Outdated - Peerunity v0.2.0 Released - Supports New Visual Theme & Peercoin v0.5

EDIT: Thread now outdated

Peerunity v0.2.0 has officially been released. If you use Peerunity rather than Peercoin Core, then this is a MANDATORY upgrade. v0.2.0 is compatible with Peercoin v0.5.3 and it supports an all new visual theme with Peercoin branded colors. The DEADLINE to upgrade is April 25th. If you’d like to check out some screenshots of the new theme, click the following link…

[size=18pt]Download Here[/size]

NOTE: OS X version will follow later.

Please like, retweet and support the following announcements so we can make sure this news gets out there…

Thanks for everyone that worked on this, and thanks to Sunny King for the v0.5.3 release. I’ve just tried it out and it appears to work all fine and well. I went ahead and shared/upvoted it.

Though to give my honest option; personally I’m no major fan of the new theme. It’s seems overdone, with colours, font sizes, and a font that is rather hard on the eye. Some of the padding doesn’t seem right to me either. I think it would be better if it kept more closely with the default Qt styling with subtle changes to convey the peerunity branding. I think the theme for Nu works fairly well although isn’t perfect. Nothing will ever please everyone though.

I think some of the font sizes did change from the version that I originally made. The green font seems larger and the gray addresses seem too large. That last one is something that SigmundAlpha must have done, because I didn’t realize it was like that until I downloaded it. Here is the original…

Compared to the version that was released…

I think the original one looks a little better. Here’s what the top of the window looks like on my Linux machine:

You can see the logo has no padding to the left and the font doesn’t have a very consistent weight to the letters. In particular the menu item text is not very good. The jpg has blurred it a bit, it looks worse when sharp on the screen.

I have just downloaded Peerunity 2.0

Thanks to Sentinel and all concerned

When I installed my version on Linux Xubuntu, I don’t remember seeing any padding graphical errors like that. If anybody sees them please report them and what OS you’re using so we can get it fixed in the next version. Screenshots are great. There is also a known issue with the green tooltip text getting cut off.

Also, just so everyone understands, I’m not a graphic designer. This was the best concept I could come up with using paint and with no knowledge of graphic design or which font works best in user interfaces. If anybody has suggestions for improvement then please post them and maybe we can get them into the next release whenever that is.

The Peerunity section of peercoin.net needs to be updated, links version name and client screenshot. Does the screenshot need to have that blur effect around the client? I have screenshots, but I don’t know if they include the blur. I’d have to see if my client has the blur when I get home later. If it does then I’ll take another screenshot for us to use.

I’m using SolydK with KDE 4.14.2. I built peerunity from source, and my Qt version is 4.8.6. I might try the binary from the tar later to see if any problems go away.

Unfortunately I’m no graphic designer either, and I have little knowledge of Qt.

i am no graphic designer either. But it can be done with gimp: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/63972/how-do-i-extend-an-image-by-adding-blur-to-sides

or alternatively it is possible to put https://i.imgur.com/afZRelt.png over https://peercoin.net/assets/img/downloads/peerunity_ss_mac.png and no one will ever notice

Blur is graphic UI effect from Mac OS X. Screenshot was taken on OS X, and that is why it has that blur.

Gratz and Kudos to the Peerunity team ;D

I have 1500 ppc in a wallet minting.

So I have zero trust that the update will work. (with the coins in the wallet)

I pulled my coins and ended the minting.

I am now going to do the up date with about .3 coins in the wallet.

See what happens.

Then put the coins back in.

My complaint is simple I had minted for 20 days and will be set back to day 1.

IS this going to become a monthly thing?

As I was just looking to let the coins sit and mint as a hedge against the ½ ing of BTC

Now looks like I can’t do this.

And of course no mac version as of today.
I prefer mac as It is really easy to back the wallet up.

you dont have to be set back to day 1 by sending them out.
just make a copy of wallet.dat file.
In addition, you can do dumpprivkey your addresses and store them on keepassx as an extra backup.

I have virtualbox installed running a linux image, so a osx version is a nice to have but not limiting as I like to keep things separate anyways.

while nice …

I have mine setup on a mac with multiple clones of the entire hard drive.
This avoids danger of crashed hard drive or a burnt mobo

as the clones work on all three of my macminis.

So I a) don’t have a new 5.3 to upgrade with and the way this is written I need to change before the 25th of April.

Not to complain but the change makes minting far less attractive to me.

Common sense dictates at least 90 day notice for the forced changed. I sent off my coins and sold then all at bittrex because of the way this was announced.

If I was given ninety day notice and a mac upgrade was issued alongside the other updates it would be easier to do this.

As I said I know some mac ways to back my wallet up that are surely better then any windows setup.

and while I do run linux pc I am not a wizz at it.

So I set my macmini up made m clones and was happy I could safely store my ppc. with 3 hdd clones and 3 mac minis not mechanical fails can happen.

SO of course a forced update (with an anti mac bias) has caused me to bail from this coin.

no reason to release partial forced updates for a coin touted as a minting coin

Basically this update fully negates a perfect back up system for macs if you want to mint on a mac.

Oh well.

