NuShares vs the Rest

So, why did NuShares alone (or virtually alone) buck the trend of the last few days’ crash, and shoot up?

Is it seen as the inverse/competitor/hedge of Bitcoin and the other Alts (including Peercoin) - if so, why?

I think it is because Nu has a design that is different from anything else.
Those who look for diversification do well betting on different designs :wink:
And during the times of high volume trading NBT/crypto pairs in a market with highly fluctuating BTC and PPC prices, the peg was kept.
It was a test and Nu passed.
Support has come from the release of the video and the second Android wallet (supporting Nu in addition to the coinomi wallet) that was requested by the NSR holders and is effectively in control of Nu.
Nu is rapidly growing and still doing well.
Maybe more and more people are starting to believe in the success of this experiment and want to participate (economical wise)?

I think there were two reasons:

1. Ben’s interview on Let’s Talk Bitcoin brought on a buying frenzy by raising awareness. See https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/beyond-bitcoin-24-the-second-to-last-a-nu-approach.

2. Momentum (people see the green and want to buy)

well the fact that nbt has maintained its peg during the crash whereas all other cryptos crashed is the primary reason, imho.

because initial shareholders paid nubits to purchase shares so nushares price has a floor that is denominated in nubis or usd. btc can go busted tomorrow and nushare is still holding the same price in usd.

This is very important. Nubits would probably be the only coin not affected by Bitcoin breaking. It’s a usd peg and don’t use proof of work. No other currency is backed by anything else (well not any real decentralized ones I think?!). Anyway a flood of money would flow into both the number coins and shares. This would create the basis for a floor under peercoins helping not be drawn down by the test of the cryptos failing. Just speculation here of course, but I think I’m right about the economics of it.

I think NuBits would be somewhat affected, because the custodial funds are held mostly in BTC, so the peg support funds would be damaged.

Also, BitUSD is a pegged asset backed by Bitshares (BTS), which isn’t bitcoin.

Oh, and Peercoin doesn’t depend on Bitcoin. :wink:

It shouldn’t … but why is Peercoins monetary perception following BTC then?

Something is forcing the PPC price down just to a point, were it’s a bit less profitable to mine than BTC.
Moments were PPC is more profitable to mine than BTC are very rare.

Maybe that’s because PPC is so fun to mine, people do it at a loss, which pushes difficulty up.

This doesn’t make sense to me. Isn’t it like saying that people buy Apple stock with dollars, so Apple stock has a price floor in dollars? Certainly the unit of account used in a past trade doesn’t prevent a company from going bankrupt and becoming worthless.

This doesn’t make sense to me. Isn’t it like saying that people buy Apple stock with dollars, so Apple stock has a price floor in dollars? Certainly the unit of account used in a past trade doesn’t prevent a company from going bankrupt and becoming worthless.[/quote]

I was referring to current situation when initial investment has seen little tear and ware (presumably). The cash and other forms of investment which initial invester provided will of course be used up (exchange loss, rewards, and dividends) as time goes on. The value of initial investment will progressively have less and less weight in the valuation (and share prices) of the company.