Peercoin Wiki Status Update (Feb. 10)

Just a quick point: the Wikipedia pages says at the beginning:

“Peercoin (code: PPC), also known as PPCoin and Peer-to-Peer Coin is the first…”

Instead of “also”, I suggest “previously”

Thanks! You should register an account and help us document “all things Peercoin” :slight_smile:

Hi Ben,
This is great that you are putting together this wiki. I would like to help and I just signed up.

Here is what I wrote there:

I like to think of myself as a creative thinker. I am not a computer expert or insider like many early adopters with cryptocurrency. In my imagined perfect world the word “cryptocurrency” would rather be “cryptomoney” because I see the natural dynamic of the distributed blockchain as being more fundamentally suited to deep money or long term store of value, rather than a high volume transaction currency. I see Peercoin prevailing over the myriad altcoins and even Bitcoin itself in the long run, because of Peercoin’s energy efficiency, scalability and long-term stronger security.

I hope to help in the wiki with simple writing. Writing not filled with insider acronyms and computer jargon (which has its place for those in-the-know), but, rather I hope to write in clear simple language accessible to all. Especially, non-computer savvy newcomers. I would like to write a simple clear description on how to create and use a Paper Wallet. Also, I would like to write about how to buy Bitcoin on Coinbase, then transfer the bitcoin to an exchange such as BTC-e.com and therein exchange the bitcoin for Peercoin and then transfer the Peercoin out of the exchange into either a Peercoin Qt wallet or a Paper Wallet on the Peercoin blockchain.

NewMoneyEra and D5000, I’ve confirmed your accounts, so you should be all set.

Ben! “Rillipaa00” can u accept it in Wiki? I made the username 1,5 week ago.

@peerchemist
That sounds great!
I can hardly wait to see extensive guide for minting with Raspberry Pi using new Peercoin Official Version 0.4

I just noticed that apparently (still trying to confirm where it came from, and when in the last day or two) there was a reversion of the LocalSettings.php file from the one that I’d built out to the default one.

Once I get back to the machine that has access to the saved updates, I’ll get that fixed. After that, it’s time to track down what caused it and make sure it doesn’t happen again. :frowning: Sorry for the inconvenience.

(And as soon as I’ve got time to devote, post-v0.4 release, I’ll redouble my efforts to get the wiki stable and content added to it)

I’m happy to help out with this. Let me know if there is anything that needs writing :slight_smile:

I currently get a 503 server error at peercoinwiki :frowning:

Fuzzybear

I ran into an issue with a run-away process – unsure what was going on, and as I was about to get on a plane for Russia, I put things into stasis until I could review.

It may make the most sense to use the Github repo’s wiki feature and just point peercoinwiki at it.

Is the wiki no longer available for use?

I was thinking of having a page with Peercoin sites and links maintained in a wiki so people can add comments or experiences and which can be linked from the new website.
Hoped the wiki allowed comments from everyone which can be added by a moderator to ensure they are appropriate.

It could be resurrected. Let’s just say that interest was limited to two or three people the first go around. There’s a cost to maintain it, both in time and in money, and the traffic and interest weren’t showing an ROI.

I should have time in this upcoming week to figure out a new solution if you think it’s something that we can get others involved in.

[quote=“Ben, post:32, topic:1955”]It could be resurrected. Let’s just say that interest was limited to two or three people the first go around. There’s a cost to maintain it, both in time and in money, and the traffic and interest weren’t showing an ROI.

I should have time in this upcoming week to figure out a new solution if you think it’s something that we can get others involved in.[/quote]
Hmm, haven’t considered the cost of it. I’m not sure if I can generate enough interest to make it viable. it will depend on having a link from peercoin.net and quality of content/community interest. Maybe we need a different approach.

Peer4commit or maybe even the marketing fund could probably take care of the cost. Collaborative projects like wikis take a long time to get the point where they are actually useful, but it is usually worth it in the end.

A wiki is a good judge of how serious a project is. For example, Open Transactions’ extensive wiki is what made me bother to look into them in the first place. There’s also added marketing from referrals from other projects; how many times do smaller coins refer to the Bitcoin wiki, or other linux distros refer to the arch linux wiki? We should have the de facto source of information on proof of stake.

I’ve also heard criticisms from Bitcoiners that we do not publicize our possible weaknesses in the way the Bitcoin wiki sort of does. Using pillow’s material, we can have information from our point of view easily accessible for when people research these issues.

Anyway, I’ve made my case but I’m not the one taking the time to set this up so I can understand if others don’t have the time :wink: I’d try to contribute a bit with writing though (I didn’t notice it the first time round).

I would like to see it set up for a trial period of a year or something. If it does not gain interest in that time then it won’t be worth continuing. As I said, I think the cost can be covered by peer4commit/marketing fund.

The money is less important to me than the resource being available. That said, I just don’t have time to spend hours a week trying to push it forward. I’m not able to take point any longer on this, but I’ll be happy to cover hosting costs and set up the infrastructure to get you started. Peer4Commit may work for a long-term funding plan, but I’ll commit to subsidize it for the next year.

That’s completely understandable, I know you’re busy with more important things. When you say set up the infrastructure, do you mean that you can keep the site running, but just not handle the content? If so, it might still be able to work, since it would need lots of different authors anyway. No one person can write a wiki :smiley:

But at the same time, you probably have a better idea than me about whether enough people would contribute from the first time. Maybe others can chime in here about whether they would be willing to help out too.

We might as well start with one page and see what happens :slight_smile:

Great! I’ll try to help out getting it started. Hope others can too.

Ben do you still own http://peercoinwiki.org/ ?

If so can we get it pointing to http://wiki.peercointalk.org/

Been a bit more interest in people writing in the wiki and I got a few more pages added

Fuzzybear

Sure, I’ll redirect the URL when I get a free minute.