(old and replaced) Peercoin-Raspi-0.3.0: Peercoin minting image for raspberry pi

[size=12pt]this version is no longer available[/size]

Please use the automated installer for the new client here:
http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2702.0

-deleted-

-deleted-

-deleted-

It would be great if someone with linux knowledge could verify that there is no evil stuff running in this image :slight_smile:

This is great work thanks :)!

However, since my Rasp PI runs 24/7 with quite a few applications already, I am always a little reluctant to switch SD cards… So I bought a 32GB Kingston card (can recommend it, despite of the price), installed Raspbian on it and usually compile all the programs, that I don’t find in a repository, by myself. Amongst other things I use the mentioned “Valermos”- ppcoind for PoS minting and have a small ASIC rig running with a self-compiled bfgminer.

The setup is somewhat cumbersome indeed, because you need to know the compiler, tools and dependencies… And you need to remember all the steps you have done the next time you need to setup a new SD card.
I think it would be great to have a Raspbian repository, where people can grab the packages via apt-get.

My pleasure! But yeah an apt-get repository would be best ofcourse, it would also solve the whole trust issue around ‘who made this image and why should I trust him’. Still, a complete image also skips the commands you need to type to install the client. I think many people prefer loading a complete image over typing commands.

The only problem with images is the trust issue. It would largely be solved if a trusted member of the peercoin core team would (re)build it, with input from the forum.

There might be quite a few, indeed. But that doesn’t mean that a repository would be useless - as images can be assembled from the repository - and furthermore there are also many (I’d say even more) people, who don’t want to have different images for every program they want to run on the PI. So it would make sense to have a repository with trusted packages (pgp signed) and to provide images that are compilations of these repositories.
The package repository has two more advantages: it is less work for a developer to package a release, because the infrastructure is already there… especially for debian this is tested since 20 years or so and works like a charm. And second, then there would be a chance that ppcoind and ppcoin-qt make it into the official debian release - where they will reach a lot of people very easily :)! By then, the armhf binaries for Raspbian come as a nice side effect with no further work.

Thank you !

You’re welcome! I’m glad people are using it

You can ! It’s a big job you did ! :slight_smile:

updated with some extra info about the email alerting. ssmtp doesnt seem to send mail if you use special characters in your password.

hi Tea,

keep up the good work. I think this is an important step to get more people in PoS minting. I will try your “advanced guide” in a few days, when my pi will be free (currently used for other stuff).

One Question: How did you choose raspbian as operating system? Is there no lightweight and more on security focused operating system available?

Thanks,
Muto

tnx muto! I chose raspbian because it seems to be the most widely used raspberry OS, and because I always liked Debian Linux. With the removal of browsers, sshd and the installation of a firewall it is secure enough for me. In theory an ultra-lightweight OS would be better, but I don’t have the time to go that far :slight_smile:

Ok thx for that. Maybe I will have a look in a ultra secure minting solution after my exams (no time atm). Some kind of readonly image of a really light distribution should be a good way to go. When I find the time and are successfull (I´m neither a Pi, nor a linux pro) I will offcourse share the image and a guide

I compiled v0.3 source code on Raspberry Pi, and then copied the block data to the Pi. However, it failed to run. Was it caused by different data file (format) due to different platform? So now I am syncing the data again.

Will it break my wallet from windows or ubuntu linux?

Yeah the QT client likes to redownload the blockchain when ‘things change’. I’ve never succesfully copied block data to any installed qt client, it always likes to redownload.
Be sure to have a spare copy of your wallet somewhere, so you can always restart your original client on windows or ubuntu. Starting the windows wallet.dat on my raspberry pi worked without issues for me.

When peercoin 0.4 comes out, I will no longer provide a complete image for download. Instead, I’ll provide a guide with links to official download sources, and will try to provide one complete installation script, that will remove unnecessary software from the fresh raspbian image, install all necessary dependencies, copy the downloaded scripts and client sourcecode from usb stick, and handle all necessary configuration and compile commands.
The reason for this is I want to provide a solution where no one has to choose between security and ease of use.

I’ll stick with raspbian because it is the most widely used raspberry OS I know. If there happen to be security issues in the software, these will be adressed quickly by the raspbian community, and can be fixed very fast with an ‘update my system’ desktop item.

Hi,

There is a lot of Raspberry Pi expertise on this thread.

I am hoping some of you guys will help out on a new idea that involves giving PPC tips for new R-Pi Peercoin nodes. We need Raspberry Pi experts.

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2597.new#new

update: the raspbian automated compile&install desktop package for 0.4 is almost finished, but I still have some tidying up to do. I want to run a flawless test on a clean raspbian image before I put it on the forum