Peercoin Logo Design Contest Fundraising Thread (Completed!)

[size=4]Fundraising is completed![/size]

For those who haven’t been following the logo design thread, we’ve decided to finish off the logo design process by holding a contest on 99designs.com. For those who don’t know about 99designs, you basically offer a cash reward and a whole bunch of designers will make you what you want.

The logo design we’ve been able to come up with over the last month is amazing, but not finalized. The professional designers on this website will be able to take the current design and drastically improve it to a finished form that we can then use for marketing purposes. What we’re shooting for is to have these designers provide us plenty of variations in the current design for us to choose from. We can then use the poll feature on the website to vote for the best design. We’ll need to verify that Sunny King (Peercoin’s Developer) is ok with the design though before we can move on.

Once this logo is out of the way, we can overhaul the website and finally market peercoin to the masses with confidence. In order to do this though, we’ll need to raise $300, which is the cost of the bronze package. I’ve setup a donation page on GoFundMe.com to accomplish this, which is linked below. In order to get this fundraising meter filled as quickly as possible so we can start the contest, I’ll need your help in promoting the donation page around the internet. Here are some things that you can do to help.

Donation Page:
http://www.gofundme.com/ppcoinlogodesignfund

Different Ways you can Help us Promote:

• Ask anyone you know that owns ppc if they could donate some.
  • Keep the BitcoinTalk.org Promotion Thread bumped for maximum exposure.
  • Tell people about it on the BTC-E.com chat box. (Plenty of people in there.)
  • Post it on ppc related Facebook pages.
  • Post about it on ppc related YouTube videos. Just search and leave comments.
  • Tell people that finishing the logo and website could help raise ppc’s value.

Has anybody helped to promote this yet? I can’t believe we’re still at $35 after posting about this on the subreddit for ppcoin last night. This might take longer than I thought. I’m at work tonight myself, but I can help spread this on the weekend.

Mr positive says:
Well I added the subdomain here to show my support for trying to raise this funds http://donate.ppcointalk.org/ and i’m looking into adding it to the site here somewhere, and making that a better page of explanation…
Also its only one day give it time… will need to press the matter and comment on it and explain / sell it to new people to get involved etc

Mr negative says:
Well i don’t mean to be a downer but this does not surprise me too much as I think you will find it hard to raise much $$ for projects like this… is partly why devcoin ran bounty rewards in devcoin for their submissions of logos and a lot of other coins do this… It seems to be the way of the crypto communities … they are generally broke or looking to get coins and money rather than spend it…
Also I think you would have success if the payment was in PPCoins as that what we trying to promote etc… same way as BFL took BTC to promote the use of BTC at the start of selling their ASIC preorders… (sorry couldn’t resist dropping BFL in as an example under mr negative point of view!)

anyways give it time… and yes keep pressing people in here to promote the coin… with all the alt coins out there atm its hard to convince people there is more than BTC, and what is next… talk about LTC? then PPC? i find people tend to be switched off / lost in too many coins if they never heard about BTC… sorry rambling but hopefully u see a few of the possible challenges ahead of such a venture

one idea…

you could do a promotion of anyone who donates say over $100 will get the amount in PPC? or a token PPC bounty??

possibly 1st donation over $50 gets 500ppc,
2nd over $50 gets 250PPC etc etc??

I haven’t had time to read your post, but I will. Can anyone confirm though whether they can see my post on the ppcoin subreddit? For some reason I can only see it in the list when I’m logged in. When I log out it vanishes.

Its not there. I followed your link from bitcointalk to it, but reddit can be really weird about that. It will probably show up 4-5 days later. I can rarely ever post anything to reddit, maybe because I don’t post links enough and get caught in spamfilters, idk.

Its not there. I followed your link from bitcointalk to it, but reddit can be really weird about that. It will probably show up 4-5 days later. I can rarely ever post anything to reddit, maybe because I don’t post links enough and get caught in spamfilters, idk.[/quote]

Ok, that must be one of the reasons why nobody knows about it, lol. Somebody posted in it so I assumed it was visible and it was just on my end, but then you made me realize that person could have just followed the link I posted. I guess I’ll just have to wait for it to appear. Is that what usually happens? It gets hung up for several days, or are you just guessing? I’m contemplating on whether I should try reposting.

It happens to me sometimes, but other users have no problems, its a reddit problem for me, not a r/ppcoin problem. Usually they appear after time, but sometimes instantly. I honestly don’t get it. I don’t think its a moderation issue or anything of the like.

We’re at $85 now. Moving on up!

Also, somebody at the BitcoinTalk thread I made questioned whether I am legit because of my registration date. I responded that I have a long history with RonPaulForums.com and that the moderator there hazek knows me over there and can vouch for me. I sent hazek a PM about it, but have to wait until he comes online. Hopefully he can help me.

I searched for an answer and it said I was most likely caught in the spam filter and that it happens sometimes, especially if I’ve never posted on that subreddit before. It said to message the moderators of the subreddit to release my posts. I did that last night and it seems to have worked. I can see the post when I’m logged out now.

Something quick you guys can do to help out is to vote up the thread on Reddit. Here is the thread…

http://www.reddit.com/r/ppcoin/comments/1fu374/peercoin_logo_design_contest_fundraising/

It would be good to donate with PPC or BTC.

Perhaps someone with a paypal account could set up a donation address in PPC and BTC, convert the balance from time to time to fiat and donate it in fiat? Just an idea. Must be a person with high trust level.

