Peercoin.net: Wallet Page

Link to the wallet page content: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19-rhxgIiFe8cqCYJVcs2r8u7PKfLrJk8mMybS9Zudc0

TheWildHorse, I pretty much used your content as-is, with small changes to the top of the page. We will need a new “Download Peerunity” site page, since the current link leads to the forums.

Post here when the staging site matches the Google Docs version.

As always, open to feedback. Thanks!

Can someone provide linux and mac versions of the Peerunity screenshot similar to ones for QT here:

Also, if you have any v1 file signatures and any potential guides/tutorials that should be included, let me know.

The current changes will be published in revision V2.0, until I get/create the content above. When the revision batch is complete it will be posted as a new topic in this subforum.
ETA: +4 hours after this post

Chronos, TheWildHorse

Paper wallet

I think it is important that we include the peercoin paper wallet on this page, as seen at wallet.peercointalk.org. A screen shot would be nice

The peercoin paper wallet’s inclusion will entail either a direct link to wallet.peercointalk.org, or a new page with text and video (which may not be possible at the moment, as Chronos as quite a lot on his plate). At the very least, Chronos will need to add an extra paragraph to his text for the Peercoin paper wallet

Assuming you agree with the paper wallet’s inclusion, I think the wallets should be listed/described in the following order:

Peerunity
Peercoin-QT
Peercoin paper wallet

Great idea. I’ve now added text for a paper wallet.

Chronos
I have had some thoughts on this page, but am not able to copy the text from google docs into Word (which helps me “think it through”) - can you copy-paste the text and send it to me in a PM?

I couldn’t, either. The doc was totally broken. I’ve moved it to:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19-rhxgIiFe8cqCYJVcs2r8u7PKfLrJk8mMybS9Zudc0/

Here’s the current text:

[hr]

A Peercoin wallet is an application which is used to store and transact Peercoins with other users. For more information on how to use your wallet software, visit the Get Started page.

Disclaimer: The official Peercoin-QT client and the Peerunity community client <TWH, make the underlined a link to a new Peerunity download page> are the only wallets developed and maintained by the Peercoin community. Any other 3rd party wallets were developed outside the community and could contain malware or use insecure methods of storing your coins. Please be cautious and do your own research when selecting a wallet.

Peercoin-QT

Developed and maintained by Peercoin developer Sunny King. Although it is the most secure wallet, Peercoin-QT receives only high-priority updates, so it lacks extra features and visual appeal.

Peerunity

Developed and maintained by the Peercoin community. Peerunity includes many extra features that the official wallet lacks, such as coin control. Future releases will contain a redesigned theme, Peershares integration, and a Minting tab.

Paper Wallet

Consists of a Peercoin storage address that is printed onto on a piece of paper for safekeeping. Use a paper wallet if you want to limit access to your Peercoins, and plan to store them for a long period of time.

Wallet page changes are implemented and will be included in the Revision v3 of the Peercoin.net project.

ETA: +4 hours

Chronos,

I offer further comments on the wallet page, as follows. I suggest removing the second sentence of the first paragraph, as it will overlap with what will follow:

[b]A Peercoin wallet is an application which is used to store and transact Peercoins with other users. For more information on how to use your wallet software, visit the Get Started page.

Disclaimer: The Peercoin wallets featured on this page are the only wallets developed and maintained by the Peercoin community. Any other 3rd party wallets have been developed outside the community and may be insecure, fraudulent, or contain malware. Please be cautious and do your own research when selecting a wallet.[/b]

Comment on the above disclaimer: I have tightened the text, so that this paragraph does not “outweigh” those on the wallets.

However, I raise a much bigger point: is this disclaimer paragraph useful or necessary? I don’t think it is. It will be self-evident that the wallets on this page are those endorsed by the Peercoin community, so I cannot envisage why a visitor would navigate elsewhere to choose a wallet not associated with us (if they do, it will be for a specific reason, which a disclaimer will not prevent).

Regarding rogue or insecure download sites, people fall for these because they have not found peercoin.net - therefore, the disclaimer would not have helped them. A disclaimer on false wallets only works if it is advertised outside of Peercoin.net, not in it

Also, I feel that the disclaimer interrupts the flow of this page and adds negativity. If you agree with my reasoning, I suggest going straight from the first sentence to the following:

Peercoin has two official desktop wallets:

Peercoin-QT is Peercoin’s core protocol, and is developed and maintained by Peercoin developer Sunny King. Peercoin-QT receives high-priority development and updates, but lacks branding such as the Peercoin logo.

Peerunity, developed by the Peercoin community, is based on Peercoin-QT but has Peercoin branding, extra buttons that assist new users, and features such as coin control. Future releases of Peerunity will contain a redesigned control panel, Peershares integration, and a dedicated Minting tab.

Comment on the above paragraphs: you will notice that I have brought the Peercoin-QT and Peerunity descriptions together before going to the download links/images. This is mission critical, in my opinion. If we were listing different types of wallets (client, paper, mobile, web), they could be described one after the other, with each one having its link. However, the two clients are the same “type” of wallet, and therefore we must present them together in order to manage the relationship between them.

Assuming we are in agreement on this, the webpage can then go on to show the images and links:

Peerunity (recommended for most users)
Image and link to the “Getting started” webpage - I assume the download link will be located on the Getting started page?

