(NOTE: Old Thread) Peercoin Slogan: "Building a Better Bitcoin"

NOTE: This is an old thread that got bumped for some reason. I just want to make it clear that I no longer support the idea in the original post. I like our current slogan more than all the ones that have been listed in this thread. I think we should keep using it until something better comes along…

“The secure and sustainable cryptocurrency.”

JustaBitofTime suggested I post a thread about this. I asked him in the chat box whether he thought “Building a Better Bitcoin” was a great slogan for Peercoin. I’ve seen this slogan used a couple times on the forum, not sure who came up with it. I think it’s an aggressive statement to make.

While supporters of other alt-coins are looking forward to being the silver to Bitcoin’s gold, supporters of Peercoin are looking forward to replacing Bitcoin completely. Our goal is to be #1 because we believe we have a superior and more technologically advanced coin. I think the slogan fits. I mentioned to JustaBitofTime that it might cause some controversy among Bitcoiners, but that this is exactly what we want to happen as it would get their attention. What do you think?

Edit: Also, if anyone can think of something better, please post it here.

I think I need to think about this some more before I have an opinion.

On the one hand, yeah it would be great to ruffle some feathers and get attention by using that phrase. I think if the general public thinks of all cryptocurrencies as “Bitcoins” (that is to say, if the brand name has become an eponym for the entire product category like “kleenex”, “band aids” or “frisbee”) then it’s a great method to get the average person thinking about Bitcoin alternatives.

On the other hand, when we pass Bitcoin one day in popularity, then what? I always think of the power that taglines of successful long-term brands hold like Nike’s “Just Do It” and Apple’s “Think Different”. Maybe we should be thinking of something that will still capture the essence of the brand 20 years from now?

Sure, this is just an idea that was floating around. If anyone can come up with something better, feel free to post it.

Do you feel it would be a mistake to change slogans once Bitcoin is out of the way?

Seems a bit antagonistic to the Bitcoin crowd, though they are the grand competitor.

I need some time to digest this, too. But I agree that a slogan like “Building a better Bitcoin” has advantages and disadvantages.

It is for sure bold enough to make people pause and maybe think about it (plus I like the alliteration :slight_smile: ). If we can explain why Peercoin might be a better Bitcoin (and the environmental friendliness is for sure a good aspect!) then it might attract people rather than to affront them. Some will of course fight against that slogan and there are lots of arguments that can be brought forward against Peercoin.

One simple argument that will be used is the market capitalization. Peercoin (at the moment!) simply is not commercially important compared to Bitcoin. But this once more offers a lever to make Peercoin interesting. Because of the commercial success of Bitcoin there is a lot of money being invested in Bitcoin mining. Once miners realize that they can not mine Bitcoin profitably they might consider pointing their miners to a Peercoin mining pool. That is in fact one of the good reasons to directly compare Peercoin with Bitcoin: the PoW mechanism is the same!
…and they might think back to Bitcoins past when a Bitcoin was worth only a few bucks (in early 2011) and the might think about what could happen to Peercoin… Oh, you don’t want to make the same mistakes again, so maybe you don’t want to underestimate Peercoin! :wink:

Another argument might be that Bitcoin can be used for paying goods and services whereas Peercoin is not that widely used. This is hard to counter, because Peercoin is in a too early stage to have such a reputation. It will for sure take some time until Peercoin is accepted by the same amount of places.
But even though Bitcoin is quite widely available (in comparison to Peercoin) it is not very common to pay with Bitcoin. Bitcoin is far from being a replacement of fiat money for daily use. So this is no big disadvantage of Peercoin.

I don’t want to go any deeper in a theoretical debate between Bitcoin and Peercoin because one other thought I share with MeBeingAwesome is the timeless beauty of slogans like “Just do it”. Once there is a well-known and accepted slogan like “Building a better Bitcoin” it will be hard to replace this with a timeless one. In the future it might be a mistake to compare Peercoin with anything else that might become less important than it is now. But to face the truth: Peercoin hasn’t really had a start yet. Don’t take me wrong; I don’t second the idea of Peercoin just because of a lame fanboyism. I really am convinced by the technical superiourity of Peercoin over Bitcoin (and I don’t only like Peercoin, but Primecoin, Litecoin and Novacoin as well; that’s a different story…). I’d like to see Peercoin be successful. Considering the power comsumption of Bitcoin mining hurts.

Those who already know in detail about Peercoin and still stick to Bitcoin can hardly be convinced of Peercoin. And that’s ok. They are free to come to their own conclusions. But those who stick to Bitcoin because they don’t know about other crypto coins might be convinced of Peercoin.

