Peercoin v0.4.0 Release for OS X

I removed the block chain and it’s re-downloading now.

Ben: if I could offer some unsolicited advice on your terminal instructions.

I find it much, much easier to just use the terminal command to show hidden files, restart the finder, and then navigate through the Mac OS window system to the hidden folder (~/library/Application Support/PPCoin) and delate the block chain that way.

The terminal command to show hidden files and then restart the finder is below. The process is reversed by merely replacing “TRUE” with “FALSE.”

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE killall Finder

Has the ppcoind error been sorted out yet? I haven’t announced this yet on Facebook because I’m not sure how serious this problem is. Should I be waiting Ben, or should I just post it?

You can post it, most people use the Qt client, so the impact is small. I’m hoping that I will have time tonight to work on fixing the daemon, so in any case, it won’t be too long.

Awesome job everyone, works like a champ for me on 10.9.3. Thanks for the great support!

is this going to be available on the peercoin website?

as it’s still pointing to v 0.3.0

What happens if I wait till V.5 to upgrade wallet?

How is the new build for ppcoind coming along? There is currently no way for osx users to mint, given that peerunity is not yet available for us…

what is the advised cold storage method for v0.3.0 wallets?

If you want to deploy ppcoind to systems without the libraries, you need to static link them. Here is a copy that works.
ppcoind-0.4.0-macosx.zip Free large file hosting. Send big files the easy way!
SHA-256 (ppcoind): 5bd91f8c5f0a8bd3fa65cf22f298fad327f930e62771a77cd7a491789e84f312

Regular users should not compile with static libraries because if there are updates, you would have to recompile. For example, when updating OpenSSL to fix Heartbleed, you only need to update with MacPorts or Homebrew. If you built with static libraries, a recompile is required after updating your libraries.

To build with static linked libraries, use this command with MacPorts:

[tt]cd ppcoin/src/
make -f makefile.osx RELEASE=true 64BIT=true STATIC=true[/tt]

Use this with Homebrew:

[tt]ln -s /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/db48
cd ppcoin/src/
make -f makefile.osx RELEASE=true 64BIT=true STATIC=true DEPSDIR=/usr/local[/tt]

Add [tt]CXX=g++[/tt] to the make command if building on 10.8.x.

You should be able to mint with Qt.

Just to let you guys know, Ben has been traveling and hasn’t had an opportunity to work on the ppcoin daemon.

There’s nothing to work on. Compile it yourself using the pull request I submitted or download the version of ppcoind I posted in this thread.

Thanks, Bitpar.

Note; If you have a file called ppcoin.conf, include it in the next step when you duplicate the files.

I have the ppcoin.conf how am I supposed to include it in the next step?

Is it necessary to include ppcoin.conf?

ppcoin.conf is only required if you plan on using the daemon (ppcoind). If you run Peerunity-Qt, you can mint without running the command line.

Thank you Bitpar and Ben for the quality work you put into this!

The instructions were clear, concise and easy to follow. I am now up to date :pbjt:

The link on peercoin.net to download a wallet is still for version 0.3.0. Can this be updated? I am downloading my first wallet and initially got the wrong one. I don’t want others to make the same mistake.

Exactly. Do you expect first time users to read this forum?

No, we don’t, and that link should be updated. I’ve submitted a pull request to the maintainer of the site with the updated link, so I’m hopeful that Super3 will get it fixed ASAP.

No, we don’t, and that link should be updated. I’ve submitted a pull request to the maintainer of the site with the updated link, so I’m hopeful that Super3 will get it fixed ASAP.

https://github.com/super3/peercoin.net/pull/116[/quote]

Thanks! I’m glad you’re on top of this so quickly!