******* Nov 6 - Main PR Thread ******* We're LIVE

I think we may see some more activity and traction with commenting within this post: http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/11/mtgox/ - seems that our friend Maximian can’t see the big picture with cryptocurrency, and also contridicts his complaint. I think we need to help him see a little bit of light. Anybody else care to help? :slight_smile:

Good spot, thank you for your involvement, I’m heading over in a bit.

I already tried to, but wired.com suppresses my comments (or maybe there’s something technically wrong with my newly created account?), although they have been waaaaay more constructive (imo) than maximian’s…

For example this one I tried to post (do you think it’s offensive; admittedly it’s partly making fun of maximian’s illy posts, but more than that…):

And another lame copy from the one and only really true Peercoin hater - you have been spamming featureless comments all day trying to save your Bitcoin investment.

Bitcoins's proof-of-work scheme is highly speculative and has yet to be properly validated. However, Bitcoin has an immense monetary base and is accepted at least somewhere. Bla, bla...

You could at least be as creative as to respond to the post in a meaningful way. Although it could be harder than to just copy and paste cants...
This is no argument, it isn't even contradiction. Could you do better if you tried?
There are other crypto coins and not each of them is just a lame copy of Bitcoin. Some are quite innovative. Here's an overview:
LTC because of scrypt as alternate hash algorithm.
PPC has Proof-of-Stake (PoS) and a Bitcoin compliant Proof-of-Work (PoW). Thereby it might profit from Bitcoin ASIC miners that need some chance for positive ROI (the currently skyrocketing difficulty might make a positive ROI hard to achieve). Peercoin offers in long-term a great chance to become important because of PoS and its energy saving concept (compared to Bitcoin which will waste more and more energy.
NVC for being an scrypt coin with PoS.
XPM because it brought the brilliant idea of generating data (while doing the PoW) that might scientifically be useful (or might not be, but at least I see a chance instead of dumb hashing Wink ) to life. This might be the blue print for other crypto coins which try so solve problems with distributed computing while paying you for your computational power by giving you coins. Not every problem can be solved this way, but some np-complete problems might be...

Get it: there's no longer only Bitcoin. Bitcoin is important. All others could only be made because of Bitcoin. But now there is more even if you try to deny it! And Peercoin is - in my opinion one of the most interesting alternate coins!

I already tried to, but wired.com suppresses my comments (or maybe there’s something technically wrong with my newly created account?), although they have been waaaaay more constructive (imo) than maximian’s…

For example this one I tried to post (do you think it’s offensive; admittedly it’s partly making fun of maximian’s illy posts, but more than that…):

[code]
And another lame copy from the one and only really true Peercoin hater - you have been spamming featureless comments all day trying to save your Bitcoin investment.

Bitcoins’s proof-of-work scheme is highly speculative and has yet to be properly validated. However, Bitcoin has an immense monetary base and is accepted at least somewhere. Bla, bla…

You could at least be as creative as to respond to the post in a meaningful way. Although it could be harder than to just copy and paste cants…
This is no argument, it isn’t even contradiction. Could you do better if you tried?
There are other crypto coins and not each of them is just a lame copy of Bitcoin. Some are quite innovative. Here’s an overview:
LTC because of scrypt as alternate hash algorithm.
PPC has Proof-of-Stake (PoS) and a Bitcoin compliant Proof-of-Work (PoW). Thereby it might profit from Bitcoin ASIC miners that need some chance for positive ROI (the currently skyrocketing difficulty might make a positive ROI hard to achieve). Peercoin offers in long-term a great chance to become important because of PoS and its energy saving concept (compared to Bitcoin which will waste more and more energy.
NVC for being an scrypt coin with PoS.
XPM because it brought the brilliant idea of generating data (while doing the PoW) that might scientifically be useful (or might not be, but at least I see a chance instead of dumb hashing Wink ) to life. This might be the blue print for other crypto coins which try so solve problems with distributed computing while paying you for your computational power by giving you coins. Not every problem can be solved this way, but some np-complete problems might be…

Get it: there’s no longer only Bitcoin. Bitcoin is important. All others could only be made because of Bitcoin. But now there is more even if you try to deny it! And Peercoin is - in my opinion one of the most interesting alternate coins!
[/code][/quote]

Wired uses Discus as their commenting medium… in theory, you should have any problems posting the comment. If so, I know that you can oAuth a twitter account and/or connect other social media accounts to it to push the comment through. Keyword(s) in theory.

ITEM #4 is open! Please do so at once.

Done.

Note: Moderator: Please leave this post up - It’s important to have an alternate view for the good of PPC.

