Peerunity - a wallet and client supporting both Peercoin and Peershares

Sounds good, Ben :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ben, post:30, topic:2203”][quote=“sandakersmann, post:27, topic:2203”]Does someone know how to add this project to https://www.transifex.com/?

Bitcoin currently run translations through this site, and doing translations are super easy. I’m a total GitHub noob, so I can’t help much with this, but I will do the Norwegian translation when Transifex is up and running.[/quote]

I’ve set up a Transifex account for the PeerUnity project, but I’ll have to spend a little bit of time getting acquainted with how it all works. It seems like a pretty cool site, and because we’re an open-source project, from what I can tell, it should be free.[/quote]

Translations are important and we will find a way to make it practical for people with the appropriate language skills to contribute.

I looked into this just a bit and what I noticed was that bitcoin.org, rather than bitcoin the client seems to be using Transifex. It may still be possible to use (I don’t know), but you won’t be able to just copy the bitcoin solution. Here is a thread about its using Transifex for bitcoin.org: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=349633.0

It may turn out more practical to have translators place pull requests on GitHub. It is possible to do the translations all within the GitHub web interface. I have given a detailed explanation of how to do so here:

I would like someone to try it out and let me know how I can change the instructions to make it easier. Maybe that is the right place to have a discussion about the viability of using Transifex as well.

I would like someone to try it out and let me know how I can change the instructions to make it easier. Maybe that is the right place to have a discussion about the viability of using Transifex as well.

Agreed. From the cursory investigation that I’ve done in the tool, it looks like it’s useful for teams that are working against the same source version, rather than on local branches and then pushing up those changes. What it may be really useful for in the future is non-version controlled content (wiki pages, marketing content, etc.) that would be worth having in different languages.

In any case, we’ve got a Transifex account set up, so if it turns out to be a tool that we can put into use, we’re ready for it.

[quote=“Ben, post:33, topic:2203”]

Agreed. From the cursory investigation that I’ve done in the tool, it looks like it’s useful for teams that are working against the same source version, rather than on local branches and then pushing up those changes. What it may be really useful for in the future is non-version controlled content (wiki pages, marketing content, etc.) that would be worth having in different languages.

In any case, we’ve got a Transifex account set up, so if it turns out to be a tool that we can put into use, we’re ready for it.[/quote]
I’ve hit that same roadblock before when investigating the website translations. The only way to circumvent that is to separate the language files into a separate github project with the ‘locale’ files only. That would be reasonably safe. Once in a while you would commit the relevant locales to the master after inspection. Problem is that it takes someone to look after this, but it potentially does increase participation amongst non-coders. The linguists amongst us would love it, I think.

I managed to get the level of understanding that I could translate locales on Github myself, took me a few weeks to figure this out and I’m still on a steep learning curve.

This is an excellent idea. Yacoin is a Peercoin fork, so this should be quite easy: just a matter of taking the relevant pull requests against Yacoin and placing them against Peerunity. Lack of coin control is one of two reasons I don’t yet pay other Peershares team members in Peercoins (I still use BTC).[/quote]

Once I have tried the coin control feature it almost became addictive. We would wonder how we have lived so long without it once we have it for Peercoin.

This is an excellent idea. Yacoin is a Peercoin fork, so this should be quite easy: just a matter of taking the relevant pull requests against Yacoin and placing them against Peerunity. Lack of coin control is one of two reasons I don’t yet pay other Peershares team members in Peercoins (I still use BTC).[/quote]

Once I have tried the coin control feature it almost became addictive. We would wonder how we have lived so long without it once we have it for Peercoin.[/quote]

It would be a big win for the Peercoin community if we could get coin control in the first release. I don’t think it will be very hard to do. Yacoin has done all the heavy lifting for us. I just briefly examined the relevant Yacoin pull requests and I didn’t see why they couldn’t be pulled directly into Peerunity with only a few obvious changes (such as changing a line with yacoind in it to ppcoind) and replacing some Yacoin icons with Peercoin icons already in our source. The 2 relevant pull requests are here:

Anyone willing to fork the Peerunity repository, merge the two pull requests into the forked repository, change the branding to ppcoin/Peercoin (don’t update the name of our executable to peercoind, that needs to stay ppcoind as I explain in issue #6) and then briefly test it while it is still in the forked repository?

There are just a few days of opportunity before we will lock down the features of the first release.

Jordan, what do you think about this? I had Lightning make it up. The i in the name was the perfect place to put the leaf. Let me know if you want him to make up the full set like usual…

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:37, topic:2203”]Jordan, what do you think about this? I had Lightning make it up. The i in the name was the perfect place to put the leaf. Let me know if you want him to make up the full set like usual…

[/quote]

Because this is not a technical issue and Peerunity should be controlled by the community to the extent practical, I will let the community weigh in on this.

If we’re going to go with similar logos for each product (Peercoin, Peershares, Peerunity), then I think it would be a good idea to have a one-line small font slogan or description describing the product.

For instance, Peerunity just like you have it, and then some thing like:

“An advanced, community designed, Peercoin wallet”

…so it explains in 1 line, what it is… Because at a glance, you can’t tell what it is by the name or the logo itself if you are not familiar with it.

For instance, if you DID want people to know what it was at a glance, it would have some sort of “wallet icon” as part of the logo.

