much the community gets involved.[/quote]
I think we already can put a nice bounty on this one. If the Peerunity project maintainers are good with it. On peer4commit we already have a 1000PPC donation. Not sure how many commits this work is without merging commits. Need a developer to make an estimate here. But we can say that they can have 4 commits of 5% (50 PPC) = 200 PPC (around US$500) to complete this piece of work. What do you guys think. Too much? When ok with two or more of the project maintainers we just swarm it around tomorrow and see if someone bites.

Ben, Sigmike, Jordan, Sk? Your opinion please.

Edit: should be one-off only as we are all keen and it is urgent. Delivery (and tested) before say Friday midnight otherwise just 1x 5% (50 PPC) for the effort.
Edit2 : Meant to say peerunity maintainers (now changed )

Fill the back ground of the letter P silver, leave the border and the letter itself gold. In a black and white picture it would be difficult to tell the color. So maybe silver stars scattered on gold background, meaning something stellar developed based on Peercoin, or diagnal hatches (parallel lines from bottom left to top right) on the background filled with color that is gradually changing from gold to silver.[/quote]

So here is the version Lightning made for me. I’m not sure about this combined approach. What do you guys think? Does this make sense or should we just stick with the dominant logo, which is the completely gold Peercoin logo.

I like it, because it differs enough from the Peercoin log to make sure, it is something else.
And it is close enough to the Peercoin logo to make clear that they have a lot to do with each other.
So my conclusion is: [size=12pt]this logo is great![/size]

Need a developer to make an estimate here.[/quote]

It’s very hard to estimate. It depends how much the two projects have diverged and the complexity of the conflicts to resolve. But it should not be very hard. And if someone tries and is blocked he can still ask questions here or on GitHub.

@sentinelrv, logo is nice, hope someone gets this into that big blank space in the wallet. Would be great branding.

@sigmike, I don’t think there are many people capable and having the time to do this at short notice. Therefore my proposal of a fixed bounty (via peer4commit) and to advertise it so we might attract someone to do it. We might even trace the Yacoin guy who wrote the code and see if he’s interested.

BTW I have been a bit concerned by the fact that the Peerunity team pulled a couple of commits from the PPcoin project into the Peerunity project without any visible payment to the original developers. The PPcoin has 6000 PPC donated against it and I’m sure that attracted some of the developers to do some work and hope that they can get a proper share of that. We need to be a bit more clear as a community on how we deal with this. I don’t think we want to be seen as unreliable if it comes to paying out for developers’ contributions. We are in need of more competent developers to progress a whole lot of projects as per peer4commit. Just my thoughts.

romerun posted on reddit a couple days ago about whether Peerunity could support createmultisig.

The owner of a website called cryptoauction.com had said this:

We would love to support PPC, it has always been our hope to support it but the issue is that Peercoin has not activated the createmultisig RPC function. Even the new release 0.4.0 has not activated this, it has addmultisigaddress but this is not suitable as it stores all the multisig address keys in the wallet, createmultisig doesn't store any private keys in the wallet. I have been in contact with Peercoin dev group to let them know about this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/22xiwc/ann_cryptoauction_a_multisignature_bitcoin/cgrrsn9

About the logo, apparently several people aren’t feeling it, including me and would rather use the all gold version. I made a separate discussion thread on it here so it wouldn’t interfere with this one…

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2671.0

We do not have access to donations that were contributed to PPCoin/PPCoin. Now, if those commits that were pulled in are problematic, and the developer feels like they were short changed, send me a PM and we can figure something out.

I haven’t looked at the peer4commit balance for the PeerUnity project yet, but I presume it isn’t anywhere near the reference client’s.

Maybe we should just contact the developer of the coin control feature in YAC wallet. I suspect the developers of related coins have similar interests. If we are really confident in Peerunity, we should be confident in attracting talents from other groups.

On Peercoin multisig, I think the Dev should consider its importance and priority. In Nxt community, there is a Multigateway project, which doesn’t support Peercoin due to the PPC’s lack of “createmultisig” RPC command.

It seems that ppcoind does not support the "createmultisig" command, I hope nobody will be too disappointed that PPC wont be supported.

[quote=“Ben, post:54, topic:2203”]We do not have access to donations that were contributed to PPCoin/PPCoin. Now, if those commits that were pulled in are problematic, and the developer feels like they were short changed, send me a PM and we can figure something out.

I haven’t looked at the peer4commit balance for the PeerUnity project yet, but I presume it isn’t anywhere near the reference client’s.[/quote]

Those commits were merged before Peerunity had a donated balance in Peer4Commit, so the developers have received nothing so far. The situation is a bit complicated because they will still get their proper compensation when and if their pull request is merged into PPCoin.

I will echo what Ben said by saying if developers feel badly about the situation please contact me or Ben and we will arrange something. We started the Peerunity repository in part to encourage developer participation. We will take care to ensure it does not inadvertently alienate developers.

The time has come to close the period for the community to suggest Peerunity 0.5 release specifications. Additional specifications can still be proposed, but they will only be considered for the 0.6 and later releases.

The specifications accepted or under consideration for the 0.5 release are:

1. Rebranding: Accepted and funded by Peershares (no pull request yet)
  2. Menu based minting: Accepted and funded by Peershares (pull request by sigmike merged)
  3. Coin control: Under consideration
  4. createmultisig RPC: Under consideration

Negotiations regarding what coin control and createmultisig will cost and who will implement it are underway but not finalized. If you are willing to contribute development funds or code it please contact me. Let’s aim to finalize a decision to include or exclude coin control and createmultisig this Friday. A decision to include means finding a specific developer and funding if that developer requires payment.

I’d rather keep the version in sync with Peercoin version. We could for example build a 0.4.1 version instead of a 0.5. And maybe a 0.4.2 later.
When Peercoin 0.5 is released we build a 0.5.1 from it. Etc.

If we stay out of sync then I’d start with a 0.1.

I don’t know whether you’ve seen it, but glv2 made a pull request for coin control: Coin control (experimental) by glv2 · Pull Request #12 · Peerunity/Peerunity · GitHub
I haven’t reviewed it yet.

[quote=“Ben, post:54, topic:2203”]We do not have access to donations that were contributed to PPCoin/PPCoin. Now, if those commits that were pulled in are problematic, and the developer feels like they were short changed, send me a PM and we can figure something out.

I haven’t looked at the peer4commit balance for the PeerUnity project yet, but I presume it isn’t anywhere near the reference client’s.[/quote]

Those commits were merged before Peerunity had a donated balance in Peer4Commit, so the developers have received nothing so far. The situation is a bit complicated because they will still get their proper compensation when and if their pull request is merged into PPCoin.

I will echo what Ben said by saying if developers feel badly about the situation please contact me or Ben and we will arrange something. We started the Peerunity repository in part to encourage developer participation. We will take care to ensure it does not inadvertently alienate developers.[/quote]
Thanks Jordan and Ben. I think offer is apropiate, better safe than sorry.