[size=12pt]I think first impressions are everything.[/size]

The first time a new person hears about PPC, they don’t want to hear someone saying that PPC is nothing more than a spammer and scam coin on some news website, because of comment spam.

I know people are excited at promoting PPC, but in my opinion, this 72 hour Peercoin PR rush will cause more harm than good.

One interesting thing I came across today, was a couple of Cornell University researchers, who published the results of their theoretical paper talking how Bitcoin is basically broken and could be exploited BEFORE it was peer reviewed.

[the theory claims that people could mine a long length of their own private blockchain in secret, and then connect live to the bitcoin network and have everyone follow their pre-mined longer chain in order to earn more coins]

Since PPC uses Proof-of-stake, this is exactly how PPC is better than Bitcoin.

PPC’s proof of stake wouldn’t let that theoretical exploit be quite so simple.

A properly prepared news release should have been sent to the same media the reported against Bitcoin, and especially all friendly Bitcoin media sites (like bitcoinmagazine,etc)l

Perfect timing to explain how PPC is better, with a legitimate argument!

People taking it upon themselves to comment spam, mentioning PPC in order to promote the coin? :frowning: That’s a terrible idea that works AGAINST when you are trying to accomplish.

Use better channels than comment spam, please, otherwise you may be hurting PPC in the long run.

Remember! First impressions are everything. Let’s keep that in mind please…

With that said, thanks everyone for having your heart in the right place. We just need to channel our energy the best possible way.

For instance, you know those guys that put flyers on your windshield in parking lots while raining? Let’s not be that type of person that just aggravates the same people we are trying to reach out to…

[quote=“ppcman, post:27, topic:653”]Note: Moderator: Please leave this post up - It’s important to have an alternate view for the good of PPC.

[size=12pt]I think first impressions are everything.[/size]

The first time a new person hears about PPC, they don’t want to hear someone saying that PPC is nothing more than a spammer and scam coin on some news website, because of comment spam.

I know people are excited at promoting PPC, but in my opinion, this 72 hour Peercoin PR rush will cause more harm than good.

One interesting thing I came across today, was a couple of Cornell University researchers, who published the results of their theoretical paper talking how Bitcoin is basically broken and could be exploited BEFORE it was peer reviewed.

[the theory claims that people could mine a long length of their own private blockchain in secret, and then connect live to the bitcoin network and have everyone follow their pre-mined longer chain in order to earn more coins]

Since PPC uses Proof-of-stake, this is exactly how PPC is better than Bitcoin.

PPC’s proof of stake wouldn’t let that theoretical exploit be quite so simple.

A properly prepared news release should have been sent to the same media the reported against Bitcoin, and especially all friendly Bitcoin media sites (like bitcoinmagazine,etc)l

Perfect timing to explain how PPC is better, with a legitimate argument!

People taking it upon themselves to comment spam, mentioning PPC in order to promote the coin? :frowning: That’s a terrible idea that works AGAINST when you are trying to accomplish.

Use better channels than comment spam, please, otherwise you may be hurting PPC in the long run.

Remember! First impressions are everything. Let’s keep that in mind please…

With that said, thanks everyone for having your heart in the right place. We just need to channel our energy the best possible way.

For instance, you know those guys that put flyers on your windshield in parking lots while raining? Let’s not be that type of person that just aggravates the same people we are trying to reach out to…[/quote]

I can disagree with the post but still respect the spirit. This is a decentralized coin, I recommend everyone do what they feel is best. As stated in the original request, meaningful comments are always recommended. When I was helping run local Ron Paul grassroots initiatives around 2003, we were so removed from the mainstream that it was nearly impossible to get anyone to cover us. As a community, as we gained traction, so did our approach.

Just my opinion, I’d never ask anyone to do anything they didn’t want to do. I’m not a leader, just someone that has a high post count trying to assist. :slight_smile:

Item 5 - Posted

I basically agree to what ppcman said. It is good to spread the word, but it should not be too spammy. I can even understand the people who got aggressive against the PPC “spam”.

Let’s post comments only to news articles that really have to do something with Peercoin, such as the article about the Bitcoin flaw where there is a high probability that it would be way harder to perform on Peercoin.

Otherwise, we are doing this: ;D

[quote=“d5000, post:30, topic:653”]I basically agree to what ppcman said. It is good to spread the word, but it should not be too spammy. I can even understand the people who got aggressive against the PPC “spam”.

Let’s post comments only to news articles that really have to do something with Peercoin, such as the article about the Bitcoin flaw where there is a high probability that it would be way harder to perform on Peercoin.

