Peercoin's late-2013 price jump

I have been looking at Peercoin’s pricing history. As recently as late-2013, its price was around 50-60 cents - then it jumped to 4, 5, 6 dollars, which is where it is now. Can anyone explain what caused this sudden jump? Was it an external event?

We had:

[ul][li]Greater media attention, a greater amount of people taking the time to discover Peercoin’s strengths as a result.[/li]

[li]A website redesign[/li]

[li]Increased difficulty for proof-of-work in order to mine coins[/li]

[li]An announcement by Sunny King that 0.4 of the software is near completion and soon to be released.[/li]

[li]A surge in Bitcoin’s prices[/li]

[li]a saturation of joke coins, which flooded the market, and increased the interest in established coins[/li][/ul]

In my opinion, Peercoin has really launched itself into the limelight and it’s going to continue to do well this entire year.

I fully believe the days of under $1.00/coin are gone now, that is where all the new joke coins will trade (doge,cat,cowcoin, whatevercoin)

The market finally realized how undervalued Peercoin was (and continues to be as of January 7, 2014 in my opinion).

Quite often in my posts, when I quote a price, I always say the date (Jan 7, 2014), because it is going to be funny to look back on in 3 or 4 years time when we sit here talking about how a peercoin is only worth $5-$6 today.

Note to future readers 2015 or later from now:

Isn't it funny how a single Peercoin was only worth $5 to $6 as of the date of this post, and this was considered a big jump?

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I remember when I said this back when the price was around .15 cents…

Then Excelsior tried to explain to me how funny my comment would be in the future. I see now what he meant.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:3, topic:1388”]I remember when I said this back when the price was around .15 cents…

Then Excelsior tried to explain to me how funny my comment would be in the future. I see now what he meant.[/quote]

What ever happened to that guy?

[quote=“Yurizhai, post:4, topic:1388”][quote=“Sentinelrv, post:3, topic:1388”]I remember when I said this back when the price was around .15 cents…

Then Excelsior tried to explain to me how funny my comment would be in the future. I see now what he meant.[/quote]

What ever happened to that guy?[/quote]

I’m not sure. I still have PM’s from him, but his name was changed to spacemonkey. I can’t click on his profile name though. Also, all his posts were deleted from the forum. I’m guessing he deleted his account. Hopefully he kept his Peercoins. He told me he was in it for the long haul.

“A surge in Bitcoin’s prices” and someone mentioned in MarketWatch.com that PPC has a very good design, these tow factors forced me to purchase PPC. Since Nov. 25, I have kept purchasing PPC.

Is there a chance ppc will go dowm in price or will stay around the $5 and up? I been meaning to purchase it around the 2 to 3 dollar mark and all the sudden it jumped shouldve done it when I had the chance

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

PeerCoin is what is known as a Class Coin. Eg not an alt but a different class of tech. It has a not just competent dev (Wogtami of LTC even had to acknowledge this), but a rather brilliant one that has launched two new Class coins, the other being prime coin.

Alts are just straight out copies of existing tech, eg SHA, Scrypt etc.

PeerCoin has been developed to be a backbone currency, eg high value for storage of wealth and people are starting to realise this.

Accordingly PeerCoin does not face chain bloat or miner issues or mining tax, being POS amd 0.01 transaction fee, and the ability to recoup by minting.

The fee could be reduced (i think) but this does not matter for quite some time. See SK’s view on this.

BTC holders and CC investors are forced to and can afford to diversify, and PeerCoin is more diversified than LTC.

Also there are now less Peercoin being made than LTC and BTC.

PeerCoin will likely overtake LTC in the near future.

Then there is the tag team effect of PrimeCoin, which has nothing similar in LTC or BTC.

these are just some of the reasons

here are some historical btc prices to consider

26/02/13 0.00012666 BTC
03/15/13 0.00038