Peercoin-QT (core protocol)
Image and download link

(TheWildHorse: is it possible for the images/links of the two clients to be presented in such a way that communicates to the user that they need to choose one or the other? For example, side-by-side, or in a box diagonally opposite each other, rather than one underneath the other?)

Paper Wallet

(I suggest inserting an extra line, at the beginning)

This is an offline wallet, the safest means of holding Peercoins. Consists of a Peercoin storage address that is printed onto on a piece of paper for safekeeping. Use a paper wallet if you want to limit access to your Peercoins, and plan to store them for a long period of time.

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:9, topic:2776”]Peerunity (recommended for most users)
Image and link to the “Getting started” webpage - I assume the download link will be located on the Getting started page?

Image and download link

(TheWildHorse: is it possible for the images/links of the two clients to be presented in such a way that communicates to the user that they need to choose one or the other? For example, side-by-side, or in a box diagonally opposite each other, rather than one underneath the other?)[/quote]

TheWildHorse: on reflection, there is no real need for the two to be side by side, one can go underneath the other - whatever you think best - but Peerunity should go first

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:10, topic:2776”][quote=“RobertLloyd, post:9, topic:2776”]Peerunity (recommended for most users)

Image and download link

(TheWildHorse: is it possible for the images/links of the two clients to be presented in such a way that communicates to the user that they need to choose one or the other? For example, side-by-side, or in a box diagonally opposite each other, rather than one underneath the other?)[/quote]

TheWildHorse: on reflection, there is no real need for the two to be side by side, one can go underneath the other - whatever you think best - but Peerunity should go first[/quote]
What about a ‘OR’ between them to clarify they only need one?

Peerunity includes many extra features that the official wallet lacks, such as coin control.

How about much easier minting? I feel like that’s the feature Peerunity needs to be screaming about. I definitely saw Peercoin get some shit for not having that earlier.

[quote=“Yurizhai, post:12, topic:2776”]

Peerunity includes many extra features that the official wallet lacks, such as coin control.

How about much easier minting? I feel like that’s the feature Peerunity needs to be screaming about. I definitely saw Peercoin get some shit for not having that earlier.[/quote]

How about replacing “extra buttons that assist new users” with “one click minting”; thus:

Peerunity, developed by the Peercoin community, is based on Peercoin-QT but has Peercoin branding, one click minting, and extra features such as coin control. Future releases of Peerunity will contain a redesigned control panel, Peershares integration, and a dedicated Minting tab.

I love these new suggestions. Nearly all of them are now integrated.

I removed the disclaimer entirely, but I kept the link to Newcomers, since some visitors will traverse the site this way: Homepage --> Wallet --> Newcomers. We want to make this flow easy and natural.

Thanks for the awesome feedback! Ready for round two.

Hi, Chronos

I draw attention to the current wording of the Peercoin-QT paragraph:

“Developed by Peercoin developer Sunny King. Although it is the most secure wallet software, Peercoin-QT receives only high-priority updates, so it lacks extra features and visual appeal”.

Peercoin-QT and Peerunity are as secure as each other, and I am concerned that the above wording places newcomers in an impossible position by forcing them to choose between ease of use (Peerunity) and apparent security (Peercoin-QT)

Indeed, the current Peercoin-QT wording implies that Peerunity is not secure, and this is surely not the case. Can you take another look at my proposed alternative wording for Peercoin-QT, which neutralises the issue?

“Peercoin-QT is Peercoin’s core protocol, and is developed and maintained by Peercoin developer Sunny King. Peercoin-QT receives high-priority development and updates, but lacks branding such as the Peercoin logo”

Requested changes have been included and will be published in Revision v3.5 of the Peercoin.net project.

Great point. I’m glad you brought this up. I’ve changed the text to the following:

Peerunity (recommended)

Peerunity is actively developed by the Peercoin community. It includes features beyond the basic wallet software, such as one-click minting and coin control. Future releases will contain a redesigned control panel, Peershares integration, and a dedicated Minting tab.

Peercoin-QT

Peercoin-QT is Peercoin’s core protocol, built and maintained by Peercoin developer Sunny King. It receives only high-priority updates.

[hr]

Thoughts?

Can we change “Peerunity (recommended)” to “Peerunity (recommended for most users)”?

Logically, there is no difference, but from a visitor’s point of view, “recommended for most users” means them. The newcomer will be reassured that they are among “most users”

I would try adding “core protolcol” in brackets after Peercoin-QT. This will visually balance “(recommended for most users)” - but, more importantly, it announces why Peercoin-QT is there.

[quote=“Chronos, post:17, topic:2776”]Peerunity (recommended)

Peerunity is actively developed by the Peercoin community. It includes features beyond the basic wallet software, such as one-click minting and coin control. Future releases will contain a redesigned control panel, Peershares integration, and a dedicated Minting tab.[/quote]

I would take out “actively”, because of reverse psychology.

More importantly, “basic wallet software” confuses the issue, since we have not mentioned Peercoin-QT yet and, when we do, we do not refer to it as basic wallet software.

How about: “It includes features beyond the core protolcol wallet (below)”

TWH, did you ever figure out what the issue was with the logos on this page? I’m still seeing jagged edges.