For those who are concerned about my trustworthiness, Bitcointalk moderator hazek made a post talking about some of our past history together, if that makes anyone feel better about donating.

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:4, topic:122”]one idea…

you could do a promotion of anyone who donates say over $100 will get the amount in PPC? or a token PPC bounty??

possibly 1st donation over $50 gets 500ppc,
2nd over $50 gets 250PPC etc etc??[/quote]

I’m not sure I understand this. If I had a lot of ppc to give out to people in exchange for dollar donations, why wouldn’t I just convert my ppc to cash and pay for the contest myself. Please correct me if I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying.

[quote=“d5000, post:11, topic:122”]It would be good to donate with PPC or BTC.

Perhaps someone with a paypal account could set up a donation address in PPC and BTC, convert the balance from time to time to fiat and donate it in fiat? Just an idea. Must be a person with high trust level.[/quote]

I like this idea. I think we’d have a much easier time with this if we could collect cryptocoins and convert them, but how exactly would people know how much ppc or btc has already been raised so far? The website I chose shows a meter and how much has already been donated. Would this just be blind donating, or is there a way to see how much ppc has already been raised? I myself wouldn’t want to donate to somebody unless I knew if they had or hadn’t reached their goal target yet. They could be pocketing money without us knowing about it.

Well, I posted my question in a couple places, but it seems things have been pretty slow. Check the main BitcoinTalk thread for an updated version of my question about accepting btc and ppc. I also mentioned that I think somebody else other than me should handle that part of it, preferably somebody more well known and trusted. Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

If the donations go to a newly created PPC address and the address stays the same over the donation process, everyone interested in the amount already donated could use simply the Cryptocoin Explorer (http://ppc.cryptocoinexplorer.com) and insert the donation address there. Balance and transactions to this address are shown then. With BTC it would work the same way with http://blockchain.info.

I think several people on BitcoinTalk may have convinced me that we’re shooting for the wrong design package, so I need some opinions. First off, I originally chose the $800 package simply because it offered the best options and because I didn’t think it would be a big deal to raise that much, but I guess I was wrong. Now that I’m rethinking it, the $299 bronze package seems better suited for what we’re trying to accomplish here.

I mean, we pretty much have the logo nailed down already. Just look at the last couple designs displayed on the donation page. They’re all pretty similar looking and look great. They just need to be finalized. Maybe $800 would make a little more sense if we were starting the logo from scratch, but we’re not. I think all we really need are more and better quality variations of the current design for people to choose from, just to finish off what we started. That can probably be achieved for $299, plus it will be a lot easier to raise.

What do you think? If you guys agree then I’ll change the goal. I just don’t want to do it without asking first, since people have already donated.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:16, topic:122”]Now that I’m rethinking it, the $299 bronze package seems better suited for what we’re trying to accomplish here.

I mean, we pretty much have the logo nailed down already. Just look at the last couple designs displayed on the donation page. They’re all pretty similar looking and look great. They just need to be finalized.[/quote]

If we go for totally new designs then we’d be starting at ground zero. Picking a more achievable funding goal will help get it wrapped up sooner. Finalizing the logo lets so many other things go ahead. Really what’s more important than even the 99designs thing is setting a goalpost to get this done. Someone needs to decisively say what it will be and right now I’d say either you or Sunny are in a strong position to do that. Obviously if Sunny really disliked your decision that would throw it up in the air. However what you need to do is say “Following the 99designs effort we will pick the best option, verify that Sunny is ok with it and make that the official logo.”

Don’t leave more room for delays. Crowdsourcing a name or a logo is an infinite loop and will never complete on its own. I’ve seen this in online communities before. Meanwhile PPC’s competitors are closing the gap every day.

Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of. We don’t have the time to be dilly dallying. We need to finish this up as soon as possible…Anyway, after getting the ok from several others as well as some people who have already donated, I’ve officially changed the goal from $800 to $300. I also altered the text in the first post and the donation page to reflect the new focus.

d5000 asked me to include the logo without the leaf in it on the donation page, so I added that and the all gold one…

He and another person made these comments…

This is something I was thinking also, but never really mentioned it until now. Right now incorporating the leaf into the logo makes sense because we’re trying to convey its eco-friendliness and energy efficiency compared to Bitcoin, but what about in the future?

What if Peercoin rises to the top in the end? At that point, would there be any reason to still have the leaf in the logo? Bitcoin may be outdated by then and there wouldn’t be any more coins that are energy hogs. There wouldn’t be a reason at that point to convey that it’s eco-friendly, because that might be the norm. The logo wouldn’t make sense anymore and wouldn’t stand the test of time…unless we were willing to change the logo in the far future to remove the leaf when it’s necessary to do so.

Removing the leaf would put the primary focus on the PP symbol and any messaging that could become outdated with time would be gone. Bitcoin and Litecoin followed this model. There’s nothing in the designs that I can see of that could become outdated. The coin logos mainly focus on the B or L symbol without any other messaging that could lose its meaning over time. Maybe we should follow their lead.

Today I’ve been going around Facebook and ppcoin youtube videos and posting about this. Hopefully that will lead a couple people here.

Also, is there anyone here that can try posting a link to this thread on the ppcoin subreddit? Nothing I do works. My posts just don’t show up and the moderators over there won’t answer my replies. It’s like they don’t care. Can anyone help?