Peercoin.net: Developers

I’m not sure since I’m not a developer, but even if it is, should it be on this page? I’m not saying we shouldn’t mention potential flaws, just to have them fully explained on designated pages. Not brief mentions on promotional pages where they can be misinterpreted. For example, someone might think this means the wallet can’t be encrypted at all. The advantages of cold locked minting can probably be explained without mentioning this, and then a link could be added with more info whenever the wiki is ready.

Good call. Even if true, it’s pretty negative. How about this?

Currently, in order to mint new coins, users must keep a wallet unlocked on the network, which is known as a hot wallet. Hot wallets are at a greater risk of malware stealing their coins, because they must remain connected to the internet during the minting process. In the next version of Peercoin, special minting keys will allow users to mint while keeping their spending keys entirely offline.

[quote=“Chronos, post:22, topic:2777”]Good call. Even if true, it’s pretty negative. How about this?

Currently, in order to mint new coins, users must keep a wallet unlocked on the network, which is known as a hot wallet. Hot wallets are at a greater risk of malware stealing their coins, because they must remain connected to the internet during the minting process. In the next version of Peercoin, special minting keys will allow users to mint while keeping their spending keys entirely offline.
[/quote]

Yes I prefer that, thanks. Maybe it could also clarify in the first sentence “…users must keep a wallet unlocked for minting on the network…” or something like that?

[quote=“river333, post:23, topic:2777”][quote=“Chronos, post:22, topic:2777”]Good call. Even if true, it’s pretty negative. How about this?

[/quote]

Yes I prefer that, thanks. Maybe it could also clarify in the first sentence “…users must keep a wallet unlocked for minting on the network…” or something like that?[/quote]
I think it’s well-clarified by in order to mint new coins in the first sentence, and during the minting process in the second.

I mean so it clarifies between fully unlocked i.e. not encrypted at all, and “unlocked for minting only”.

And that goes back to the original question: does it stay encrypted against malware while minting? If not, I like the current text. If so, I’ll tighten it up.

Yeah, if it was me I’d just leave it out, for example:

Currently, in order to mint new coins, users must keep their wallet connected to the network, which is known as a hot wallet. Hot wallets are at a greater risk of malware stealing their coins, because they must remain connected to the internet. In the next version of Peercoin, special minting keys will allow users to mint while keeping their spending keys entirely offline.

But whatever you think is best, I don’t really know.

River, I’m not sure what you’re recommending. First, you mentioned adding “for minting” to the first sentence, but your recent quote didn’t add that.

Anyway, I’m pretty happy with the current text. See https://docs.google.com/document/d/10QTxByQvCZjDR8INDqrFJTg5p8HnI7JRV7u8rGYX4So for the latest version.

[quote=“river333, post:27, topic:2777”]

Currently, in order to mint new coins, users must keep their wallet connected to the network, which is known as a hot wallet. Hot wallets are at a greater risk of malware stealing their coins, because they must remain connected to the internet. In the next version of Peercoin, special minting keys will allow users to mint while keeping their spending keys entirely offline.

But whatever you think is best, I don’t really know.[/quote]

Chronos

River333 did not include the reference to minting because he removed (in the above quote) the word “unlocked” from the first sentence.

When the reference to “unlocked” is included, it raises the question: unlocked for what? Minting or spending? If the word “unlocked” is removed, it resolves the matter

Yes, I changed it in reply to your post that pointed out there was still uncertainty over whether it stays encrypted despite the clarification, and so suggested to just remove the reference to unlocking the wallet completely.

The way it is phrased currently is confusing in my opinion, which can evidently be seen from this comment thread :wink:

But I’m obviously not doing a good job at making myself clear :smiley: so just keep it however you like, it’s not a huge deal.

Sorry, I now understand. Here’s the new version:

Currently, in order to mint new coins, users must keep a wallet connected to the network, which is known as a hot wallet. Hot wallets are at a greater risk of malware stealing their coins, because they must remain connected to the internet during the minting process. In the next version of Peercoin, special minting keys will allow users to mint while keeping their spending keys entirely offline.

Chronos, are the major projects like Peershares, Peerbox and Peerunity still going to be included on this page along with their respective logos, like we all talked about in the other thread?

[quote=“Chronos, post:20, topic:2777”]I do currently believe the spending keys cannot be kept encrypted during the minting process. As I understand it, Unlock for Minting Only does protect against another person walking up to the computer and withdrawing the coins, but I think malware that is running in memory on the device could still read the private keys.

Is this correct?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote=“sigmike, post:33, topic:2777”][quote=“Chronos, post:20, topic:2777”]I do currently believe the spending keys cannot be kept encrypted during the minting process. As I understand it, Unlock for Minting Only does protect against another person walking up to the computer and withdrawing the coins, but I think malware that is running in memory on the device could still read the private keys.

Is this correct?[/quote]

Yes.[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying.

I’ll see what I can do.

I’ll see what I can do.[/quote]
We can add the content below, based on Sentinel’s Reddit info. Each section would be accompanied by its logo. However, I prefer the page as it stands, without this content. It adds a lot of text to the page, potentially cluttering it. I’m open to everyone’s thoughts on this.

[hr]

Peerunity is wallet software that is developed and maintained by the Peercoin community. It includes many extra features that the official wallet lacks, such as coin control and one click minting. Future releases will contain a redesigned theme, Peershares integration and a minting tab.

Peershares is an inexpensive and decentralized ledger to be used by businesses for raising funds, tracking share ownership and distributing dividends in an automated fashion. Each business using Peershares has its own blockchain that is independent of all others and secured cheaply and easily using Peercoin’s proof-of-stake.

Peerbox is a secure operating system for minting and running Peercoin nodes, and is currently under active development. It focuses on inexpensive, energy-efficient devices such as the Raspberry Pi, which is compatible with Peercoin’s goal of providing an energy efficient cryptocurrency. If ASIC is a term for dedicated and energy efficient mining, then Peerbox is the ASIC of Proof-of-Stake.

NuBits is a to-be-unveiled project by the creator of Peershares, Jordan Lee. NuBits will be the first implementation of Peershares. It is intended to solve the problem of volatility in cryptocurrencies.

OS usually means operating system. An operating system is a software between computer hardware and computer application programs. Examples are linux, FreeBSD, Windows, iOS etc. So Peerbox is not an OS. It’s a very small fully functional computer with built-in peercoin wallet.

OS usually means operating system. An operating system is a software between computer hardware and computer application programs. Examples are linux, FreeBSD, Windows, iOS etc. So Peerbox is not an OS. It’s a very small fully functional computer with built-in peercoin wallet.[/quote]

Can we verify with Peerchemist that he doesn’t want to call it an OS? I seem to remember him using that term several times.

OS usually means operating system. An operating system is a software between computer hardware and computer application programs. Examples are linux, FreeBSD, Windows, iOS etc. So Peerbox is not an OS. It’s a very small fully functional computer with built-in peercoin wallet.[/quote]

Can we verify with Peerchemist that he doesn’t want to call it an OS? I seem to remember him using that term several times.[/quote]

Yes. I think it would be good to let the team of evey project to review the exec summary.

As for on-going projects, if all goes well, Android wallet(s) will become major additions to the landscape of peercoin software.

Peerbox is an OS (Operating System). It is a device too, since any device loaded with it becomes the Peerbox.
For sake of not confusing people I think it is best to call it OS.