Otherwise, we are doing this: ;D

[/quote]

Still have to disagree, but that’s okay, we expect some differences. If we wait until Peercoin is talked about, we’ll be in the position we were in 2003 with Ron Paul. We were ignored, period. We were ignored until they weren’t able to do it anymore. We took to the political forums and said our peace. Some created fantastic posts, some not so hot. Granted, the media claimed there was only a handful of Internet warriors but at least we were making news and more people came aboard.

This is VERY VERY common with grassroots campaigns. I encourage meaningful posts that contribute to a story while also helping to promote Peercoin. Not everyone will agree and that’s cool, they will choose a different approach. Spammy is bad, tactful but aggressive is a different direction.

If the next person that leads a PR campaign wants to take a different approach, you have my support. From my experience with Grassroots projects, you have to shake some feathers before anyone cares enough to give you the time of day. Do you know how many follow-ups I had to do with Coindesk before we got this interview? :slight_smile:

I’ve done quite a bit of research on the early days of Bitcoin, early adopters took a very similar approach. Nobody would listen… it’s only now that leaders are able to step up and craft specific messages. Just my 2 cents, I’m not offended if people head a different direction.

I like whats going on here and yes times are changing and if nothing is done for the coin then nothing will ever happen with it. So people need to get together and start action and planning ahead for the future or bit becomes a dead coin like many others faiths are sealed. Looking forward to the rest of what is to come :slight_smile:

I am not criticizing the campaign in general, just some things I think are “excesses”. It is good to concentrate at some days to spread the word in an organized manner. I highly respect you for organizing the interviews etc.

What I’m talking about are comments like “Peercoin is the solution to Bitcoin’s problems” in articles that don’t have nothing to do with Peercoin neither with the problems PoS/PPC does address. I know a grassroots campaign is not the same as a centralized marketing campaign where you can “plan” this comments in a more organized manner, but people should not be encouraged to spam.

The problem is that in the cryptocoin community there is a high degree of sensibility regarding “altcoin spamming”. You can see it at the altcoin forum in Bitcointalk. There are no serious discussions anymore, just giveaways, “announcements” and other marketing efforts for worthless coins without any innovations. Everyone wants to get rich quick. Most members of the Bitcoin community are not hostile against altcoins in general, but hate this kind of spamming. That’s why they react in the way like “maximian” in the Business Insider comment section.

So when they see that now also Peercoin activists do marketing the same way, what do they think? That Peercoin is a shit/scamcoin like the 1000 clones floating around at Bitcointalk. Do we want this? I think not.

“So when they see that now also Peercoin activists do marketing the same way, what do they think? That Peercoin is a shit/scamcoin like the 1000 clones floating around at Bitcointalk. Do we want this? I think not.”

For almost 10 years, the same thing was said about Ron Paul supporters. Critics never focused on the meaningful discussions, they focused on either the black helicopter types or those that were spammers. I hear where you are coming from and there’s certainly some overlap on agreement.

I want people to make up their own minds. While I’ll kick off campaigns, I certainly don’t want to try to control the message from other Peercoin holders. I would hope they would focus on solid posts, this community is new to this approach, it’ll get better over time.

“You can see it at the altcoin forum in Bitcointalk. There are no serious discussions anymore,”

Let’s be honest, there’s reasons why they throw all the alts into 1 cesspool type forum. It still drives traffic to the site while diluting any type of reasonable discussion. I agree that it’s a get rich culture, a majority of crypto enthusiasts appear to be very very young.

"The problem is that in the cryptocoin community there is a high degree of sensibility regarding “altcoin spamming”.

If we get stuck in the crypto community, I’m probably wasting my time. While I keep a few posts on Bitcointalk, I want to reach markets that never heard of us. It takes a lot of pounding to be heard. Like I said above, I’m not talking about spam… or at least what I consider spam.

"I highly respect you for organizing the interviews etc. "

Thank you, I look forward to someone else stepping in on all the different roles. It’ll take time, but it’ll happen. At that point, I’ll be extremely happy offering resources when I can and focusing on mainstream adoption.

Imagine if the alt forums had these types of real discussions. :slight_smile:

As an aside, I really enjoy the debate. It’s great when community members can flesh out differences.

ITEM 6 Live

This very forum, with all of its messages and threads like this very one, is producing content, that spiders will pick up and show up in the search results. People will find out about PPC while looking for discussions talking about Bitcoin. :slight_smile:

[size=12pt]PPCoin is better than Bitcoin in the long term.[/size]

So already we’re attracting attention just by talking here. Did you hear that google?

Reddit: subscribed and voted
Facebook: liked
Twitter: followed

So it looks like mtgox currently do not have plans to implement PPC, but I think they may in the future. They understand they are being pushed out of the market, and need to step up and add more currencies.