Peercoin History Book 2012-2019

I’ll PM you

Please show appreciation for the work I have done by donating to the multi-sig PPC address:

pTifZS4ufNzGo5g4AMVMVtyzVhpSwtSQjT

As I keep reiterating, the process of research and content writing has been extremely demanding. I am sure it will be a great resource for the community, especially newbies :smiley:

1 Like

reserved

3 Likes

Nice man. Please give me links that I can post about so users can best support you and your work. Is this going on Amazon books again?

Yes, it will be published on Amazon soon. I will provide all relevant links thereafter.

btw

In order to prevent minters with high “coin age” from dominating the process,
protocol code rules exist:
• Minters must hold the coins for at least 30 days before being eligible to mint.
• After participating coins from a minter have been used to mint a new block, their “coin age” is reset back to zero.

Coin age is also maxed at 90 days to prevent users to sit on mature transactions for malicious 51% type attacks.

Not going to nitpick as we did just have a protocol change, but some of this stuff has been in place since launch.

1 Like

I can read it this weekend. Thanks for your massive effort on this!

3 Likes

Please say when you have read and reviewed the book. I can then proceed to the publication stage.

1 Like

I should probably be done by tomorrow sometime.

2 Likes

I’ve started reading, but won’t be finished today. Hopefully by Tuesday, or Wed at the latest.

1 Like

In page 48 it says that I introduced my own logo design. This is only partially correct. User Mjbmonetarymetals created the design and introduced it here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101820.msg2066815#msg2066815

I slightly altered his design by connecting IP at the top to make it look more like PP. That was done here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101820.msg2068559#msg2068559

I just finished reading through the first part…

Page 48:

Chose in these two sentences should be choose.

Page 50:

The user name is actually whifmoi.

Page 53:

The word besides should drop the s at the end.

Page 55:

Lightning should probably be removed from this list. He was never really part of this community. He mainly acted as my graphic designer, who I would reach out to from time to time to create logos for us. I would pay him for his services, so it was not volunteer work and I don’t think he owns any PPC.

Page 69:

Insert “the” in between of and community.

Page 83:

Insert “year” in between first and history.

Page 84:

I think you meant to say DEX here and not DEC. Also I checked and it seems the website launched on this date: **MANDATORY UPGRADE REQUIRED** [ANN] B&C Exchange - All users must upgrade

B&C Exchange was never completed, so it never actually launched. Development stalled once the NuBits dollar peg collapsed. You could mention that it was planned to be the 2nd implementation of Peershares after NuBits.

I’ll continue reading. Sorry it is taking me longer than expected. Quality work so far though!

1 Like

Page 99:

I’m pretty sure it was the same Rocket Chat service. It was just the domain name that had changed.

Page 108:

This is true, however FuzzyBear did not complete the task and left the community shortly after. Sigmike is ultimately the developer who implemented the design.

Page 109:

This does not seem to be too important, plus the text snippet used after is a little immature. Is there a good reason for including mention of this article?

Page 115:

This sentence sounds like it may be missing words. Did you mean to say as the chart shows?

Page 122

The Foundation logo here seems kinda low-res. Maybe it would make more sense to use the banner with the green backgound currently on the website here: Peercoin — The Pioneer of Proof-of-Stake

Page 127:

Solled was not actually hired as a paid employee or contractor. The board simply voted for him to have this responsibility. It is a volunteer role which he accepted.

Issue sounds like it needs an s at the end of it. Also does there really need to be a comma before the word code? Not sure if that’s right or not.

Page 131:

Maybe say that it was submitted by Nagalim.

Ending

Instead of ending the main content about a small exchange adding Peercoin trading, I think it would make more sense to end with the announcement that we were beginning testing on v0.8. As you know this upgrade will finally bring Peercoin close to being current with Bitcoin, so I think it’s nice to end on a teaser for the future: Peercoin v0.8~RC1 Released for Testing

Overall great job! Thanks for the time you spent on this project!

1 Like

Thank you for reading through the book :slight_smile:

I will act on the feedback above. An updated PDF will be posted as soon as I can.

Book cover quote:
AFTER TEN MONTHS OF RESEARCH, SUNNY KING AND SCOTT NADAL LAUNCHED THE
PEERCOIN BLOCKCHAIN ON 19TH AUGUST 2012. THEY HAD INVENTED THE PROOF OF STAKE CONSENSUS MECHANISM AS THE WAY IN WHICH TO SECURE THE NETWORK PROTOCOL

Replace INVENTED by IMPLEMENTED

There were some discussions about Proof-of-Stake as a consensus system on Bitcointalk in 2011. So Sunny king and Scott Nadal didn’t invent it, but they coded the first implementation.

Here is a link from July 2011:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27787.0

1 Like

Thank you Otzi :smiley:

I will give the team time to check for any other errors before publication.

Invented, as nobody has described how to implement the PoS system.

Sunny did an interview where he said that he and Scott implemented PoS without knowing about the discussion that was taking place on Bitcointalk.

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/the-real-sunny

1 Like

Wow Tyke I just scrolled through the sample and it looks incredible!

I’ll send a donation your way, thankyou very much for this, I’ll be sure to read through the whole book.

This is the sort of stuff that will help to keep our Coin to remain relevant, the place in crypto history.

3 Likes

@dirkmirk thank you for your high praise.