Peercoin v0.4 Features

So now that the new version is out, can someone run me through a quick list of the new features?

[quote=“Sunny King, post:1, topic:1778”]What’s included in v0.4.0:

• Debug window console support in Qt, easier to get to command line e.g. unlock wallet for minting (if you enter wallet passphrase in the console please remember to use the clear button to clear it).
  • Protocol adjustment required for future p2pool support. Protocol switch scheduled for May 5th.
  • Experimental getblocktemplate support
  • getpeerinfo support
  • Bug fixes
  • Mandatory upgrade release, upgrade deadline May 4th.[/quote]

Apologies for offtopic but can you please change the title to Peercoin v0.4 features

Apologies for offtopic but can you please change the title to Peercoin v0.4 features[/quote]
Ha ha, thanks, I was laughing at that transition from pee pee coin to pee coin.

[quote=“OrderAmongChaos, post:2, topic:2162”]http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2473.msg20620#msg20620

• Debug window console support in Qt, easier to get to command line e.g. unlock wallet for minting (if you enter wallet passphrase in the console please remember to use the clear button to clear it).
  • Protocol adjustment required for future p2pool support. Protocol switch scheduled for May 5th.
  • getpeerinfo support
  • Bug fixes
  • Mandatory upgrade release, upgrade deadline May 4th.[/quote][/quote]

Yeah, I would be interested to know what fixes that Fuzzy or other developers did were included in this update?

If there were any bug fixes. I’d rather not find out what they were until after May 4th, when the mandatory upgrade deadline is here.

Publicly talking about them just encourages hackers and crackers to come sniffing around looking for problems to exploit.

[quote=“sahkan, post:5, topic:2162”][quote=“OrderAmongChaos, post:2, topic:2162”]http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2473.msg20620#msg20620

• getpeerinfo support
  • Bug fixes
  • Mandatory upgrade release, upgrade deadline May 4th.[/quote][/quote]

Yeah, I would be interested to know what fixes that Fuzzy or other developers did were included in this update?[/quote]

The only one I know of is that you are now required to put in your pass-phrase when you try to send coins whilst your wallet is unlocked for minting.

I don’t understand Sunny’s summary, for example:

“Protocol adjustment required for future p2pool support”
“Experimental getblocktemplate support”
“getpeerinfo support”

Can someone explain these?

Thanks

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:8, topic:2162”]I don’t understand Sunny’s summary, for example:

“Protocol adjustment required for future p2pool support”
“Experimental getblocktemplate support”
“getpeerinfo support”

Can someone explain these?

Thanks[/quote]
There we go, here is my take on this: So Peercoin was a cutting edge coin about a year ago, over that said year it became pretty much a dinosaur of crypto with lack of significant upgrades. So here is the first one:
“Protocol adjustment required for future p2pool support” - p2pool allows you to mine straight on your ppc daemon but it combines hashing across all p2pool instances thus creating a decentralized mining. It was suppose to be bitcoin’s answer to 51% attack but not very many people actually use it. Fuzzy for that matter had his own p2pool. So now starting in May peercoin will have it.

“Experimental getblocktemplate support” - This is a protocol to pass work to miners, we started off with getwork which had heavy internet usage as miners got faster, moved on to stratum, and now we need getblocktemplate to keep up with today’s hashing power houses.

“getpeerinfo support” is just a command under your console/debug window. Try it out, it will tell you who your client is connecting to.

So still no coin control like Bitcoin 0.9 got?

Ppcoin 0.4 doesn’t have coin control, but the Peerunity wallet will have it in its first release.

If you want to test it, you can check the threads http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2648.0 and http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2699.0