Newbie Thread - How to get started mining Primecoin

Total Noob here, but trying ever so hard to learn quick!

this is what the cmd prompt is spitting out when i’ve run jhprimeminer on port 8332…

primes/s: 1436 best difficulty: 4.171054
primes/s: 1832 best difficulty: 3.966857
primes/s: 1768 best difficulty: 3.624665
primes/s: 1122 best difficulty: 3.849262
primes/s: 1006 best difficulty: 4.681544
primes/s: 592 best difficulty: 4.475273
primes/s: 1207 best difficulty: 3.937341
primes/s: 1675 best difficulty: 3.942418
primes/s: 1766 best difficulty: 4.361694
primes/s: 648 best difficulty: 3.907355
primes/s: 1213 best difficulty: 3.954675
primes/s: 976 best difficulty: 3.932220
primes/s: 940 best difficulty: 4.872685
primes/s: 1447 best difficulty: 4.868898
primes/s: 1772 best difficulty: 4.971047

so, does this mean i’m mining? my ypool stats show my worker as ‘offline’

when i try to connect on ypool port 10034, i get an error code 0 message…

I started mining litecoin, but like primecoin much better. The problem is I have 20 machines (with more coming as I acquire them) and I do not want to deal with 20+ wallets; yes there are scripts where I can transfer coins to a primary wallet, but that is just something more to go wrong. Litecoin/cpuminer lets me mine on several PCs from a single wallet. People are posting about mining primecoin on several PCs, but I believe they are using a pool. I could use a pool (I am now) but I doubt I would qualify as a “small miner” anymore and I keep hearing at my size I should solo mine. In any case I am sick of people accusing me of being a bot miner, which I am not; since I retired I have time on my hands and am building a cluster for the fun of it and because I can. So, is there any way I can mine my 20 machines/100 cores into a single wallet without using a pool?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it should possible to use identical wallet.dat files on multiple computers. This way all clients you are running will have the same address(es).

I have seen a number of posts indicating that using the same wallet on different computers as you describe causes corruption, but it wasn’t clear to me if that is only if you open multiple QT clients at the same time on the copied wallets.

I have seen a number of posts indicating that using the same wallet on different computers as you describe causes corruption, but it wasn’t clear to me if that is only if you open multiple QT clients at the same time on the copied wallets.[/quote]

I use my Wallet on 4 PCs without any problem.
If you decide to do poolmining you won´t need the wallet running on the PCs doing the mining.

I’ve started mining for the first time using the original client for about 12 hours. I average between the range of 300-350 primepersec.

I’ve spent many hours reading and I’m still unsure of the answer to my question so I figured I would ask.

setgenerate true -1 I believe means my CPU is mining at full capacity -1 core. Am I reading this right?

Hypothetical question if I would want to run using all of my processing power I would then just type setgenerate true 4

?

Thanks for the thread, I’m very new to mining and there is a lot of good insight to be found here!

I managed to get my Windows PC mining earlier today, but it was crawling at a rate of ~3 primespersecond… Turns out I was using an old version of the Primecoin client by mistake. I updated from 0.1.0 to 0.1.2 and now I’m averaging around 780. Hope this is of some help to other fellow newbs who might be struggling out there with me.

On another note, is it possible to mine using OS X? I have a macbook lying around that I could get some use out of. I was thinking about just bootcamping into Windows and using the same method I am on my PC. I know this is probably a silly question, but is it safe to mine Primecoins on a late 2013 MBP, or any other modern laptop? I am concerned about the device overheating if I were to leave it running overnight.

EDIT: AhuraMada, the guide I used to get started states “type ‘setgenerate true -1’ to use all of your cores or ‘setgenerate true 4’ to use 4 cores” (http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316.0).

[quote=“solaaire, post:47, topic:249”]Thanks for the thread, I’m very new to mining and there is a lot of good insight to be found here!

