Peercoin network map

Thanx a lot for the tip! Hosting won’t be a problem for a few months at least :slight_smile:

Cool, so its me and two other people running full-nodes in my country. :open_mouth:

[quote=“Cybnate, post:2, topic:2511”]Re suggestions:
maybe you can add some totals to the map. Bragging with the number of active nodes is good, we just need to explain to users why :wink:
or maybe building statistics with history showing growth of nodes?[/quote]

I have just added a simple line chart showing the daily numbers of active full nodes:

You can find it here: http://cryptocities.appspot.com/peercoin-fullnodes-daily-stats.html

Hey Mably,

Do you mind if I try to get Fuzzy to provide a link to your peercoin-1d-allnodes.html map on the forum first page?

I think your maps will be an attractive feature to all Peercoiners, both beginners and experienced.

If it would be OK, then maybe some others would help persuade Fuzzy too.

Would this be OK?

NewMoneyEra

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:24, topic:2511”]Do you mind if I try to get Fuzzy to provide a link to your peercoin-1d-allnodes.html map on the forum first page?

I think your maps will be an attractive feature to all Peercoiners, both beginners and experienced.[/quote]

No problem of course.

Don’t know if this is the right map to show though as it takes into account only the new connections during the last 24 hours, long lived connections are not shown on this map besides the active full nodes. The seven days map might be more realistic. Or we can stick to the active full nodes map which is probably the more accurate one.

question: lets say i have 10 ppc wallets minting behind the same ip.

1. only one can be the full node,right?
  2. the rest wallets will mint as partial nodes but they are contributing
    to ppc security like they were in different IPs, correct?
    ofcourse all wallets will have more than 10ppc each :wink:
    thanks

I have found a website doing exactly the same thing for the Bitcoin network:

https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/

I’ll try to implement the node checker form in the coming days.

I was thinking: is there a simple way to verify ownership of a specific node? Would it be possible to modify the subver field from the version message to include some kind of node proof of ownership like “/Satoshi:0.6.3/Peercoin:0.4.0(v0.4.0ppc-beta)/<PROOF_OF_NODE_OWNERSHIP>” ?

Mably, I almost didn’t see this thread because it was posted in Other, which I rarely visit. Would you like me to move it to a more appropriate board like development discussion?

Of course, no problem.

Of course, no problem.[/quote]

Done.

I suspect that your map does not include the Peerunity nodes. Is my suspicion correct?

In fact, the active full nodes map does include some Peerunity nodes as you can see below:

http://cryptocities.appspot.com/peercoin-fullnodes.html

It might take a few days before a new node gets referenced by other nodes and is shown on the map.

Some nodes with dynamic IPs also get lost from time to time and take a few days to reappear.

Ok :slight_smile:

v0.4.2.0 :o :o
who?

:o weird
also:

dirty beta? :o

This one is really useful:
http://cryptocities.appspot.com/peercoin-fullnodes-daily-stats.html

In the user agent string, “-dirty” is a flag that indicates that the branch of code used to build the client contained changes that had not been committed. “-beta” is a standard flag applied to any of the Peercoin (and derivative) builds. It’s a subjective indicator that shows that the software is still in development.

For anyone who is interested, here are the constants and variables used to construct the “SubVer” user agent string from Peerunity (src/util.cpp):

// Format the subversion field according to BIP 14 spec (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/BIP_0014)
std::string FormatSubVersion(const std::string& name, int nClientVersion, const std::vector<std::string>& comments)
{
    std::ostringstream ss;
    ss << "/";
    ss << name << ":" << FormatVersion(nClientVersion);
    if (!comments.empty())
        ss << "(" << boost::algorithm::join(comments, "; ") << ")";
    ss << "/";
    ss << "Peercoin:" << FormatVersion(PPCOIN_VERSION);
    ss << "/";
    ss << "Peerunity:" << FormatVersion(PEERUNITY_VERSION);
    ss << "(" << CLIENT_BUILD << ")/";
    return ss.str();
}

In retrospect, it should probably be updated so it reads something like:

SubVer: /Peercoin:0.4.0/Satoshi -dirty -beta

or if it was a Peerunity client:

SubVer: /Peercoin:0.4.0/Peerunity:0.1.0/Satoshi -dirty -beta

Awesome site. But Chinese need VPN to get access. That’s OK.

Mably, I recently purchased domains for Peermap.org and .net. If you plan on continuing to develop this further, I think it would be a good idea to use this domain instead of cryptocities. That domain was recommended to me to include in the Peercoin information sticky, but I ignored it until today because I didn’t recognize the domain. Only now did I realize it was your network map website. I think the name Peermap is a good fit. Maybe we could even find a web designer to help spruce up the page a bit. Would you want to use Peermap?

Hi sentinelrv, I’m totally fine with your proposition.

All cryptocities maps are built client-side, you can put them easily where you want, data comes from two Google fusion tables publicly available.

We might just have to serve the data from elsewhere if the web site gets too much traffic (I think we have a 25K requests max per day quota).