(After Sentinelrv’s next post, I came back and added this to mine)

EDIT: I really didn’t realize that Peerunity was also going to include Peershares functionality. I was so excited about a community based wallet, I gapped that… Thanks for the explanation. Would be nice if the logo for it indicated this fact somehow without needing an explanation.

Ok, so as we all know Peerunity will be a merged Peercoin/Peershares client. The Peercoin logo is gold and the Peershares logo is silver. Because Peerunity is only a merging of two different programs, I don’t think it should have a different colored logo. So the question I had was which color logo should be used for Peerunity, gold or silver? I felt Peercoin was the dominant program here, so I went with the gold logo and just changed the text to Peerunity. I think the silver should remain associated with the standalone Peershares client.

[quote=“ppcman, post:39, topic:2203”]If we’re going to go with similar logos for each product (Peercoin, Peershares, Peerunity), then I think it would be a good idea to have a one-line small font slogan or description describing the product.

For instance, Peerunity just like you have it, and then some thing like:

“An advanced, community designed, Peercoin wallet”

…so it explains in 1 line, what it is… Because at a glance, you can’t tell what it is by the name or the logo itself if you are not familiar with it.

For instance, if you DID want people to know what it was at a glance, it would have some sort of “wallet icon” as part of the logo.[/quote]

Well, we already have a slogan for Peercoin, which is featured on all our social media accounts and the website. For Peershares, I have a thread here to come up with the slogan, but I don’t think we’ve reached consensus on anything yet…

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2401.0

I’m not sure about the Peerunity slogan. Should it mention both Peercoin and Peershares or at least both of their uses?

So the question I had was which color logo should be used for Peerunity, gold or silver?[/quote]

Fill the back ground of the letter P silver, leave the border and the letter itself gold. In a black and white picture it would be difficult to tell the color. So maybe silver stars scattered on gold background, meaning something stellar developed based on Peercoin, or diagnal hatches (parallel lines from bottom left to top right) on the background filled with color that is gradually changing from gold to silver.

So the question I had was which color logo should be used for Peerunity, gold or silver?[/quote]

Fill the back ground of the letter P silver, leave the border and the letter itself gold. In a black and white picture it would be difficult to tell the color. So maybe silver stars scattered on gold background, meaning something stellar developed based on Peercoin, or diagnal hatches (parallel lines from bottom left to top right) on the background filled with color that is gradually changing from gold to silver.[/quote]

I like the idea of combining the gold and silver logos to represent the merging of Peercoin and Peershares into Peerunity. It makes sense. I’ll have Lightning make me a version of this to see how it looks and I’ll post it when it’s done.

When peerunity is going to be released?

About the logo; in the future it might support more then “only” coin n shares. Who knows?! I’m no goodood at logos, just food for thought. Rebranding also always anan option later.

The specifications of the first release will be finalized in the next few days. The major specification in question is coin control, a wonderful feature that Yacoin (a Peercoin fork) has already implemented. I am still hoping a developer will step forward and volunteer to place the Yacoin coin control code in a Peerunity fork so we can test it and pull it in. I posted details about Yacoin’s coin control earlier in this thread.

If no additional specifications are added beyond coin control, coding should be complete within days after the specifications are locked down. Then a period of testing and refinement of the code will begin. How fast this goes depends on how much the community gets involved.

The specifications of the first release will be finalized in the next few days. The major specification in question is coin control, a wonderful feature that Yacoin (a Peercoin fork) has already implemented. I am still hoping a developer will step forward and volunteer to place the Yacoin coin control code in a Peerunity fork so we can test it and pull it in. I posted details about Yacoin’s coin control earlier in this thread.

If no additional specifications are added beyond coin control, coding should be complete within days after the specifications are locked down. Then a period of testing and refinement of the code will begin. How fast this goes depends on how much the community gets involved.[/quote]
I think we already can put a nice bounty on this one. If the Peerunity project maintainers are good with it. On peer4commit we already have a 1000PPC donation. Not sure how many commits this work is without merging commits. Need a developer to make an estimate here. But we can say that they can have 4 commits of 5% (50 PPC) = 200 PPC (around US$500) to complete this piece of work. What do you guys think. Too much? When ok with two or more of the project maintainers we just swarm it around tomorrow and see if someone bites.

Ben, Sigmike, Jordan, Sk? Your opinion please.

Edit: should be one-off only as we are all keen and it is urgent. Delivery (and tested) before say Friday midnight otherwise just 1x 5% (50 PPC) for the effort.
Edit2 : Meant to say peerunity maintainers (now changed )

Fill the back ground of the letter P silver, leave the border and the letter itself gold. In a black and white picture it would be difficult to tell the color. So maybe silver stars scattered on gold background, meaning something stellar developed based on Peercoin, or diagnal hatches (parallel lines from bottom left to top right) on the background filled with color that is gradually changing from gold to silver.[/quote]

So here is the version Lightning made for me. I’m not sure about this combined approach. What do you guys think? Does this make sense or should we just stick with the dominant logo, which is the completely gold Peercoin logo.

I like it, because it differs enough from the Peercoin log to make sure, it is something else.
And it is close enough to the Peercoin logo to make clear that they have a lot to do with each other.
So my conclusion is: [size=12pt]this logo is great![/size]

Need a developer to make an estimate here.[/quote]

It’s very hard to estimate. It depends how much the two projects have diverged and the complexity of the conflicts to resolve. But it should not be very hard. And if someone tries and is blocked he can still ask questions here or on GitHub.