[quote=“philipma1957, post:14, topic:3824”]Common sense dictates at least 90 day notice for the forced changed. I sent off my coins and sold then all at bittrex because of the way this was announced.
If I was given ninety day notice and a mac upgrade was issued alongside the other updates it would be easier to do this.[/quote]

I was made aware of the mandatory upgrade by reading Sunny King’s consistent weekly updates.

Backing up your wallet on windows or linux using the Peerunity client is straightforward. Find the toolbar and go to File>Backup Wallet.
Where you store the backup is up to your own discretion.

[quote=“philipma1957, post:14, topic:3824”]SO of course a forced update (with an anti mac bias) has caused me to bail from this coin.
no reason to release partial forced updates for a coin touted as a minting coin[/quote]
The updating process doesn’t affect the coin age you’ve accumulated because there is no need to transact with your coins.
Transacting would destroy the coin age you’ve accumulated for no reason. A simple backup before updating will suffice.

it does not look like there will be a mac version by april 25th so i am confused as to what i should do. Im thinking of selling my coins or more likely putting them into cold storage until i get access to a V0.5 wallet sometime in the future.

[quote=“saeveritt, post:15, topic:3824”][quote=“philipma1957, post:14, topic:3824”]Common sense dictates at least 90 day notice for the forced changed. I sent off my coins and sold then all at bittrex because of the way this was announced.
If I was given ninety day notice and a mac upgrade was issued alongside the other updates it would be easier to do this.[/quote]

I was made aware of the mandatory upgrade by reading Sunny King’s consistent weekly updates.

Backing up your wallet on windows or linux using the Peerunity client is straightforward. Find the toolbar and go to File>Backup Wallet.
Where you store the backup is up to your own discretion.

[quote=“philipma1957, post:14, topic:3824”]SO of course a forced update (with an anti mac bias) has caused me to bail from this coin.
no reason to release partial forced updates for a coin touted as a minting coin[/quote]
The updating process doesn’t affect the coin age you’ve accumulated because there is no need to transact with your coins.
Transacting would destroy the coin age you’ve accumulated for no reason. A simple backup before updating will suffice.[/quote]

I understand your desire to defend the coin. I respect that.

Sadly for me this coin won’t work as a passive investment and hedge coin . Due to the method of updating from 5.2 to 5.3

My first awareness of the update was on Saturday the 16th of April.
I check my minting at least two time a day on my mac version of peerunity 5.2

Here was my first notice

Upgrade to v0.5.3 or compatible required before April 25, visit peercointalk.org

that was 9 days notice. Should have been much sooner Since the point of this coin is it mints I do not need to mine or trade I can let it mint.

Once again when I went to load the wallet it was offered in Windows ,Linux and MAC

I know from BTC that perfect mindless save of a wallet by cloning with the software superduper makes mac a good choice.
Far better then any windows backup of wallet.dat

So I went with mac which is not offered at this moment to go to 5.3
so basically for me this coin does not work.
I do wish you luck with it running in windows and or linux.
I am now fully out of the coin other then my 5.2 peerunity wallet with .19 coins

I will look back in a bit and attempt to to save this in the more traditional methods that you mention.

But this was not the way to attract passive investment.

I went from a perfectly backed up wallet minting to a wallet that needs to be fully upgraded in seven days. except the upgrade is not available because I am on mac.

There was no good reason to put windows and linux upgrades up and not mac
There was no good reason to give only nine days notice on my peerunity wallet.

Why do you need to run a full node on your Mac?
https://multicoins.org/ should soon be supporting Peercoin, so transactions for Mac will be available when released.

Just put the coins on a BIP32 encrypted paper wallet, that you can store on your Mac and print several times to store securely.
The great thing about storing on paper is that you should never worry about the software.

By the way, your coins are still safe in the 0.4 client. You can always export the private key when needed.

It’s just like the ethereum I own. I have some, but never opened the client as it doesn’t work on a 32-bit machine. The paper wallet is perfect.

[quote=“hrobeers, post:18, topic:3824”]Why do you need to run a full node on your Mac?
https://multicoins.org/ should soon be supporting Peercoin, so transactions for Mac will be available when released.

Just put the coins on a BIP32 encrypted paper wallet, that you can store on your Mac and print several times to store securely.
The great thing about storing on paper is that you should never worry about the software.

By the way, your coins are still safe in the 0.4 client. You can always export the private key when needed.

It’s just like the ethereum I own. I have some, but never opened the client as it doesn’t work on a 32-bit machine. The paper wallet is perfect.[/quote]

I was minting I had 1570 coins and was at 99.67% to make my mint.

My choice was to mint with 1570 coins this killed it for me.

I am only here to say if you offered a coin for minting

telling us with only 9 days notice in peerunity 5.2 to upgrade was wrong.
The whole idea for me was to buy and hold while minting.

No can do.

Secondly offering windows, linux and mac for 5.2 was nice.

putting the update out with windows and linux no mac not nice.

Simply wait and put out all three at the same time.

@philipma1957 you can try now if you want:

[quote=“backpacker69”]ok guys, here’s my first try: https://rbfi.io/dl.php?key=/HrbQ/Peerunity.dmg

shasum:

7ef9f0a287318fc094c3a419799757e870c74d36[/quote]