Overstock - big media attention!

We need to get Peershares on this wiki ASAP: https://o.info/index.php/How_to_issue_a_cryptosecurity

(I’m very busy at work right now or I would attempt it myself!)

Wow this is really cool. A fair and brief interpretation of the available cryptosecurity options.

Peershares needs to be on there!!! like now …

FYI - I should have added to the first post Wired has a big article referencing this initiative at Overstock.com today!

I’m in meetings all day and can’t get to a computer.

It would be great if a member of Jordan’s team could jump on this one. They have the most expertise on Peershares, since they are using it as a platform for NuBits.

Wait what? I see Peershares listed there :smiley:
https://o.info/index.php/How_to_issue_a_cryptosecurity#Peershares

[quote=“pillow, post:5, topic:2732”]Wait what? I see Peershares listed there :smiley:
https://o.info/index.php/How_to_issue_a_cryptosecurity#Peershares[/quote]

That was quick. Peershares is now listed. Yay! ;D

[quote=“pillow, post:5, topic:2732”]Wait what? I see Peershares listed there :smiley:
https://o.info/index.php/How_to_issue_a_cryptosecurity#Peershares[/quote]

Is this wiki open for anyone to edit? Are there anymore benefits that we know of that can be listed for Peershares?

For example, each Peershares blockchain will be extremely small to download because they’re completely separate from the main Peercoin blockchain correct? (Note: I’m not an expert on how it works) Also, what about fees? Anything else we can list?

The wiki indicates that voting is a desired feature for the platform Overstock chooses. Peershares does not have this today, but the NuBits project has an excellent system for voting on motions implemented and passing unit tests. We have intended to move the code into the open source Peershares template but have not prioritized that yet. If Overstock demonstrates interest in Peershares we can prioritize merging in that motions voting system.

A motion with any type of content is composed and a hash of it is generated. To vote for it, a user enters the hash in their client. When they mint a block the hash is placed on the blockchain. The client tracks the number of blocks that have voted for each motion over the last x number of blocks.

[quote=“Jordan Lee, post:8, topic:2732”]The wiki indicates that voting is a desired feature for the platform Overstock chooses. Peershares does not have this today, but the NuBits project has an excellent system for voting on motions implemented and passing unit tests. We have intended to move the code into the open source Peershares template but have not prioritized that yet. If Overstock demonstrates interest in Peershares we can prioritize merging in that motions voting system.

A motion with any type of content is composed and a hash of it is generated. To vote for it, a user enters the hash in their client. When they mint a block the hash is placed on the blockchain. The client tracks the number of blocks that have voted for each motion over the last x number of blocks.[/quote]

Jordan, just an idea but maybe you should think about offering Patrick byrne some NuBits shares at a discounted rate, or maybe even for free. Attracting someone with as much influence as him to your project would be a huge deal. Not sure if this is a good idea or not. Just putting it out there to see what people thought. Also, the decision is entirely up to you. It could be a way to get him to notice NuBits. I could reach out to him through Twitter, unless you already have contact with him through the email address he posted on Reddit a while ago.

Thank you to whoever updated the wiki so quickly! I think it’s very helpful just to have the Peershares name visible at this stage. Clearly we are still a long way off before major corporations start seriously considering blockchain IPOs, but in the meantime I think there is a lot that can be done with Peershares on a somewhat smaller scale. Pending the release of Nubits, only a few real-world implementations of Peershares are needed to place it well above the competition.

Two ideas that come immediately to mind would be:

1. A personal loan in which payments are proportionally distributed to lenders according to a monthly schedule until paid-off. Peer loans (such as LendingClub, Prosper, etc.) are becoming very popular in the United States and garnering lots of media attention. The advantage of Peershares is the lack of overhead and the fact that each peer lender would have the option to run a node to verify fairness. We need just a few small-scale examples of this sort of thing - perhaps among trusted members of this community - to prove the concept and illustrate the efficiency and strength of the Peershares platform.

2. A crowdfunding project similar to Kickstarter in which shares are redeemable for a future product. Peershares would add the very interesting possibility of a secondary market for the “product voucher” shares. Speculators could buy many shares upfront with the goal of selling for a profit later as the project reaches completion. This could be a very small project to begin with. Again, all we need are a few real-world examples of Peershares in action to stand out above the others.

Does anybody need a loan?

I thought Peershares wouldn’t work for extremely small implementations. Are these examples large enough to work with it?

I though if you run your own node two continuously running nodes are needed to have a peershares network going. Sure it’s not decentralized. Can someone (dis)confirm?

[quote=“Jordan Lee, post:8, topic:2732”]The wiki indicates that voting is a desired feature for the platform Overstock chooses. Peershares does not have this today, but the NuBits project has an excellent system for voting on motions implemented and passing unit tests. We have intended to move the code into the open source Peershares template but have not prioritized that yet. If Overstock demonstrates interest in Peershares we can prioritize merging in that motions voting system.

A motion with any type of content is composed and a hash of it is generated. To vote for it, a user enters the hash in their client. When they mint a block the hash is placed on the blockchain. The client tracks the number of blocks that have voted for each motion over the last x number of blocks.[/quote]
Excellent, motions. Why not add this information to the wiki under voting? NXT mentions their voting system as not available. So I think Peershares should also list this (as ‘available on request’).

I meant to post here sooner. In case you were wondering, I added Peershares and have made the majority of the edits. Thanks learnmore for bringing it up.

I have added the bit from Jordan on voting, as well as a comment I saw from CoinGame on reddit. I hope this is ok, I have been careful not to mention NuBits because I wasn’t sure if you would want that or not.

Let me know if you want to remove or add anything. I’m obviously not an expert but just took information from the website and github. Or you can edit it yourself since it is a wiki :wink:

The wiki is getting a bit crazy now anyway and not everyone is playing nice. I think it is just good to have Peershares listed there. Judging by edits by others, very few seem to have a basic understanding of how it works, or are confusing it with Peercoin.

One of the disadvantages says it can only be used with Peercoins. Isn’t this untrue? I thought the template could be modified to distribute dividends using any crypto?

Someone else added that in. I checked through the website and github wiki. Everything I saw related to dividends mentioned only Peercoin, so I didn’t dispute it.

Nice work, river333. The importance of this cannot be underestimated.

Someone else added that in. I checked through the website and github wiki. Everything I saw related to dividends mentioned only Peercoin, so I didn’t dispute it.[/quote]

Well I believe Jordan said this in the original Peershares thread. Maybe look through there for confirmation.

Someone else added that in. I checked through the website and github wiki. Everything I saw related to dividends mentioned only Peercoin, so I didn’t dispute it.[/quote]

Well I believe Jordan said this in the original Peershares thread. Maybe look through there for confirmation.[/quote]

Ok I found this from Jordan:

Peershare as designed will only distribute dividends in Peercoins. However, it can be easily modified to distribute dividends in other cryptocurrencies, and I expect this will occur.

If it was modified, would it still technically be “Peershares”?

Maybe try PM’ing Jordan to get clarification. I don’t know what would be involved.