Peershares Template Demonstration Network (v0.1.0) Released: Windows/Linux/OS X

This is already the way dividends work in today’s stock exchanges. Have you ever received a dividend check for less than one cent? Doesn’t that imply injustice? :wink:

Perhaps, but let’s look at it realistically. If you are holding shares and you’re going to fall under that 0.01 PPC distribution amount, it’s going to be because of two reasons – you hold an extremely small amount of shares, or that dividend payment is very small, comparative to the number of active share holders at the time that the transactions were sent out.

Right now, at the current market rate, if you fall under that point, your dividend would be less than $0.015. Let’s assume that Peercoin does what we all expect it will, and next month it tops out at $10,000/PPC (obviously, right?) – under that pricing, you’d be out $150 for the dividend payment, which sounds a lot higher than it would be, proportionately, at that basis.

Your comment about accruing until you reach the minimum is interesting – unfortunately, unless I’m neglecting something, it doesn’t work on the blockchain. The reason that the dividend isn’t paid out for someone who is getting less than 0.01 PPC is that it’s not beneficial to the network. There’s a cost to maintain the network (data transfer, primarily), and to even store the information that you have a pending payment that’s waiting for more so that it reaches the minimum would end up needing to be put somewhere. In the case of the blockchain, that “somewhere” would need to be in a block…which costs network resources to process.

That may not be the answer that you’re looking for, so if you have a specific scenario in mind, let me know what it is and we can discuss it.[/quote]

That’s a valid argument. I’m convinced :slight_smile: … Thank you for clarifying.

On another note, I just downloaded the peershare template and fiddled with it a little. Quite interesting :slight_smile:

I also noticed that multisig functionality was not implemented its rpc api (createmultisig, createrawtransaction, signrawtransaction, …) . Was that done by choice of design like it it’s not feasible to integrate them in the peershare protocol? or was it just postponed for future releases?

I’m working on a couple of projects that require that functionality and I envision some of them could help in marketing peershare and peercoin in general. If they’re not feasable into the protocol then that’s my bad luck I guess. However if they’re in the plans for a future release, I sincerely hope it takes higher priority. The Peerunity team just added it to the Peerunity V0.2 to be released. :slight_smile:

[quote=“IndigoMan, post:23, topic:2539”]On another note, I just downloaded the peershare template and fiddled with it a little. Quite interesting :slight_smile:

I also noticed that multisig functionality was not implemented its rpc api (createmultisig, createrawtransaction, signrawtransaction, …) . Was that done by choice of design like it it’s not feasible to integrate them in the peershare protocol? or was it just postponed for future releases?

I’m working on a couple of projects that require that functionality and I envision some of them could help in marketing peershare and peercoin in general. If they’re not feasable into the protocol then that’s my bad luck I guess. However if they’re in the plans for a future release, I sincerely hope it takes higher priority. The Peerunity team just added it to the Peerunity V0.2 to be released. :)[/quote]

Consider the Peershares template a “minimum viable product” – there’s a lot that could be worked into it. Our goal was to get it out there and have people start to play with it and then come back with suggestions like this one. We built in the feature set that we knew would get the most use, so if you have suggestions, or want to submit a pull request, we’d be happy to have you contribute to the project.

Feel free to post any issues you find in the Peershares Github repo.

Is it encouraged to test Peershares template by try issuing shares? If yes, how to do it on testnet? Is recompiling Peershares client required?

Issuing shares will require that you stand up your own testnet. It would be a completely separate blockchain from the one that the demo network is running.

Here are the instructions to get you started:

Issuing shares will require that you stand up your own testnet. It would be a completely separate blockchain from the one that the demo network is running.

Here are the instructions to get you started:

Thank you Ben. And thank everyone in the team for the great work!

I see editing cpp files and recompilating are needed. While it doesn’t look too difficult, is it possible to factor all the custom changes to a .h file so that the user won’t accidentally change other things in mail.cpp and kernetl.cpp, and the document won’t need to have line number updated for future Peershares releases? Even better is it possible to put the parameters defs in the compiler switches in the makefile so that none of the cpp or h file needs to be touched? (and the whole process can be later put in a shell script)

Hi,Ben,
I have a good suggestion about the PPS client, it can be designed like this, it is necessary to set some parameters when it is the first time to be used , such as the number of issuing shares for the first time, POS growth ratio, transaction costs, waiting time for the POS, the speed of confirm, etc., once the client be confirmed, it can’t be changed, then it can be sent to the shareholders to manage there shares,The client would be very popular!

Hi,
This thread is too old and I am way too late. I accept.

I have few questions:

1. Why no concept of bonus share issue?
    If offering firm wants to capitalize its earning, it can issue bonus shares as percentage of share held by shareholders.

2. Why not implementation of mining by only trusted node?
    It won’t be feasible for generate shares to pay for mining as it will devalue the shares already in existence. Why not share offering organisation handle the mining and generate block to confirm share transfer transaction.

3. Shares holders need information.
    How as a shareholder, I can know:
    a. Book closing date? The cutoffdate for dividend or bonus share?
    b. NAV =Net asset value at end of each quarter or month to reflect share value.
    c. Any material information which may impact share price?
    without opening offerer website/blog on daily basis?

4. Different roles of users. Why single program/wallet?

a. Offerer issue shares/dividends and have the responsibility to maintain book of shares holder/blockchain.
b. Shareholder buy and sell shares and receive shares/dividends, receive information on timely basis. He have no concern with distribution.
c. Exchanges.

1. Different shares have different rights.
    a. Offerer can offer preferential shares with fixed percentage of dividend at the end of year.
    b. Ordinary user only get what offerer pays.
    c. Ordinary user with voting right pass motions.
    d. Preferential share holder can act as verifier by running trusted node.

Hope someone can answer these questions.