And before you can convince them, you need to direct their attention to Peercoin!
So for the current stage it might be no bad idea to jolt someone from Bitcoinism by claiming that Peercoin is a better Bitcoin.

…this post might be edited later once I had time to think about this. Consider this my first, barely structured impression about the slogan :slight_smile:

[edit]
Rereading the post revealed some typos and one semantic error; corrected. I still think that “Building a better Bitcoin” has some flaws, although I don’t know a better slogan yet. For the time being I think “Building a better Bitcoin” bites more off Bitcoin than Peercoin can chew…
[/edit]

If not an official slogan, I can definitely see some weight behind it as a marketing campaign.

“Peercoin, Your Stake!”

“My Peercoin, My Stake!”

I can tell you with my experience with Feathercoin, unless we’re able to give them something to write about, the mainstream publications just won’t care. There’s a reason why it’s taken Litecoin years to even ‘slightly’ break out of the crypto community. Being Bitcoin’s silver to gold wasn’t worth writing about it.

Platin Coin
Green Energy
Coin full of Energy
Platin Coin - Power of Green Energy
Intrinsic Energy
Green Platin Coin
Coin for all humans, also the poor, how to express this in a positive manner
Platin Coin for a Green Earth

I’m hesitant on the antagonistic approach as well. Maybe after Sunny lets go of checkpoints and releases a new client we can take that road, but in the meantime I think it would be wise not to inflame folks on the bitcoin side. I have found many bitcoiners are threatened by innovation in altcoins, which is completely strange to me, but a reality. I don’t think peercoin is ready for a pissing match.

As others have mentioned it would seem “proof of stake” and it’s eco and security properties should be central to all messaging at this point. This advantage might be lost in the future if another coin implements POS but for now it is pretty compelling. I also think we should pitch the inclusionary nature of the coin as Jimmy seemed to suggest on this thread. It’s the people virtual currency, right?

I think you definitely want something that would stand the test of time on it’s own merits. You don’t see official slogans like “Chevy, better than Ford.” It’s just bad marketing. They’ll do something like that in their commercials, but don’t want to be seen as antagonistic in an official capacity.

Stake Security Sustainability?

I don’t think you should mention Bitcoin at all.

If it has a slogan at all is should specifically be about Peercoin’s superior innovation.

Something I think is good is:

“The Green Cryptocurrency”

Or

“Saving our energy, saving our planet, saving our money”

Or

Saving Energy, Saving Money

This directly relates to it’s energy efficiency aspect.

Anybody remember this? “Redefining the Nature of Currency” I always liked this one. Nature has a double meaning here.

[quote=“Alertness, post:13, topic:550”]I don’t think you should mention Bitcoin at all.

If it has a slogan at all is should specifically be about Peercoin’s superior innovation.

Or

Or

This directly relates to it’s energy efficiency aspect.[/quote]
+1

Perhaps something quite similar…

“PeerCoin - Stable. Efficient. Green. Because the future is at stake.”

[quote=“Alertness, post:13, topic:550”]I don’t think you should mention Bitcoin at all.

Or

Or

This directly relates to it’s energy efficiency aspect.[/quote]

[quote=“Barrios, post:16, topic:550”]Perhaps something quite similar…

“PeerCoin - Stable. Efficient. Green. Because the future is at stake.”[/quote]

In my opinion, this is too long. It needs to be shorter, easier to say and remember. That will make the message stick in people’s minds. I really like what Alertness came up with. “Saving Energy, Saving Money.” Two very important things to people and it’s easy to remember.

[quote=“Barrios, post:16, topic:550”]Perhaps something quite similar…

“Peercoin: The Future is at Stake”. Love this one. Easily my favourite so far. Succinct, powerful, and descriptive.

[quote=“MeBeingAwesome, post:18, topic:550”][quote=“Barrios, post:16, topic:550”]Perhaps something quite similar…

“Peercoin: The Future is at Stake”. Love this one. Easily my favourite so far. Succinct, powerful, and descriptive.[/quote]

That shorter version is much better and it makes sense to us, but I’m not sure if people outside the crypto community will understand what it means. I can hear people asking the question why is the future at stake? On the other hand, saving money and saving energy are big attention grabbers. I can hear people asking “How?” to this slogan, and then they go and look up Peercoin to find out how. Just my opinion. What do you think?

I feel like we’re getting really close! Some other ideas:

Peercoin: The Green Coin.

Peercoin: Our Green Future is Here.

Peercoin: Securing a Green Future.

Peercoin: Green is fucking great so use peercoin, bitches.