Peerbox-kvm pre-release

It is finally ready to be released. I intended to reach feature - parity with peerbox-raspi but I have lost too much time on kernel config and some other quirks so I have decided to release it like this. What it lacks is peerbox-info and upnp is broken, however upnp does not work due to network configuration of the host. I will deal with that in the future.

This port of Peerbox is primary intended to ease development for Peerbox, as it is far easier to work on this emulated machine than on Raspberry Pi for example, due to performance mostly.
Please not that this is x86_64 OS!

[center]Download: http://peerbox.me/download/peerbox-kvm.qcow2.xz

[size=8pt]sha256: dba6dc3ac8b41ca214746e3a6cedbcef9304018148a149def2b5959f3bdad71a
[/size][/center]

[center]probably faster mirror: http://coinno.de/mirror/peerbox-kvm.qcow2.xz[/center]

[size=12pt]Now, let me explain what is this.[/size]

This is Peerbox running on KVM virtualization as Guest. This enables users who do not own Raspberry Pi to run Peerbox on their computer without loosing any of security features that Peerbox delivers. You can see this as parasite Operating System that runs in parallel with your OS and it is almost completely detached (isolated) from it.
KVM is virtualization solution for Linux. It is native to Linux and works only on Linux, it provides almost seamless and effortless way to run guest OS with almost zero performance penalty. It is perfect way to deliver something like this.
KVM’s native format (.qcow2) can easily be converted to VirtualBox/VMware/Hyper-V so this is logical starting point to cover all the virtualization platforms and enable those who don’t use Linux to run it with ease.
After final release is finished I will deliver images for all popular virtualization solutions so anyone can run it on their PC regardless of platform.

To clear things up, read this:

Easiest way to run this is via Gnome-boxes (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/gnome-boxes-easy-way-set-virtual-machines-linux/)
It features very elegant and minimal interface optimized for ease of use. You only need to import image you download!
Power users should however use virt-manager from RedHat since Gnome-boxes lacks many features.
I can not teach you how to install Gnome-boxes since I probably use different distribution than most of you but simple google search about Gnome-boxes + “name of distro” will set you on the right tracks.

Here you can see Peerbox-kvm running on Gnome-boxes on my machine: http://imgur.com/a/p5C9l

As always, download, test, and report any issues/ideas here.
Thanks.

My SHA256 checksum is c897061473edda6ffcb12653c771bbdac6ad7c786499e8577103c871 :confused:

Pfff, I’ve used sha224sum >_<

sha256sum peerbox-kvm.qcow2.xz 

dba6dc3ac8b41ca214746e3a6cedbcef9304018148a149def2b5959f3bdad71a

Can you please check again?

Some remarks:

[ul][li]You’re using a 64-bit Kernel. Raspberry Pi is 32-bit[/li]
[li]No /sbin/ifconfig[/li]
[li]No operational ethernet interface at boot (networkctl): enp0s3 ether n/a n/a[/li][/ul]

???

[quote=“Thireus, post:4, topic:3098”]Some remarks:

[ul][li]You’re using a 64-bit Kernel. Raspberry Pi is 32-bit[/li]
[li]No /sbin/ifconfig[/li]
[li]No operational ethernet interface at boot (networkctl): enp0s3 ether n/a n/a[/li][/ul]

???[/quote]

You're using a 64-bit Kernel. Raspberry Pi is 32-bit

I’m sorry but you have misunderstood something. Why should this use 32bit kernel? It is 64bit OS. It is not meant to be compatible with Raspberry Pi, this is for use on KVM hypervisor.

No /sbin/ifconfig

This tool has been deprecated (obsolete) for several years now, at least on ArchLinux. For some reason ArchLinux Arm (peerbox-raspi) is still shipped with it and I did not want to remove it. However this KVM image is based on mainline ArchLinux where this tool is updated with more modern tools in 2011.

More info: Arch Linux - News: Deprecation of net-tools, No ifconfig Package? / Applications & Desktop Environments / Arch Linux Forums, New Linux commands for old habbits

No operational ethernet interface at boot (networkctl): enp0s3 ether n/a n/a

I will need more info on this however.

Can you check output of:

ip link

And

sudo systemctl status dhcpcd@eth0.service

Thanks.

Thank you for those details. Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this KVM image.

I thought you created it to bring a testing/dev copy of the RPI images that you distribute on a Virtual Env for testing purpose. A bit like a testing environment like we see in today’s development process (i.e. Dalvik VM).

[quote=“Thireus, post:6, topic:3098”]Thank you for those details. Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this KVM image.

I thought you created it to bring a testing/dev copy of the RPI images that you distribute on a Virtual Env for testing purpose. A bit like a testing environment like we see in today’s development process (i.e. Dalvik VM).[/quote]

The two editions should eventually reach feature-parity so yes, this is can be used to bring testing/development to PC. But main goal is to deliver Peerbox functionality to other platforms.
If one does not own Raspberry Pi it is still possible to enjoy safety of Peerbox on the PC.

Ok thank you for clarifying this, I will reconsider my testing approach.