I managed to get my Windows PC mining earlier today, but it was crawling at a rate of ~3 primespersecond… Turns out I was using an old version of the Primecoin client by mistake. I updated from 0.1.0 to 0.1.2 and now I’m averaging around 780. Hope this is of some help to other fellow newbs who might be struggling out there with me.

On another note, is it possible to mine using OS X? I have a macbook lying around that I could get some use out of. I was thinking about just bootcamping into Windows and using the same method I am on my PC. I know this is probably a silly question, but is it safe to mine Primecoins on a late 2013 MBP, or any other modern laptop? I am concerned about the device overheating if I were to leave it running overnight.

EDIT: AhuraMada, the guide I used to get started states “type ‘setgenerate true -1’ to use all of your cores or ‘setgenerate true 4’ to use 4 cores” (http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=316.0).[/quote]

You should try using ‘xolominer’ v0.8 (32&64bit) and see if your primes per second improves. You can read more about the miner and the pool here. It helped me out a lot, maybe it can do the same for you.

Thanks for the tip, I had been thinking about joining a pool and your post finally convinced me. There is even a way to use primeminer on os x, awesome!

Yeah joining a pool is nice and once you get that miner running, you should see a boost of performance too.

I got it working last night, improved my i5 4570 to a solid ~3000pps! I ended up bootcamping my MacBook as well, which hovered around 1300 until I shut it off. So yeah, a HUGE performance gain on my end. Thanks again.

I have been thinking about doing some cloud mining with that free $100 Amazon web service credit, but the task seems pretty daunting at this point considering I have never used such a service before.

I have been mining for over a week averaging around 300/350 primespersec. Before I headed off to bed last night I realized I had not encrypted my wallet so I proceeded to do so and when I tried mining again with an encrypted wallet I was mining at zero primespersec. I figured I would sleep on it and try again today but I am still getting zero primespersec when I run the client.

Can anyone shed some light on my misfortune?

I got it working last night, improved my i5 4570 to a solid ~3000pps! I ended up bootcamping my MacBook as well, which hovered around 1300 until I shut it off. So yeah, a HUGE performance gain on my end. Thanks again.

I have been thinking about doing some cloud mining with that free $100 Amazon web service credit, but the task seems pretty daunting at this point considering I have never used such a service before.[/quote]

Good to hear! Not sure about the Amazon, but I been using ramnode.com VPS and it has been working well.

[quote=“AhuraMada, post:52, topic:249”]I have been mining for over a week averaging around 300/350 primespersec. Before I headed off to bed last night I realized I had not encrypted my wallet so I proceeded to do so and when I tried mining again with an encrypted wallet I was mining at zero primespersec. I figured I would sleep on it and try again today but I am still getting zero primespersec when I run the client.

Can anyone shed some light on my misfortune?[/quote]

It is possible that your miner was turned off, try running in the debug window:
getmininginfo

If generate is set to false run this:
setgenerate true -1

I have a question about solo mining.
Is there any improvement if i copy the same wallet file on multiple PCs and leave them to mine at the same time?

Because i calculated, based on the blocks left for immature coins, that on a i7 CPU i mine about 50 blocks per hour. If i copy the same wallet file to another PC and turn on the mining at the same time, it also reduces the blocks left with the same speed about 50 blocks/hour.

So my question is does this method work at all (copying the wallet file to multiple PCs)? or every client just calculates its own speed?

Is anyone here mining on a Macbook Pro Laptop?

Is this safe to mine on a laptop? I know it is not for GPU mining due to heat. Im assuming it is dangerous on CPU as well? Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Not entirely related to the topic but if I mine with a single PC then how much power consumption are we talking about? Say that I let my PC run during the night under normal circumstances (basically just normal programs on like firefox or skype or word etc.). Now let’s say I want to mine, would it increase the consumption significantly? Sorry for the stupid question as I’m still new to this and prefer not having a letter sent home which says my electricity bill is over the roof. I was thinking at first that this may be similar to Litecoin till I realized that this is running on the CPU rather than multiple GPUS (which requires a bunch of other components to mine which raises the power consumption quite a bit)

Regards
Totality