Peerbox-raspi-v0.22 discussion thread

Peerbox v0.22 is ready.

It includes a lot of changes, some of them are pretty heavy on inside but invisible to user, others are new user tools like peerbox-info and mintbox. Those user tools are just a beginning of torrent of tools I have in plan to make Peerbox experience better for end user.
Plan is to complete Peerbox-core by v0.3, creating consistent and reliable platform for extensions.
v0.22 will be one of those that complete Peerbox-core and enable creation of tools to extend functionality. However I can not guarantee consistency now, so expect changes and “hard forks” from now on until v0.3.
This release is a “hard fork” too, so do not update, flash it as new.

[size=12pt]Changes:[/size]

[size=10pt]Core:[/size]

• I have “hacked” glibc package to remove hard dependency on filesystem>2013.07 which was stopping me to replace vanilla ArchLinux filesystem package with custom made filesystem-peerbox.
    Now original filesystem is completely replaced with filesystem-peerbox.
    Issues like this call for more robust solution, and that is complete Peerbox repository.
    However this is not piece of cake, I need quite some time to replicate full repository and tailor it to needs of Peerbox.
    If you check the Peerbox git, you’ll see increasing number of packages. Project was started with mere 6 packages, and look now, we are @ 23.

• Image is now 100MB smaller;
    This is to ensure compatibility with broken and end-of-life 2GB SD-cards.

[size=10pt]
User tools:
[/size]

• Peerbox-info;

This package went trough complete redesign to enable more functionality.
There is a thread dedicated for this package: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3313.0

• Mintbox;

This is a very simple script to help people that want to mint on their Peerbox.
It is a very basic wrapper around “ppcoind walletpasshprase …”.
Enter “mintbox” in console and it will ask you for wallet passphrase and unlock it.

It is very basic for now, as minting is still not recommended on Peerbox. But, there it is to ease your life.

• ppcoind-blockchain

Packaged blockchain, not quite like bitcoin’s bootstrap.dat but a poor man’s solution to this problem.
There is a thread: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3338.0

** I does not come by default **

[center]###################[/center]

download: http://peerbox.me/download/peerbox-raspi-v0.22.img.xz

[size=8pt]sha256: 41baa7aa7d78538467b16891fba3047b79ad9d15ba200663426dc05db573936f[/size]

I will update official thread in 12h.

This is for early birds who want to play with it during the weekend.

Great work as always!

I will put up the mirror tonight.

here it is:

www.coinno.de/mirror/peerbox-raspi-v0.22.img.gz

[quote=“willywithcoinnode, post:4, topic:2854”]here it is:

www.coinno.de/mirror/peerbox-raspi-v0.22.img.gz[/quote]

thank you.

Did you try the new image? Do you like peerbox-info?

I’ll do it on tuesday!

Is the linux for v0.22 greatly stripped down compared with that for 0.21?

No, everything is the same just there was some extra space.

p.s.

Sorry for edit, I pressed “Modify” instead of quote.

My node is running on 0.22 now. I backed up my /var/lib/ppcoind and restored it after reflashed the SD card with new image.

I wish the root directory has enough free space to put tar file of /var/lib/ppcoind, which needs 330MB. v0.21 had enough space. v0.22 doesn’t.
How to accesss a plugged in USB stick from peerbox? I am moving tar files in and out of peerbox using sftp

When I tried mintbox I got “something went wrong”. walletpassphrase command worked.

[quote=“mhps, post:9, topic:2854”]My node is running on 0.22 now. I backed up my /var/lib/ppcoind and restored it after reflashed the SD card with new image.

I wish the root directory has enough free space to put tar file of /var/lib/ppcoind, which needs 330MB. v0.21 had enough space. v0.22 doesn’t.
How to accesss a plugged in USB stick from peerbox? I am moving tar files in and out of peerbox using sftp

When I tried mintbox I got “something went wrong”. walletpassphrase command worked.[/quote]

Thank you.

Fix for mintbox is issued:

sudo pacman -Sy mintbox

to update package.

Space on partition:

Sorry, I expected users will mount SD on their PC and do backup there by copying into ppcoind partition.
I next release I will make sure there is at least 350mb free on root partition.

Usb stick:

Standard procedure for mounting disks from Linux command line and without Desktop Environment:

Can anyone test status of upnp with this release please?

Just tried it. It worked.

[u]Space on partition:[/u]

Sorry, I expected users will mount SD on their PC and do backup there by copying into ppcoind partition.

I didn’t even know it is possible. Still, using tar to restore and backup is nice – tar preserves the ownership and permissions of the files and directory.

Usb stick:[/u]

Standard procedure for mounting disks from Linux command line and without Desktop Environment:

command line - How to access a usb flash drive from the terminal? - Ask Ubuntu

Thanks. Will try it later. That could solve the space problem.

I’ve a problem with minting on peerbox, I believe that the broblem are special characters in my passphrase:

On peercoin-qt gui I’ve never had a problem entering my passphrase for minting in the console

when I enter it in the command line as

[center]ppcoind walletpassphrase my_passphrase 9999999999 true[/center]

I always get a message saying that my passphrase is wrong, I’ve tried also to enclose it in quotation marks as

[center]ppcoind walletpassphrase “my_passphrase” 9999999999 true[/center]

Do you have any advice on how I can get it working?

[quote=“GLock, post:13, topic:2854”]I’ve a problem with minting on peerbox, I believe that the broblem are special characters in my passphrase:

On peercoin-qt gui I’ve never had a problem entering my passphrase for minting in the console

I always get a message saying that my passphrase is wrong, I’ve tried also to enclose it in quotation marks as

Do you have any advice on how I can get it working?[/quote]

try using single quote (’) instead of double quote. The mean different things in bash shell.

try using mintbox command

[quote=“mhps, post:14, topic:2854”][quote=“GLock, post:13, topic:2854”]I’ve a problem with minting on peerbox, I believe that the broblem are special characters in my passphrase:

Do you have any advice on how I can get it working?[/quote]

try using single quote (’) instead of double quote. The mean different things in bash shell.

try using mintbox command[/quote]
Using single quote marks (’)worked well, thanks for the advice!

How can I run it on VirtualBox ? After I extract the tar archive I get a 2 GB .img file and VirtualBox doesn’t recognise it to mount as boot live disk.

it is made for ARM cpus, there is a X86 image planned for virtual appliances, methinks, somewhere on the roadmap, maybe ask peerchemist about that :slight_smile:

Ah ok. Thanks. So this Peerbox implementation is intended purely for Raspberry Pi s ?

Ah ok. Thanks. So this Peerbox implementation is intended purely for Raspberry Pi s ?[/quote]

yes