Peercoin on Raspberry Pi

I was thinking it might be a good time to increase the reward. There is over 1000 PPC on Peer4commit at the moment. Should I increase the reward to 20 PPC? Or more?

23165726.52382100 Peercoins in total now. So reward can be 23.16? As some round percentage of total?

Got mine setup. Fun little project! Reward still available?

P4C
Identifier
Z7jJwSfGMPPh

UPDATED - Thanks for the update!

you’re on v0.5.3, new version just got released

[quote=“peerchemist”]I’ve upgraded packages to new v0.5.4 Peercoin release which solves fork issues.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

then restart peerbox.[/quote]

Updated Thanks!

23165726.52382100 Peercoins in total now. So reward can be 23.16? As some round percentage of total?[/quote]

That could be good. It might be confusing when promoting it though?

I remember NewMoneyEra mentioning before that we could have a higher reward for nodes in more diverse countries too.

Thanks :slight_smile: I just sent you 10 PPC. If we decide to increase the reward soon I’ll also send you the difference then.

actually, shouldnt it be a full node? (9 or more connections?) i guess just a detail

Some have suggested that rewards for nodes staying online over time would be good. I agree. But I have no idea how to reliably determine that a node has been consistently online for a certain amount of time. If anyone knows how this could be verified please chip in.

On the subject of the amount of the tip, River and I discussed this at the beginning and I think it would be good to raise the tip. Also importantly, would be to get some promoting or advertising going. I think we may be bottomed out now and in for a rising tide. It would be nice to see some new energy coming into Peercoin. If a bigger tip can help then I am all for it. Maybe the base tip could be 20 Peercoin?

Nick Szabo in his public speeches these days makes the point that nodes in diverse countries are more valuable nodes. It makes a lot of sense. The more far-flung and different legal jurisdictions that have nodes the more diverse and secure the network will be.

So, I think it would make sense to offer higher tips for creation of nodes in more diverse locations. For example, we could possibly have a base 20ppc tip for a new full R-Pi node in a country with three or more other pre-existing nodes, 30ppc for a new node in a country with only two other nodes, 40ppc in jurisdiction with only one other node and 50ppc tip for a new node in a country with no pre-existing nodes!

Anybody have any ideas or feedback on this?

River you are the ultimate decider.

Of course when PPC rises! to $5 or $10 each!, we might have to readjust downward. But that is the good type of problem to have :wink:

We would need a reliable way to determine node location. The only way I know to identify node location is by the ip address. Does anyone know if ip addresses can be spoofed? Or, any other better way to determine new node location?

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:488, topic:2353”]Nick Szabo in his public speeches these days makes the point that nodes in diverse countries are more valuable nodes. It makes a lot of sense. The more far-flung and different legal jurisdictions that have nodes the more diverse and secure the network will be.

So, I think it would make sense to offer higher tips for creation of nodes in more diverse locations. For example, we could possibly have a base 20ppc tip for a new full R-Pi node in a country with three or more other pre-existing nodes, 30ppc for a new node in a country with only two other nodes, 40ppc in jurisdiction with only one other node and 50ppc tip for a new node in a country with no pre-existing nodes!

Anybody have any ideas or feedback on this? [/quote]

It would be hard to follow who is where, and who to tip more. Also, IP can be obfuscated easily with Tor or something like Tor. A single person can claim any amount of those rewards daily by switching proxies or using Tor.

There is one idea, to reward Tor nodes. Build up a backbone of 20-30 Tor full nodes?

Otherwise it may be the best to invest the surplus money into marketing. Cover one Raspberry Pi/IoT news portal with a story about this project or something like it.

The reward is now increased to 20 PPC. I agree that giving more for diverse countries would be great but it doesn’t look like there is a good way to do it. Will keep it simple for now.

If anyone wants to try this I would be happy to provide some PPC from the fund.

There are 12 connections in the first photo so I think it’s fine.

Was still updating when i took this picture

Here you go

23165726.52382100 Peercoins in total now. So reward can be 23.16? As some round percentage of total?[/quote]

That could be good. It might be confusing when promoting it though?

I remember NewMoneyEra mentioning before that we could have a higher reward for nodes in more diverse countries too.

Thanks :slight_smile: I just sent you 10 PPC. If we decide to increase the reward soon I’ll also send you the difference then.[/quote]

Thanks River!!

Please retweet the 20 PPC announcement here…

Should we try another round of advertising this project on Reddit?

Thanks Sentinelrv.

I’ll look into advertising next week.

If you look at the first page of this topic you will see that second comment was made on 11.05.2014. The first node tipped by this project.
That means this project is 2 years old today.

[quote=“peerchemist, post:496, topic:2353”]If you look at the first page of this topic you will see that second comment was made on 11.05.2014. The first node tipped by this project.
That means this project is 2 years old today.[/quote]

Yeah Hey! Good Catch Peerchemist! :slight_smile:
[size=18pt]Happy Birthday![/size]
to the Spreading Peercoin on RaspberryPi program! :slight_smile:

Sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed to this worthwhile effort.

Can I run peercoin and primecoin (and others) at the same time on this?

Does the blockchain(s) get stored on the SD Card?

Great use for my pi !
ID: 9DsiewHUMVee

1 Like

[quote=“SLKRD, post:498, topic:2353”]Can I run peercoin and primecoin (and others) at the same time on this?

Does the blockchain(s) get stored on the SD Card?[/quote]

yes you can.

Yes, all blockchains will be stored on the SD card.