Heavy.com posted an article comparing different cryptocurrencies, including Peercoin.
Capitalization: 122 Million Dollars. Price as of 12/2/12: ~$6
• Said to be sustainable and long-term environmentally friendly because mining will require orders of magnitude less power than Bitcoin and Litecoin.
• Distinguishes itself from other coins by using “Proof-of-Stake/Proof-of-Work” hybrid. Proof of stake requires less energy.
• .01 Peercoin Transaction fee (on every transaction) is said to render Peercoin a better “store of value,” and it may be used as a backbone cryptocurrency according to some, and its creator, Sunny King.
• In terms of speculative value, Peercoin has attractive branding and an excellent logo. This may increase early adoption.
• Peercoin is inflationary, tantamounting to each user’s number of Peercoins growing 1% per year. This means that the number of Peercoins is technically limitless. This may be seen as a con for speculation, but for real-world use is more comparable to modern money systems.
• .01 Peercoin transaction fee means that Peercoin is less liquid and less multifaceted in use than competitors. It would be impractical to use in everyday transactions, a stock market, or anything with high transaction volume. This will only become more true as its value increases.
• Not truly decentralized. Peercoin uses “centralized checkpointing,” but Sunny King, Peercoin’s creator, says this feature will be removed with future versions and when the cryptocurrency stabilizes.
• Peercoin is inflationary which some feel is intrinsically bad. Others have said that “the rich get richer” with peercoin, but the reality is that Peercoin users all stand to benefit equally from Peercoin’s inflation.